Winter and Behavior (or percieved behavior) Changes

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 9:24 am

What types of changes or problems with the Fall Winter season do others here experience?

For me-already with eye problems indoor environments with people are more difficult-even as the sharpness of the cold excites my skin leaving me feeling renewed.

I've noticed by watching the behaviors of nts towards me--the concerned looks or antics of anger directed my way, that I must be projecting undesireable actions. It drives me "insane" and causes me to withdraw.

However, my karate teachers are not going to permit me the 3 month vacation I need to stay safe from the victimization I feel by experiencing all the misunderstandings and when experiencing the extra stimulus of a flourescent room in the dark of day I am unable to produce the ass end of a conversation to save myself.
In other words, they want me to go ahead and winter with them.
I don't want to winter with ANYONE-I want to protect them from my strangeness, by making myself scarce.

Any tips or tricks others have learned to look/act normal for others while ones head is skipping and begging for a dark room, a pizza, a coke and a good movie?

Or just comments or other experiences?

I just can't seem to get along with people.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

SheDevil
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2006, 11:06 am

SeaBright,
A dear Aspie friend has declared that all of his personal relationships are on a collision course, that every single relationship is on track to explode. Additionally, all hell is breaking lose at work for him, heated confrontations and hostility are driving him over the edge. He definitely attributes it to the seasonal changes, the early darkness and the strength of the sun during daylight hours.

As an NT, the change in seasons has altered my mood somewhat, but no where to the extent he is complaining about.

Has anyone tried a tanning salon?

Good luck, it sounds awful.

SheDevil

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 1:38 pm

It might not be you. I notice other people's behavior decline starting in September, culminating in an increase in crime shortly before Christmas.

- Emerson

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 4:36 pm

I don't know if this will be of help to anyone, but I started using a lightbox about a month ago after noticing I started to get depressed every year around the beginning of September. My friend who has seasonal affective disorder (SAD) recommended I tried one, and it has helped a lot. The usual seasonal blues hasn't appeared :-)

It's just a very bright light, and I sit with it by my desk while working at the computer. I know they are expensive to buy (around £100) but there is a company in the UK which hires them out so you can try before you buy.

I don't want to use WP to advertise, but if anyone wants to PM me, I can give you the website.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2006, 5:25 pm

My behavior tends to decline when winter comes. In fact, whenever school is cancelled due to snow, I get moody because snowy roads means I can't hang out with friends, and heavy snow also means helping my parents shovel snow.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 5:34 pm

I love the cold. Heat, in general, is unbearable to me--I don't know if it has to do with AS or just my being heavy and having too much insulation.

The lack of light, though... Well, I could do without that. I love light--I have two 100-watt bulbs on in my room whenever I study; and a third and fourth to turn on if I want more light. I don't even have trouble with the new flourescent bulbs; it's only when they're the older sort that visibly flicker and hum that there are problems.

Cold=good
Dark=bad

Mixed blessings.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2006, 7:28 pm

Actually, I'd never noticed it till my wife brought it to my attention, mentioning that every September I start cycling down from my summer high-point.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

01 Oct 2006, 7:34 pm

Callista wrote:
I love the cold. Heat, in general, is unbearable to me

Cold=good
Dark=bad

Yeah me too. Plus I feel less fear when less people are outside like late at night. In the
winter time less people are out. Anyway I have allways felt that my most productive work will be done in the winter(not sure if its true).

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2006, 12:03 am

SheDevil wrote:
SeaBright,
A dear Aspie friend has declared that all of his personal relationships are on a collision course, that every single relationship is on track to explode. Additionally, all hell is breaking lose at work for him, heated confrontations and hostility are driving him over the edge.
Has anyone tried a tanning salon?

Good luck, it sounds awful.

SheDevil

lol!
(tanning salon....hmmm....maybe the key!)
tell your dear friend he is not alone. even yesterday the women were at my throat-all I can do is grit my teeth, keep from killing them, wait it out or at least wait for their madness to result in something I can legitimately defend as self defense in court. Usually I just loose the job and move on, noting to note go THERE again. funny00 its always the big dusty warehouses with the poor laborers and the huge dreary flouresents attempting an imitation at light.

I haven't tried a tanning salon, no, to cure this; though maybe..
usually the tanning people want to bully me into contracts, ect, when all I want is a pay per tan.

I will try it, ty.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2006, 12:20 am

ok..I definately like that tanning idea. (chemicals, ceretonin, and all of that D production, ect ect dont know what Im talking about but know the ballpark I am in)

thanks starr! I googled lightbox and am going to read up on it and sad and maybe adjust the lighting.

I do think it is a general phenomena with people too. Im looking for a cure all for my noticing it-and it just doesnt exist.

rose colored glasses anyone? :wink: