Should aspergers be considered a disability?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

Yes, but it more of a disability in the way that being short is a disability than being paralyzed from the waste down is a disability.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

It is 100% a disability for ME. I don't speak for all in this way because some people with AS are lucky enough not to suffer so much with it's problems. I live in a group home because of my AS issues and I struggle with everyday life.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

I consider it as a disability, just like any other diagnosable brain disorder.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Jellybean wrote:
It is 100% a disability for ME. I don't speak for all in this way because some people with AS are lucky enough not to suffer so much with it's problems. I live in a group home because of my AS issues and I struggle with everyday life.

You also have a long string of other disorders.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Yes I did notice that! I have been assessed by the place I live in because it is autism specific and a lot of my symptoms which cause me the most grief are linked to the AS and sensory problems. The ADHD causes more impulsiveness, while the TS just pees everyone off. It is the difficulty with understanding, communication, theory of mind and sensory issues that causes me the most problems. I expect you have a good point though because my other conditions probably do worsen the AS significantly.... I am going off to cry now... :cry:

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

I have no idea how Asperger's isn't a disability in peoples minds.

I am completely unable to drive.
I am unable to do parts of taking care of an apartment (mostly to do with cleaning).
I have yet to find a way that I can reliably feed myself.
I question whether I'm ever going to be employed.
I am often unable to simply leave my apartment to do something like go to the grocery store.

And these are all before you get to the social aspects that are viewed as the central part of Asperger's, anything to do with meltdowns or shutdowns, or anything to do with alexithymia.

The truth is, no, I can't completely take care of myself. I need help. Luckily I'm getting help.

And I don't even have ADHD. This is specifically Asperger's, though I could probably also get a diagnosis of SPD once that starts really happening.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Jellybean wrote:

Yes I did notice that! I have been assessed by the place I live in because it is autism specific and a lot of my symptoms which cause me the most grief are linked to the AS and sensory problems. The ADHD causes more impulsiveness, while the TS just pees everyone off. It is the difficulty with understanding, communication, theory of mind and sensory issues that causes me the most problems. I expect you have a good point though because my other conditions probably do worsen the AS significantly.... I am going off to cry now... :cry:

Oh my, I'm so sorry! I should have realized that you already realized all of this and that me saying it would only make things worse. I was just trying to defend AS and I wasn't being sensitive to your problems, I feel awful now. I guess this is how AS causes problems for me too. I'm sorry.