Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 4:30 am

I have a few odd food habits. If it was left up to me I'd mostly just end up eating meat, fish and rice with the occasional baked potato. Most vegetables taste bitter to me, although my friends insist that they can't taste the bitterness in them. I also have problems with knowing when I'm hungry or thirsty. I can feel the sensations of hunger and thirst but it seems like my brain takes a while to fully understand that the pain means I need to eat. I also have problems telling when I'm full, so once I start eating it doesn't occur to me to stop until either all the food is gone or I feel like I'm about to puke from being overly full. I also find that I often get the urge to sort colourful foods such as skittles into their colour categories before eating them. I can't eat food that has fat on it or any stringy bits and some food textures make me feel really sick.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

14 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

I wont ever finish a meal.
I always eat off of the same plate.
I drink all liquids (except for water) out of a glass with a spoon.

There are more that I would list but I'm not exactly keen to reveal all about my ED in a AS community. 8O

The_Wanderer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:

There are more that I would list but I'm not exactly keen to reveal all about my ED in a AS community. 8O

That's funny you say that, I'm in recovery from my ED too. I have been to sooo many different hospital's and therapists because of it. I even had to spend a couple months in a residential treatment center for males with ED's. Feel free to P.M. me anytime. I know what your going through isn't easy. If you ever need somebody to talk to that understands, you know where to find me :wink:

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2011, 4:43 am

My eating habits I guess are quite odd, I do the same thing with kitkats, eat all the chocolate off, pretty much any chocolate bar is eaten in that way. I completely understand the crusts thing, I get them out of the way first too, I don't like foods being too crunchy or dry, I was alot worst as a child but I still don't like it now.

My cereal has to be soggy, I will throw away any crispy fries, I don't like food that isn't aesthetically pleasing so if a banana has a brown spot I won't eat it, if a crisp(potato chip) has a burnt bit, or one of those gross greeny / undercooked bits that is discarded too. Squash has to be sickeningly sweet, I will only drink diet fizzy drinks because regular coats my teeth in a layer of sugar that makes me retch. I eat all the good bits first and leave the not good until last apart from one bit. To explain I'll use yesterday's dinner as an example, I had sweet and sour chicken with rice, the chicken was coated in batter, I love those little squidgy tasty balls (if you sniggered at this then dirty minds think alike :lol: ). I had 4 pieces on my plate so I ate 3, then ate the rice / vegetables before really savouring the last bit (after carefully picking off and eating any bits of rice that had become stuck to it).

Hot chocolate has to be made in a specific way or it doesn't taste right to me. I get options instant hot chocolate, I pour the satchet in, add about 1/4 cup full of milk, stir, add boiling water until the cup is half full and stir, add more milk, stir, add more water stir but leave a small gap so I can top up with milk. This ensures that the powder is completely dissolved and I don't get that disgusting gunk at the end of the cup and the large amount of milk makes it the right temperature. If I'm having marshmallows they have to be added before any water because then they will be slightly melted, nothing worst to me then a dry, slightly powdery marshmallow.

I have certain ways of preparing / eating virtually everything that passes my lips and I have set meal plans and eat the same food for weeks or months (not the exact same but for example I have 7 different meals that I have and I will buy those same foods for probably the next 2/3 months before I move on to something else). Up until recently I never thought it was strange, I assumed everybody did things this way or in similar ways (had their own little rituals). A major factor being that my husband is the same with eating things a certain way, certain foods and they have to be prepared a certain way, same with my daughter, so it never seemed like it might be unusual until I started reading bits and pieces on here.

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

I eat my food in a certain order, in a bit of repetitive manner. I also eat a lot of food in abundance throughout the day, but sometimes I just don't feel the urge to eat something even though I'm feeling hungry.

baylor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2011, 1:12 am

i don't eat veggies (except for fried okra/onion rings) and most fruit

Kris30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

I always take my meals in stages. i work my way around the plate taking each food in turn.

