Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DJRAVEN66
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2011, 1:33 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Absence seizures when I was growing up. Back then they were called petit mal seizures.
These days I still get spasms in my limbs when I get excited.

That happens to me all the time. people realy freak out when i get way to excited because it will send me into a grand-mal seizure.

DJRAVEN66
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2011, 1:37 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Absence seizures when I was growing up. Back then they were called petit mal seizures.
These days I still get spasms in my limbs when I get excited.

That happens to me all the time. people realy freak out when i get way to excited because it will send me into a grand-mal seizure.

Adriana
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2016, 5:59 pm

psychogenic blackouts autism

Dissociative (Non-Epileptic) Attacks

These are one of the commonest functional/ dissociative symptoms seen in neurology

Dissociative attacks are also called ‘non-epileptic attacks’, 'dissociative seizures', 'psychogenic seizures' and ‘functional seizures/attacks’. I have described them as ‘dissociative attacks’ on this website.

Dissociative attacks are disabling and frightening attacks that look very similar to epilepsy. People can experience shaking attacks or attacks when they simply ’blackout’ often for quite a long time

Unlike epilepsy, dissociative attacks are not due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain or another neurological disease. They are however due to a temporary problem in the way the nervous system is working, a bit like a trance like state. They are potentially completely treatable, although not with tablets and the treatment is not that easy.

Dissociative attacks are common. Nearly half of all people brought in to hospital with suspected serious epilepsy have them. Many patients with dissociative attacks will have been wrongly diagnosed as epilepsy at some point and may have even taken drugs for epilepsy.

What are the typical features?
There are two main types of dissociative attack:

1. With movements – typically the patient has thrashing movements that look just like a generalised epileptic seizure (previously called ‘grand mal’)

2. Without movements – in these attacks patients fall down to the ground and lie motionless and unresponsive, often for many minutes

Your doctor will be looking for specific and typical features of dissociative attacks that are different to epilepsy. These include:

• Long duration of attacks
• The nature of abnormal movements of your head and limbs if there are any
• The presence of a prolonged period of unresponsiveness
• The appearance of your eyes and mouth during the attack
• Whether you had any warning before the attack. “Warnings” before dissociative attacks can be of variable length. Their duration can vary from being completely absent, to several hours. There is sometimes a pattern of escalating and frightening physical symptoms before an attack, often with dissociative symptoms (see below and the page on ‘dissociation’).
• Patients with dissociative attacks often find it even harder to describe their attacks than patients with epilepsy

Making a diagnosis of dissociative attacks requires the doctor to be expert in the diagnosis of epilepsy, since epilepsy comes in many different forms. The two types of problem can look very similar, even to well trained observers such as paramedics, nurses and even hospital physicians

Why are my tests normal?
In dissociative attacks all the parts of the nervous system are intact, they are just not working properly at certain times. Your doctor will make this diagnosis after listening to what happens during an attack and talking to other people that have seen one .

Patients with dissociative attacks have normal brain scans and other tests such as an EEG or ‘brain wave’ test.

Am I imagining it then?
The answer is ‘no’ but click on ‘All in the mind’ above to find out more

Why do they happen?
Dissociative attacks are a complex problem. They arise for different reasons in different people. Often the symptoms are accompanied by feelings of frustration, worry and low mood but these are not the cause of the problem.

We recognise a number of different situations in which dissociative attacks can arise. Your symptom may fall in to one of these categories although often none of these appear relevant:

1. Randomly — One of the most confusing things about these attacks is that they often happen out of the blue without warning.

2. At rest not distracted - Dissociative attacks and the trance like state that goes along with them are more likely to occur when you are resting doing nothing, for example in bed or on the sofa. If you are distracted or focusing on something else, its difficult for that trance feeling to 'overtake' you.

3. With hyperventilation - In some people these attacks can occur at the same time as a shallow and rapid breathing pattern called hyperventilation. You may not even notice that you are breathing too fast but others may do so. If you are hyperventilating this may be making the attack worse. It is useful to know this because it may provide a way of stopping future attacks at an earlier stage. Other physical symptoms you may experience during an attack are hot flushes, a tight chest and tingling in your hands. Sometimes these symptoms are more clearly those of a panic attack.

4. With depersonalisation/derealisation—These words describe dissociative symptoms that many people have at the same time as their dissociative seizures. This is usually a frightening feeling that things around you are not quite real, or that you don’t quite feel connected to your body or a feeling that everything is far away and weird. If you have these symptoms it is helpful to know what they are and that they are part of the attack. Many people who have never experienced these symptoms before are so frightened by them that they think they might be dying. You can get an ‘out of body experience’ with these attacks but you cannot die from them.Often people describe being aware of people around them but being unable to talk to them.

Patients with dissociative attacks often have a brief warning least 50% of the time. Some have no warning. Others have a warning every time. Quite often patients start out with a warning which over time gets shorter and shorter and may disappear.

Learning about this warning phase, learning to prolong it and learning how the blackout may be your body's response to these horrible warning symptoms can be a key part of learning to overcome dissociative seizures

Click on Treatment to find out more in general and find the specific page on the treatment of dissociative attacks

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm

I've had two tonic-clonic seizures in my life: November 29, 2007 and March 19, 2008. I had simple partial seizures for the next six years until I had surgery to remove my left hippocampus on July 31, 2014. They were due to a lesion on my brain and a nonworking left hippocampus, which I suspect is the cause of all my mental problems, including Asperger's.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm

I used to get seizures up to about 10 years old. Now I just have shutdowns.

alk123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2016, 1:06 am

Been diagnosed with partial seizures, along with migraines. Taking meds for both.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 4:01 pm

I've had many partial/focal seizures, starting during puberty. Also, frequent deja vu to the point it seemed I was living years of my life over again :(

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 6:46 pm

I'm on meds for partial seizures and I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 8.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 5:06 pm

I have seizures/blackouts all the time. They are scary. When I was in high school, I would have them nearly every day.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2016, 5:44 pm

Been epileptic my whole life, but the seizures never occur if I take meds and get sufficient sleep. I used to experience myoclonic upper-body jerks if I didn't get enough sleep, or if my meds dropped out of therapeutic levels. Now I'm on lamotrigine, and things are fine with no jerks or seizures.

Tried to go without medication for awhile around age 20, things seemed to go OK but my very first grand mal seizure happened about a year later, so I've been on one med or another since then.

seaanemone17
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

Lamictal is indeed amazing. I started taking it for mood stabilization and depression, but it generally helps with what I /think/ are simple partial seizures. They hit out of nowhere. Sometimes they occur in clusters and mess up my ability to focus all day and make me feel irritable and sad. Other times I just get confused disorientation (I walked into a wall once as a result..).
It is a weird sensation when they are strong. I stay conscious, but everything fades to gray, I get dizzy, freeze in place or get wobbily, and the world seems distant. Also, I temporarily lose the ability to understand language. My seizures must mess with the Wernicke's area, because I can recognize the language as English but I lose comprehension of what the words mean. It is hard to describe.
Seizures are weird. Caffeine, lack of sleep or drinking alcohol the night before make them more likely to happen. But they can happen for no reason, too.