Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 1 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

So I'm going to create an official Wrong Planet conference / festival that'll be really big. Basically, It's going to be the biggest autism conference/festival in the world and will focus on showcasing the talents of individuals on the spectrum. It'll also be a great way for all of us to meet one another in person and hang out with others on the spectrum.

We'll have autistic musicians performing, talent shows, and other ways for you to get involved in sharing your talents. We could have contests, and ways for everyone to get involved. And we'll have a singles ball for single aspies to mingle with members of the opposite sex.

There will be events for parents and family members too and the whole conference will be open to anyone.

I want to do this conference in Las Vegas or in Hollywood at a nice hotel. We'll be able to get sponsors to pay for travel and hotel for those who cannot afford to attend on their own. This is not something I have any experience doing, however, so I'm going to need help from everyone here.

Basically this will be a week long festival where we all get to hang out and engage in fun activities together and give fun talks and what not. It'll be like Comicon but instead of dealing with comic book characters and that aspect of geek culture, this con will be all about how cool it is to be autistic.

Anyway, I really want to see what you guys think about this. No one has ever created a conference like this so ours will be the first of its kind.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

Fantastic! You already know I'm there!

With the right amount of enthusiasm and hard work, this will doubtlessly be a defining week in autism culture. I'm so excited that you thought of this!

I think this will be a tremendous opportunity to meet our online friends, network, and discuss important current and future events in the autism world.

The singles dance will be especially fun.

I'm very enthusiastic about this! How about the rest of you guys?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 9:25 pm

Sounding better and better Alex. I'm on board :) Perhaps also post it as an article on the home page so more WP members are made aware of it?

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

awesome guys! thanks for the support!

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2011, 9:42 pm

I vote San Diego! Although I might be biased since I live there. ;)

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

That sounds really fun. I, of course, think it should be in Dallas :D (you know, pretty close to the middle of the country.... not a bad idea I think :wink: ) Otherwise I'm going to have to try to overcome my fear of flying, 'cause this thing sounds really awesome.
Also, can we make sure it's during the summer so those of us with school schedules can attend?

Last edited by Megz on 15 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

sunshower wrote:
Sounding better and better Alex. I'm on board :) Perhaps also post it as an article on the home page so more WP members are made aware of it?

Second! It definitely needs to be on the homepage! I've already started promoting it on Facebook and am looking forward to helping organize the event, contributing and participating.

It looks like there may be an exciting group of speakers (fingers crossed) and many group activities and events!

What kind of activities would you guys like to see? Any suggestions for speakers?

PM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

I would go if I could afford the travel expenses.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 10:35 pm

The first annual Wrong Planet autism conference will be looking for speakers, contributors, sponsors, talent show contestants and, of course attendees. Post ideas here, or send Alex or I an email if you would like to get more heavily involved (all my contact info is available through the link in my signature). Share on facebook and spread the word!

Last edited by Tambourine-Man on 16 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidhebear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2011, 10:51 pm

That sounds awesome. I hope I can go.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 10:53 pm

I wonder, though, if there is a way for those interested in participating in the convention but are continents away to be able to participate. Maybe a live stream or something like that can help?

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm

We'll have a LAN room where attendees can go to play multiplayer games with other aspies and unwind.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm

Talent showcase (already suggested). Music jamming sessions, art sessions. It would be cool if people skilled in certain fields could actually run workshops to teach some basic skills to everyone else. Social events are probably a good idea, as mentioned. Aside from a "Singles Ball" - perhaps a games night or something similar (ideally family friendly, singles friendly, and couples friendly)? Another idea could be organized voluntary excursions - we did those for O'Week in college and they worked out really well. Like, everyone who was interested could go to see a particular attraction, or go to the beach/ice-skating/something.

If we were all in LA it would be nice to organize to go visit the local attractions and that sort of thing.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

Can't come - unless you're paying.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm

I want to go! I don't know if my parents would be on board with it though. :?

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

Whatever happens, I'm open for any volunteer work -- preferably those that can be done miles away from where the convention is. :)