Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 3:54 pm

I'm wondering how many of you have had info/sensory overload that resulted in a blackout/seizure.
I've had two and both were... they felt like reality'd suddenly just got TOO real and then it was like someone hit the reset switch on the me-computer.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 4:51 pm

"they felt like reality'd suddenly just got TOO real"

Great description! I've felt that before but never managed to put it into words.
However, I never went "blank" or shut down.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 4:56 pm

I have had a few and they were quite scary.

Mainly when I am overloaded with loads of noise or light.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2006, 8:47 pm

diseased wrote:
I'm wondering how many of you have had info/sensory overload that resulted in a blackout/seizure.
I've had two and both were... they felt like reality'd suddenly just got TOO real and then it was like someone hit the reset switch on the me-computer.

That sounds very much like epilepsy. You may have both AS and epilepsy.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

26 Sep 2006, 11:57 pm

I know I do. Or rather used to. It is NOT helpful for your parents when they can't tell whether I'm doing an AS day-dream or having an absent fit (that's when you go into a trance, black out, and your eyes start rolling to the back of your head. Freaks out your parents when your six years old). You can imagine it was hard to add taking the medication to my daily schedule.

It was actually after my first 'true' fit that it was discovered that I had AS (A nurse commented on my odd walking style back then...).

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 12:05 am

I had 1 blackout but I hadn’t thought of it being related to sensory overload till now. I think it could have been though, I was at a collage play and there were a lot of people there, I think maybe it all just overwhelmed me.

That or it was from low blood sugar.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 2:01 am

Absence seizures when I was growing up. Back then they were called petit mal seizures.
These days I still get spasms in my limbs when I get excited.

Wolverine-X
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2006, 10:34 am

Yeap i get seizures when i have sensory overload especially from sound and cold temperature.
Seeing a neurologist and waiting for my diagnosis on epilepsy, he says i have mild epilepsy and now
i'm on anti-convulsants. Really helps me alot. :D

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 8:17 pm

I can recall many years ago I dabbled with some video games at a pin ball parlour and after a while my hole body threw itself into spasms and I was like a washing machine in the laundry when in was in the spin dry cycle started shaking because the washing load was off center.

Game Over!! !

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 9:01 pm

I think I may have some form of myoclonus or something, although I need to go to a doctor to see if I really have it or not. I have these weird jerks in my upper body that tingle a little bit sometimes. Another thing that happens is that I have dreams every once in awhile about having a seizure, and once a few months ago I dreamt that I was having a bunch of these myoclonic jerks in a short period of time that felt pretty real (although I'm not sure, since it was only a dream). My brother also walked by when I was taking a nap once and said I was jerking a bit while sleeping.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 9:10 pm

Actually, I just remembered this morning that I've had 3... the most recent one was about 3 years ago at the dentist.
I have a morbid fear of dentists and had to go in for an extraction. They recommended an oral sedative for the anxiety. Took it... waited the recommended duration... still felt pretty panicky. Went ahead with it anyway.
Dentist gets in there, does his thing and they start to sit me back up when I felt that pre-seizure feeling. Had enough time to warn them (which was nice of me, I thought) and then next thing I know I'm looking up at the ceiling and wondering why everyone's looking down at me, and hey, my wife's here... wait, she was in the waiting room, why is she here? And then the "disk restore" kicks in and I realised that I'd rebooted. Apologised to the dentist for biting him (don't remember doing it, but apparently I'd bitten him as he was attempting to put something in my mouth to prevent me from gagging).
The funniest (at least to me) bit was in the waiting room as they're wheeling my groggy ass out. Sometimes after I seize, the nausea hits me and I lose my lunch. I can time it to within a second usually. This time, sure enough, here it comes. I tell my wife "Hon, I'm sorry but I'm gonna puke in 6 seconds."
Mass panic ensues as the twit of a receptionist tries to find something "suitable" for me to barf in. My wife keeps her cool, says "Just gimme the damn trashcan, ok?" and right as I hit 1, yay, trashcan in front of my face, thank you dear.
Went home, took a warm bath, went to bed n slept for 18 hours.

edit: we did finally discover that one of my main triggers (aside from panic/anxiety) was pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 11:23 pm

^Wish I could do that! The timing, I mean.

In a way
We all go there

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 1:49 pm

It can be pretty handy at times.
I wound up embarassing the hell out of myself a couple of times as a kid by trying to control the vomiting thing and, obviously, not being able to so I probably just remembered the warning signs etc down to a T. Wound up projectile barfing on a cashier in a gas station one Christmas when I was 8 or so. Not fun.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 2:12 pm

I have very mild, unmedicated Neocortical Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. I mostly experience simple partial seizures and these are usually brought on by being tired or over-stressed. I experience a "brain buzz", vertigo, louder tinnitus, motor tics along my left upper side, flashes of white light, and on occasion when it gets bad I see different colored spots (yellow, red, or purple).

Thankfully, most of my seizures occur either while I'm in bed or when I'm at home. I rarely have them when I'm out and about. Which is why I've not sought medication for them.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:28 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Absence seizures when I was growing up. Back then they were called petit mal seizures.
These days I still get spasms in my limbs when I get excited.

Ah yes, I had those, too. Sometimes strobe or flashing lights would set them off.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:36 am

For me, absent (or abscence, whatever you prefer to call them) fits happened at any old time. My mum said that when I was younger, at dinner she could wave her hand in front of my face and it wouldn't do anything at all.

In a way
We all go there