Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 1:35 pm

Quote:
I used to be poor. I got used to it. Now I put 15% of my income into tax-deferred mutual funds and continue to live like I'm poor.

I'm doing something like this now too. I live really low right now, not really into expensive hobbies or going out much....except for skiing. I live on maybe $800 month including food and car insurance but save anywhere from $1000 to $1500. I am getting a line of credit this week to pay off a camp and some land I got. When that is done it can be collateral for mortaging rental property. I'm going to be well off and I'm going to work for it too. I lived a rather poor life with my mom and sister before. I think we learned alot from it. But then we had our dad and stepmother a few miles away who had 6 figures comming in and a pool in the back yard.
I've seen both sides really and there's benefits to both.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 6:05 pm

I've been poor pretty much all my adult life. Likely I'll be a lot poorer in the future.

I done been to college, but it ain't done me no good, job wise. Send a guy nobody can stand being around to college, and you get an educated guy nobody can stand being around.

There's been a couple times I had money. Contrary to what most people think, that didn't do no good neither. I must be pretty f****d up, they couldn't even do a blues song about me. I don't care if I'm poor, but I don't want to be hungry in the rain.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 6:42 pm

I know that it's evil
I know that it's got to be
I know I ain't doing much
Doing nothing means a lot to me
Living on a shoestring
A fifty cent millionaire
Open to charity
The rock'n'roll of world affairs

Sitting in my Cadillac
Listening to my radio
Suzy baby gets on in
Tells me where she wants to go
I'm living in a nightmare
She's looking like a wet dream
I got myself a Cadillac
but I can't afford the gasoline

I got holes in my shoes -
and I'm way overdue...
I've got the down payment blues...

Get myself a steady job
Some responsibility
Can't even feed my cat,
On Social Security
Hiding from the rent man,
Aww, it makes me wanna cry!
Sheriff knocking on my door
Ain't it funny how the time flies?

Excerpt from "Down Payment Blues" by AC/DC, from the album "Powerage"

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 10:10 pm

OK hermit, I guess you proved me wrong about the blues song.

So I gotta have a limey educate me about american culture.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

lae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 1:12 am

There's a lot worse things than being poor, and having grown up poor.
There are so many people out in the world who seem to look down on people if they aren't prosperous, even if they are not looking for handouts. I noticed this about my "stepfamily" and their friends. I wonder if that attitude is an NT thing or an America kind of thing.

bonzo_dog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2006, 1:56 am

MrMark wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Sadly they seem to be almost all automated, these days.
How about fire-watching in the US forests? From a couple of distant contacts I gather that's still a little more current.

Those jobs are not as common as they used to be due to satallite survalence and "hands-off" forest management. However, Forest Ranger is still a possibility.

Re: fire watchers. DEFINITELY so. In fact, most fire lookout stations that existed a couple of generations ago have been completely torn down.

I'm not sure if Forest Ranger is what to look for if your desire is to find a job where you have a hermit-like existance. Many forest rangers, after all, interact extensively with visitors.

One possibility that I have read about is in scientific fields such as wildlife biology, if your job is to go "into the field" to observe and collect information.

persilultra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2006, 3:26 am

I think I am quite poor. I am living on my friends sofa, I cannot claim benefits because it will affect his housing benefit. I am no closer to finding employment and I have zero cash in the bank. It is only hand outs from my parents that keep me from a cardbox of my very own.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 7:09 am

I've been poor as long as I can remember, always had diffcultes finding and keeping down work. I'm in university now and can hope for a reasonable paid job in the long run. However for the next two or three years I am going to be finanically limited, means I can't do things like buy a car, going on holidays, etc.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 10:27 am

I'm existing...health problems usually prevent me from holding down or keeping any job for an extended amount of time...and the area that I'm in is poor to begin with...alot of people are struggling...if you're sick there are always 10 people in line ready to fill your job when you can't work.

Trash day is more like shopping day or "neighborhood swap"...and the local rummage sale has a bigger opening day turn-out than the new Target...and if you're not in line a 1/2 hr before they open the doors you're not getting anything.

I do alot of trading...I'm good at fixing some things...computers etc. That helps.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 6:25 pm

Beenthere wrote:
I'm existing...health problems usually prevent me from holding down or keeping any job for an extended amount of time...and the area that I'm in is poor to begin with...alot of people are struggling...if you're sick there are always 10 people in line ready to fill your job when you can't work.

Trash day is more like shopping day or "neighborhood swap"...and the local rummage sale has a bigger opening day turn-out than the new Target...and if you're not in line a 1/2 hr before they open the doors you're not getting anything.

I do alot of trading...I'm good at fixing some things...computers etc. That helps.

It's a lot like that here. Almost no jobs, and a lot of us scavenge.

Gracebewithyou
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2006, 9:59 pm

Im also not working right now,and Im taking tutoring session for my Ged .After that Im going to take a nurses aid class.

John 15:18-20 ?If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it..