Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:35 am

I'm interested in seeing my early school records roughly from 1963-1970. My psychiatric records from that time were destroyed in a fire. Do you contact the school? Are they kept this long?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Oct 2011, 6:41 am

When I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult in 2008, I was interested in seeing my school records---for standardized test scores and IQ scores. I entered elementary school in 1970. I contacted the school and they said they had them and would make copies of them for me. When I picked them up they told me I was lucky because they were in the process of thinking about getting rid of the school records that old. I would think they would have to keep those records. But this is a small school system with graduating classes around 110.

The first step is to contact your school and see if they have those for you. Then request copies of them if they still have them. When I contacted my school they had me talk to the guidance department since that was where the records were kept. Good luck.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:21 am

Thanks. It is so frustrating that my psych records were destroyed. This was the age before computers so everything was written down. Since I was undergoing treatment for my social difficulties and anxiety, I would be interested in seeing their assessment for me at the time. I remember taking the tests, particularly the one where they show you pictures and you have to make up a story. I saw a husband and wife psychological service and both are deceased. They were the ones who decided I was schizoid in 1974, provisional since I was still under 18. Still, my social difficulties were from early childhood so I'm not sure how they could have decided that. Asperger's of course was not on the radar back then.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:11 am

Depends on the school district and the state. I know in NY, the district is allowed to destroy your records once you turn 26 but if you went to a small district that had the room to store the old records and forget about them or a large district where things can be forgotten and lost, they might still exist.

I made a request for my records in 2003 and they should have been destroyed but the lady decided to look in the basement of one of the schools and low and behold, there they were, all the way back to when I was 3 years old. Granted some of the paper was barely copyable but they managed to do it.

Does not hurt to call but do not expect anything.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

10 years

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

I trew them all away 2 years ago :P 4 years too early but they can kiss my ass with their public educational crap.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

My school shredded mine far too early, including this picture I drew which I was really proud of. :cry: I'm so glad I photocopied it before they did that, but still, it isn't the original.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

What exactly are school records? Are they like IEP reports or the report cards? What exactly are they?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:47 pm

(Lyrics from "Kiss Off", by the Violent Femmes.)

Violent Femmes wrote:
I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record!
Oh yeah? Well, don't get so distressed.
Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?

Somewhere in a folder, in a cabinet, in a box, in the basement of the school administration building in my hometown, is my Permanent Record in microfilm, microfiche, or mimeographed form.

As if I care.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:44 pm

what exactly would be the benefits of doing this?

Sorry, I'm a little confused here.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 7:37 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
what exactly would be the benefits of doing this?

Sorry, I'm a little confused here.

I'm interested in seeing teacher comments about my behavior.

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2011, 8:36 am

Only speaking for the UK, but school records are legally supposed to be kept for 10 years after a person leaves school- so 26 or 28 depending on when you left.

School records have (in answer to a post)

- Health/contact info given by parents/carers
- Attendance figures
- Copies of school reports
- Records of behaviour issues and IBPs
- Special Needs children will have IEPs/Statements and all reviews
- Any child protection information
- Letters to/from parents specific to that child
- Any other information kept by school