Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

Tacitus wrote:
Sweetleaf,

I don't have any clue where you live, but I do know of a commune for people who are as Alex put it " Neurodiverse."

Down in southern Georgia where I originally come from there is the commune in question. They grow their own food and teach each other skills of life and living and are very excepting of each other's differences.

My buddy is a pagan in some tree-hugging religious order of some sort or other, yet many are Baptists, Methodists, Mormons, Catholics, and Atheists. They except each other fully. They all do businesses together and for the common good. No requirements except a desire to learn to love yourself so you can be capable of loving others.

Many AS people have difficulty expressing emotion, but, just attempt to give your all and you can expect nothing less from them.

Anyway, send me a message if you want me to ask my buddy for further information about the commune and we will go from there in whatever way you are most comfortable.

Well I suppose finding an already existing one could work to......though I would probably have to try and find something closer, not quite ready to leave everyone I know thousands of miles behind but that is cool.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Snow removal is running a snow blower or maybe a bit of shoveling. The landscape part could be running a weed wacker, leaf blower or trimmer.

Roofers need help picking up debris that they throw down. I worked on a crew and never went up on the roofs.

I've bussed tables. When it gets busy, no one will treat you like crap. You've gotta turn over those tables or the wait staff doesn't make as much money.

Every job I've ever had from the roofing crew to scientific research, has some obnoxious twit working there. It might be the over sharing train wreck drama queen, insane micro managing boss (current problem), to psychos that have some DMIV personality disorder waiting for an official diagnosis. It's like the universe parses out one miserable employee per job.

Just letting you know, us NTs worry about crummy co workers too....

The shoveling would not bother me.......but loud motorized tools for long periods of time would be too much for me, might sound like I'm being picky but that is one sensory issue I cannot overlook.

I could totally pick up debris, though I don't know they hire for just that position, if so though its always something to look into.

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 1:00 am

An established commune has strong social values. Friends and neighbors, squabbles, the whole fun deal of living in community.

I think you would expect to pay rent for your piece of land. Or room. Or whatever.

Best bet is to start your own, someplace where you know the landowners.

jesseiNhD
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2011, 2:30 am

Tawaki wrote:
Snow removal is running a snow blower or maybe a bit of shoveling. The landscape part could be running a weed wacker, leaf blower or trimmer.

Roofers need help picking up debris that they throw down. I worked on a crew and never went up on the roofs.

I've bussed tables. When it gets busy, no one will treat you like crap. You've gotta turn over those tables or the wait staff doesn't make as much money.

Every job I've ever had from the roofing crew to scientific research, has some obnoxious twit working there. It might be the over sharing train wreck drama queen, insane micro managing boss (current problem), to psychos that have some DMIV personality disorder waiting for an official diagnosis. It's like the universe parses out one miserable employee per job.

Just letting you know, us NTs worry about crummy co workers too....

I find the underlined sentence, in particular, quite distressing, and of possible recall for further assessment. I find it very much, in addition to the statement, weary of those who continuously stammer 'NT/Neurotpical' , when semantically/more accurately so would be 'phenotypical'. More on this lovely subject can be found within the works of "The Extended Phenotype', by Richard Dawkins.
'Some DSM', although indirectly, is referencing my 'schizoid/typal', comorbid with ocd + chronic insomnia.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Define "abnormal".

If you're talking about aspies in general, basically anything that doesn't require you to build and maintain strong client relationships, which includes things like convincing a prospective client to go play golf with you.

WildMan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2011, 8:31 am

JSNS wrote:
Academia , people are intelligent enough not to be driven by the instinctual top-ape habit of bullying.
In this world , you are driven by your own need of knowledge like everyone else , you can reach the ladder quicker by brillance in contrary to people who suck up to thier bosses and snitch on thier co-workers , all to climb the rungs of the ladder.
Considering brilliant people are usually the odd ones out but thier comes exceptions , you can reach further to a world class stance by creatively finding ways to gain more knowledge. Aspies are born with something called divergent and lateral thinking and instinct detachment , they are also born with ability fostering , ego-strength and ethics. Perfect for academia where aberrance is tolerated through brilliance.

One in four PhD graduates will go on to get assistant professorships. Before the crisis it was one in two. It's a high risk career path, and so many jump into it because most rookie grad students are naive and blinkered. Then again, for some it's about the journey rather than the destination. Lofty thoughts can be thunk as one stocks shelves.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 9:12 am

Can you drive well? There are plenty of weird people in transportation doing long haul driving with lots of solitude. Also many transportation jobs still have demand. The "regular" folks especially the married ones tend to quit.

For you I would not recommend Truck Driving. I think it's more stressful and you might not care for the noise and vibration of the big diesel engine. I quit trucking and started being an Expedited Freight Van driver. It is similar to trucking in the way you move freight but it's smaller and you have less regulations then the big trucks. You can skip by the Weight Stations.

The requirements aren't much. You might be asked to get a Chauffer's license or a Class C CDL. Whatever company you run with will have a Doctor do a physical and give you a medical card.

The job is a lifestyle change though. I have a small bed in here behind the seats and typically go out on the road for a month on average and I'm based out of my parents' place so I'm saving on rent. I take a few books with me. Have my satellite radio and MP3 player. I have my laptop getting on Wifi like right now.

It's a neat way to see the country if you feel you're up for long drives.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

MacDragard wrote:
Define "abnormal".

If you're talking about aspies in general, basically anything that doesn't require you to build and maintain strong client relationships, which includes things like convincing a prospective client to go play golf with you.

Well I am talking about aspies like me who also have depression, anxiety, PTSD.........but yes a job that requires such things would probably be hell for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Can you drive well? There are plenty of weird people in transportation doing long haul driving with lots of solitude. Also many transportation jobs still have demand. The "regular" folks especially the married ones tend to quit.

For you I would not recommend Truck Driving. I think it's more stressful and you might not care for the noise and vibration of the big diesel engine. I quit trucking and started being an Expedited Freight Van driver. It is similar to trucking in the way you move freight but it's smaller and you have less regulations then the big trucks. You can skip by the Weight Stations.

The requirements aren't much. You might be asked to get a Chauffer's license or a Class C CDL. Whatever company you run with will have a Doctor do a physical and give you a medical card.

The job is a lifestyle change though. I have a small bed in here behind the seats and typically go out on the road for a month on average and I'm based out of my parents' place so I'm saving on rent. I take a few books with me. Have my satellite radio and MP3 player. I have my laptop getting on Wifi like right now.

It's a neat way to see the country if you feel you're up for long drives.

Nope, I get distracted too easily........I am ok at long distance driving without much traffic especially if I'm listening to music. But I suck at driving in towns/cities far too many distractions and too many situations that could cause too much anxiety resulting in anxiety attacks which aren't safe when you drive.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2011, 5:14 am

I once spent a weekend in a Hari Krsna temple. A life of order. Get up at certain times. Eat at certain times. Religious services at certain times. But here's the good bit. They don't taste the food that they cook until after it has been cooked and offered first to Krishna. Their top cooks are quite good cooks. They train their own from within.

So join up. No wage, but shouldn't cost you either. Learn to be a cook. A structured life. Different. Interesting. Then when you are an excellent cook, leave and start your career as a cook or chef.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 10:51 pm

I think I've found the perfect job........just don't know if I should go full time or not, because it's cold outside so I might only be able to handle it as a daytime job, otherwise I have to go shopping for the proper cold weather gear.