14 Year old Special Needs Student Bullied by her teachers

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:58 pm

RandomNickname wrote:
What exactly makes this different to any of the other millions of bullying stories?

The teachers did it, and they got caught.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

I also have a lot of feelings for that sweet girl. I hope that family sues every last penny out of those teachers and that school. I was treated like that by the teacher's aide from Grades 2-3 and I retaliated against her when I was in Grade 3.

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

Ganondox wrote:
RandomNickname wrote:
What exactly makes this different to any of the other millions of bullying stories?

Teachers bullying people is nothing new though. Most do it subtly enough they never get caught. Teachers are possibly the worse for bullying.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

RandomNickname wrote:
This girl was bullied by her teachers, not other students. But you're right. There are probably a lot more cases of teachers bullying special-needs students that we haven't heard about.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:17 pm

RandomNickname wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
RandomNickname wrote:

Teachers bullying people is nothing new though. Most do it subtly enough they never get caught. Teachers are possibly the worse for bullying.

You can't legislate for human prejudice. Teachers will always have students that they favour and students that they dislike. Sometimes that prejudice is justified, sometimes it isn't; that's life.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

When children and teenagers are growing up, they start to learn the difference between right and wrong. These teachers are not good influences.....

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:14 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
You can't legislate for human prejudice. Teachers will always have students that they favour and students that they dislike. Sometimes that prejudice is justified, sometimes it isn't; that's life.

"That's life?" You are helping to legitimize bad behavior. I realize that teachers are only human & they can be just as prejudiced as the next person but they should always know better than to bully or abuse any student....even if that student has problems or is difficult to deal with. If he/she can't deal with a particular student, another teacher should be found. That's what should have happened in this story. This child should have been put with a different teacher, instead of being bullied for years before the parents caught on.

I've been there myself. I was one of those special needs kids who was singled out by my peers & by teachers & other authority figures. I've been interogated at the age of 7 or so by my principal due to lies that were spread about me. He kept telling me I was lying & wanted me to change my story. I nearly had a nervous breakdown in his office. I was blamed for protecting myself when I was cornered by 3 boys in 6th grade. Because the adults in charge didn't see the entire incident, I was punished. Also in 6th grade, I was sad & depressed & crying, & my special needs teacher forced me to stare at myself in a mirror "until I put on a happy face." She had no clue that I was abused at home, bullied/teased at home, my neighborhood, & at school. Nor did she know that I was also being sexually abused by a friend of my parents. Why didn't she know? She never bothered to find out why I was so moody & sad all the time. She just got tired of seeing my sullen ugly face. I had a teacher in 7th grade who hated me. When another student hit me over the head with a large wooden ruler, & then blamed me, I was the one who got in trouble. Not the girl who hit me, she was favored by the teacher.

In all honesty, all teachers should have better training to detect bullying & so they don't ridicule the children who parents entrust to their care. No teacher should ever make a child feel bad or guilty for having problems.

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:16 pm

I do not in any way condone what these teachers have done. However, I also would not want someone to scrutinize my every word. I know that I do not always speak nicely, respond calmly and have been ashamed of the words coming out of my mouth. They should definitely receive consequences for their actions, but I don't think they deserve my hate. I will not throw stones.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
The article seems a bit one-sided. Certainly the teacher's outbursts were personal attacks and are inexcusable, but we don't know anything about the student's behaviour and what she might have done to warrant such abuse.

Abuse is never warranted.

Quote:
It's quite possible that the girl was a particularly difficult student and the things the teacher said were said in the heat of the moment. I certainly remember moments from my schooling where I was troublesome and teachers lost the plot because they didn't know what to do with me.

They had several hours of tape, with things like the teacher saying "I won't even grade your test, you obviously failed it." If there were any evidence of the child being difficult and provoking, it'd be on the tape itself.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

That is unacceptable. I would fire those teachers in a heartbeat and hire someone who actually cared about all students.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

I Was bullied by teachers off and on much like this girl the entire time I was in public school. She might have been a target because her face shows little expression except for inappropriate smiling which gives people a false impression.
I am glad to see she has such a caring father. The abusive aide already quit and the abusive teacher is on leave. They kept accusing her of lying and making stuff up when she told.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Nov 2011, 9:27 pm

Yeah, I was bullied by several teachers. I think my worst years were middle school - 6th through 8th years. I had one math teacher who would single me out for mockery during class and I recall an English teacher who had a habit of "losing" assignments I turned in. He also wrote a grammatically poor letter to my mother complaining about my inadequacies in his English class. I do not typically mock poor grammar, and I am not even mocking his. It is simply the contrast between his writing and his position, as well as his claims about my capabilities.

Many other teachers would passively participate in bullying by simply pretending to not notice when I was being actively bullied by other students.

To be fair, I had teachers whom I still remember very fondly, and rather wish I could have stayed in touch.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2011, 9:33 pm

That's awful. Her teacher is clearly not fit for a career working with children, especially ones with special needs.

I had a teacher who would walk in the room and scream and make sudden, obnoxious movements just because he knew it would scare me every time. He thought it was hilarious.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
The article seems a bit one-sided. Certainly the teacher's outbursts were personal attacks and are inexcusable, but we don't know anything about the student's behaviour and what she might have done to warrant such abuse.

I can guarantee that she did nothing to warrant such abuse. Abuse is not justified. Treating people harshly can be and often is, but abuse is never.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm

Watching that video reminds me of my old second grade special education teacher who broke me of stimming. I hope both of those as*holes get rapped and die horribly of AIDs. :twisted:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:

You can legislate for human behavior, which is how prejudice is often expressed. People can think what they want, but what they do to other people can be legally unacceptable.

What is with this defense of abusers, anyway?