Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

scmnz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2011, 9:10 pm

I joined the schools anime club because i like anime and my parents were urging me to be more "social" :roll: Its been a desaster. Its not an anime club, ive been part of it for 7 weeks and we've only watched 1 episode of anything. What actually has been happening is people arguing about fundraisers. apparently the seniors in the club plan to go to disney land together, and need money for that, so the whole club must work to earn money. Younger people, myself included, can't come. I don't see why i should have to work for them to go to disney land, its not what i signed up for. I don't know these people all that well anyway. People are also yelling at each other... There allot going on, but basically its a ton of drama, and i can't cope with it. I want to quit. The problem is, the other members have explosive tempers, so if i try telling them im quiting i know They'll yell at me. They have been tracking down members who just stopped comeing and demanding to know why they aren't at club, so thats not an option. How can i get out of this club, with as little drama or yelling as possible, because i just won't be able to handle that. What is the most polite way to quit, so they won't be angry? :(

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

Tell them you've decided that would not want to be in any club that would have you as a member.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

Maybe write a short letter, leave it with the club organizers, and just don't return. If they track you down to try and intimidate you into returning to the club so as to ensure they have finance for their trip I suggest you contact the administration

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:26 pm

I think a note might be a good idea, too. Maybe just write that you joined the club in order to watch anime. Explain that the club name was misleading as you've only gotten to watch one episode.

You gave it a good effort and stuck around for a few weeks out of good faith. But now you don't want to be a member anymore and you shouldn't be penalized for that.

Also, I agree with the above poster... if they track you down and try to harass you into joining again, report them to someone. They shouldn't be doing that.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

I wouldn't even give an excuse, write a short note stating this:

"I have attended the anime club for seven weeks. However, I will not be attending anymore as I have other committments that I am attending to.

Best wishes for the upcoming trip for the seniors and everyone else."
Thanks.
and then sign your name.

This way - you are letting them know you have moved on - but still being gracious and not making the others in the club feel uncomfortable.

Like others said, if someone pressures you into reasons or tries to harass you - just re-state "I have other interests and committments to attend to." If they continue, say, "I like to keep my personal business to myself, thanks." and change the subject or leave the area. If they continue - report them (if it is a school club) to the administration.

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

Just leave. I remember when I was in high school, I joined clubs and then just stopped going to meetings. When they ask you why you left just tell them that you've been busy.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 2:00 am

I would handle this Asperger style and just stop going.

The odds that someone would actually call me are exceedingly small, however, if they did call to inquire about my where abouts and why I have stopped coming to the meetings, I would simply tell them I've been busy. This would not be a lie as I most certainly would have found something quite important to occupy myself with in place of attending the club. In your case, that might be actually watching anime.

If they were to ask when to expect you back, I would tell them, when they stop arguing and start showing anime. If they then proceed to become upset, I might simply say "See?" tell them I have to go, bid them farewell, and hangup.

Then you may de-stress by going and watching the anime of your choice.

invisiblespectrum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2011, 2:34 am

I'd just stop showing up.

If someone asks why you haven't been coming any more, say you've been too busy.

I've belonged to quite a number of clubs at my university. People start and stop coming all the time. No one really thinks much of it.

sickforapathyx

30 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

Dude you really don't need to be that formal. Just stop showing up, and nobody will notice, its not like they are even going to think about you.

Sorry guys, but I dont agree with the whole leaving a letter thing at all. Have you guys been to many clubs at college?

Some "clubs" like an anime club are very cliquey, and interest specific. You should explore your interests in another club, with more friendly people.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

Do a giant turd and stick it right in the middle of class with a big sign in the middle of it saying "SCREW YOU!".

Actually, don't do that. ;)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 7:33 am

invisiblespectrum wrote:
I'd just stop showing up.

If someone asks why you haven't been coming any more, say you've been too busy.

I've belonged to quite a number of clubs at my university. People start and stop coming all the time. No one really thinks much of it.

+1

While a bit deceptive, if asked, just say that you are too busy with other things.

They are not entitled to specifics. I'd only give a specific reason(s) if there was a particular reason I left and felt they needed to know what it was.

invisiblespectrum

31 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
They are not entitled to specifics.

+1

I'd add that they're not entitled to anything.

I have a friend who is on the spectrum who has a really, really hard time not giving a full and truthful answer to every question he is asked. It's really hard for him to grasp the distinction between lying and just not offering very much detail. He feels like he has a moral obligation to tell everyone everything (often even if they didn't even ask). Try not to be like this. It can very easily get you in trouble.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

scmnz wrote:
What is the most polite way to quit, so they won't be angry? :(

"AW MAN, YOU KNOW, F*CK YOU GUYS. WHAT, THIS AIN'T NO ANIME CLUB. IT SHOUL BE CALLED THE POLITICAL, DO-NOTHING A.D.D. CLUB. SCREW YOU DI*KS I'M OUTTA HERE. HELL, THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE ON CAMPUS I CAN'T FIND ANIME. SEE YA."

Or, bring your concerns up with other younger members, see how they feel. I'd probably just leave, the club isn't living up to its purpose. If you see club members around school, just be pleasant like nothing's wrong and say you had other obligations. Maybe in the future you'll go back and it'll be more.... less worthless.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Tequila wrote:
Do a giant turd and stick it right in the middle of class with a big sign in the middle of it saying "SCREW YOU!".

LOL

Oh man...

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

Do you have any administrative commitments to the club? If not, just stop showing up. It's your time, so you can do whatever you want with it. Seven weeks is a good amount of time to decide that this club isn't working out for you.

I've been a member of many clubs/organizations, many good but some bad. Ironically, my high school anime club was one of the bad ones. This was back before DVD players were widely used and during the time when bootleg fansub VHS's were extremely popular. The only thing everyone wanted to watch was Utena Girl, and of course we couldn't watch anything that had higher than a PG rating. It was difficult to watch even subtitled anime shows in the club when everyone was bouncing off the wall like Kindergarten kids.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 9:38 am

Go to the teacher, or club president or whoever sponsors or runs the club and say "I'm not going to be able to keep coming back. Some other stuff has come up and I'm just not going to be able to make it". That's all you have to say. If they ask what the other stuff is, just tell them it's complicated. Then say "I've enjoyed it though, later" and leave.

It's not really a lie. The other stuff that's come up is all of their drama. You just don't tell them that. Saying you enjoyed it whether you did or not, unless it was a total fiasco that resulted in you losing a large sum of money or being humiliated or harmed, is simply the polite thing to do. If it bothers you to say you enjoyed it, then mean that you enjoyed what you watched. You do not have to go into detail.

If they keep after you, asking you later and such, say "Don't worry about it, I got this" and walk away.

I would not write a thank you note at all. Not unless this was something you were specifically invited to, attended for a long period of time, and in some way greatly benefited from it. Writing a thank you note would be seen as wierd. Don't do that.

Frances