Auntblabby, no olives? Olives are awesome! with mayo, with cheese, with pesto! They're a 5 star motherf**king epic of an orgasim to the tastebuds!! :lol:

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

Well, I certainly do have weird eating habits.

I don't eat from used plates, cutlery. Nor can the food be cooked in anything which has been previously used. No-one can have touched the food obviously either.
I use plastic cutlery/plates/cups. This obviously means that i never go to any public restaurant or anything.

I also eat/drink the same thing for nearly every meal.

It's an OCD thing >_< !"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

Kris30 wrote:
I always take my meals in stages. i work my way around the plate taking each food in turn.

Auntblabby, no olives? Olives are awesome! with mayo, with cheese, with pesto! They're a 5 star motherf**king epic of an orgasim to the tastebuds!! :lol:

sorry, i don't mean to disrespect your favorite food, but this said, olives make me hurl. they are just too sour/bitter and metallic for me to stomach. they taste to me how rotten rubber smells. i can't even handle food that has olives in it, even with the olives removed their obnoxious flavor is left behind. i must be one of those supertasters who is extra-sensitive to bitterness. and i like mixing my foods all together in a big smooshing goulash of a heaping pile in the middle of the plate, or better yet in a big bowl. the only things i won't mix are fruits and veggies, i must always keep those separate, same for sweets and everything else.

Kris30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kris30 wrote:

sorry, i don't mean to disrespect your favorite food, but this said, olives make me hurl. they are just too sour/bitter and metallic for me to stomach. they taste to me how rotten rubber smells. i can't even handle food that has olives in it, even with the olives removed their obnoxious flavor is left behind. i must be one of those supertasters who is extra-sensitive to bitterness. and i like mixing my foods all together in a big smooshing goulash of a heaping pile in the middle of the plate, or better yet in a big bowl. the only things i won't mix are fruits and veggies, i must always keep those separate, same for sweets and everything else.

fairplay, I guess there are worse things than disrespecting the olive!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

Kris30 wrote:
fairplay, I guess there are worse things than disrespecting the olive!

and i can't handle bitter beer, either :eew: too bad there are so few non-bitter ones out there. molsen golden and keystone light are about it. the secret to non-bitter beer, is to minimize the hops.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 8:54 am

I am a vegan now but when I did eat meat I used to hate eating chicken off the bone. It felt weird as if I was consuming human flesh but most stuff that's skinless and boneless are manufactured in a factory so its easier to just be a vegan :p I'm not sure to say I have weird eating habits but I'm sure my manners can use an upkick since eat alone most of the time xD

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2018, 9:03 am

Lol snail is a delicacy where I'm from (Yoruba Nigerian) so I actually love it, though West African snails are very big. They can be as big as the size of a fist.

Back to the original post though, it sounds to ne like it's a texture thing. It's why I like oranges and not apples. You never know, you could subconsciously find it hard to eat certain foods because of nutrition or the effect it has on your body.

I used to only eat soft food and very little carbs and then when I started eating hard food again, I realised I was very prone to inflammation, especially my gums so you never know

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 6:18 pm

Goldilocks wrote:
Lol snail is a delicacy where I'm from (Yoruba Nigerian) so I actually love it, though West African snails are very big. They can be as big as the size of a fist.

Back to the original post though, it sounds to ne like it's a texture thing. It's why I like oranges and not apples. You never know, you could subconsciously find it hard to eat certain foods because of nutrition or the effect it has on your body.

I used to only eat soft food and very little carbs and then when I started eating hard food again, I realised I was very prone to inflammation, especially my gums so you never know

Well my folks had a lot of problems getting me to eat chicken as a kid so yea. It probably was a texture thing now that I think of it though. I do eat quickly so that's a thing. Don't know to say its weird but only if I'm playing a game or something then it slows me down a bit.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 6:10 pm

I don't have any food tastes that are particularly weird, but I do eat very slowly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 10:08 pm

I always gotta thoroughly lick out or scrape out and eat, any leftover traces of food inside a food package or can. I use the resultant can-wash as a liquid when I make my various flavors of faux-goulash.