14 Year old Special Needs Student Bullied by her teachers

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
You can't legislate for human prejudice. Teachers will always have students that they favour and students that they dislike. Sometimes that prejudice is justified, sometimes it isn't; that's life.

You can legislate for human behavior, which is how prejudice is often expressed. People can think what they want, but what they do to other people can be legally unacceptable.

What is with this defense of abusers, anyway?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 11:08 pm

Verdandi wrote:
What is with this defense of abusers, anyway?

My guess is that its just people not understanding what abuse is, what it does to people, and how it differs from normal human behavior.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2011, 12:25 am

That is wrong. I hate bullying, and I can imagine it being worse from teachers. Bullying = NEVER in ANY form at all!

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 5:06 am

That is Bizarre and inappropriate behaviour from two..'Adults'. Good on those parents for pressing charges.
We were looking for a Special needs unit for our son some months back and while my wife was visiting one, in front of her they dragged a little Autistic boy to a chair and strapped him into it with an adults pants belt - for tipping over a small bowl with paper cuttings in it.
We reported it, but the whole education system is wrapped up in looking after their own butts so they just pay lip service and hope you go away.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Nov 2011, 5:12 am

Yeah, I doubt the abuse is unusual. Does anyone know about this particular situation from last year?

http://www.aspieweb.net/intern-reports- ... aspergers/

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 7:35 am

We always hear stories about students being bullied other students. But now we're hearing stories about special-needs or mentally-disabled students being bullied by school teachers?????? And are cops gonna start bullying these kinds of kids as well??? This is really a terrible story. If those 2 Ohio teachers were to deal with another special-needs student, they would torment her the same way they tormented Cheyanne. Those 2 teachers should NEVER teaching.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:32 am

I have experienced bullying from teachers, and I have witnessed teachers bullying others. Whether they had special needs or not is irrelevant. Bullying is wrong. It is abusive. Bullying causes emotional and spiritual damage that lasts for years.

Bullies can operate more or less with impunity because for many years bullying has been accepted as normal behavior. That is slowly beginning to change. Status and power do not give anyone the right to abuse another. Victims do not invite or deserve this abuse because they are weak or different.

Some societal roles carry inherent authoritative power and status that can lead to abusive behavior. This includes police officers and teachers. The application process for police officers includes, as far as I know, personality testing in an attempt to weed out those most likely to abuse power. There is no such process for teachers that I know of.

There is no excuse for a teacher bullying a student. Ever. Bullying cannot be accepted as normal behavior in this culture any more than domestic abuse can be accepted.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:54 am

Here's another instance:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/250740/ ... -needs.htm

Teacher abused student, student recorded it. It sounds really vicious, too. That teacher practically screamed at Julio.

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

I don't like many teachers one time I had a breakdown and was crying a two teachers were laughing and calling me "oddball" also got called weird a lot by teacher I was really bullied by this one girl and one time I went crazy and bit her leg, I will allways remember the teacher taking me into a side room looking at me in disgust and saying "biting, that is what animals do."

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

tcorrielus wrote:
We always hear stories about students being bullied other students. But now we're hearing stories about special-needs or mentally-disabled students being bullied by school teachers?????? And are cops gonna start bullying these kinds of kids as well??? This is really a terrible story. If those 2 Ohio teachers were to deal with another special-needs student, they would torment her the same way they tormented Cheyanne. Those 2 teachers should NEVER teaching.

Yes, it happens. Just this week in my city a 7 year old boy with autism had a meltdown at school. He was pulling plugs out of the wall and kicking teachers. The public school police were called and the 50 lb boy was handcuffed to a chair. If a petite woman like myself can handle adults with disabilities who are far larger than me, I really don't see why handcuffs were necessary to deal with a 7 year old boy.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:36 am

Let's not forget that these 2 women are teachers & have been entrusted to CARE for special needs students. Teaching is a profession where you are supposed to educate those in your class. There was nothing educational about the way this girl was treated. I don't know about all of you, but what part of bullying a special needs child is CARING? Nothing! These 2 should not be teaching because as teachers, they should know better. There's just no excuse for what they did to this young girl.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Todesking wrote:
Watching that video reminds me of my old second grade special education teacher who broke me of stimming. I hope both of those as*holes get rapped and die horribly of AIDs. :twisted:

Yeah you're on the same level as the damn teachers.

My point i raised before, is that, People get bullied, people die, horrible things happen all the time. If everyone cried about these stories, the earth would be a pretty sad place. THAT is life, it's not exclusive to humans, it's actually better in humans than in other species. ~~ It's in our nature to bully. I'm not saying bullying is a good thing, and i was bullied but it's nature.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

RandomNickname wrote:
Todesking wrote:
Watching that video reminds me of my old second grade special education teacher who broke me of stimming. I hope both of those as*holes get rapped and die horribly of AIDs. :twisted:

Yeah you're on the same level as the damn teachers.

My point i raised before, is that, People get bullied, people die, horrible things happen all the time. If everyone cried about these stories, the earth would be a pretty sad place. THAT is life, it's not exclusive to humans, it's actually better in humans than in other species. ~~ It's in our nature to bully. I'm not saying bullying is a good thing, and i was bullied but it's nature.

Bullies should never be teachers...especially special ed. There's something very wrong, & I will never ever condone bullying of anyone. I've been bullied too. I don't care if bullying is somewhat natural. It's still wrong. As human beings, we should all strive to treat people better. There's a lot of room for improvement.

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

tomboy4good wrote:

Bullies should never be teachers...especially special ed. There's something very wrong, & I will never ever condone bullying of anyone. I've been bullied too. I don't care if bullying is somewhat natural. It's still wrong. As human beings, we should all strive to treat people better. There's a lot of room for improvement.

Are you claiming to have never bullied anyone in any way? I call bs . It's in everyone of us, it's one of those animalistic traits we all have.

It's also not always intentional. People delude themselves by creating reasons as to why it's okay.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:51 am

RandomNickname wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:

Are you claiming to have never bullied anyone in any way? I call bs . It's in everyone of us, it's one of those animalistic traits we all have.

It's also not always intentional. People delude themselves by creating reasons as to why it's okay.

Those animalistic traits need to be held in check, repressed. When tomboy4good says, "As human beings we should all strive to treat people better" that doesn't contradict that it is in every one of us. But some things that are in every one of us need to either find a healthy way to get out or stay inside us. Yes, I am in favor of self-repression of certain animalistic traits. A good teacher doesn't even have those thoughts about a special needs kid in the first place. But a middling teacher, if those thoughts pop up, will push them aside and focus on her job, rather than hurtfully letting them out. A bad teacher just lets them out, as these two did.

I would love it if all teachers thought well of their students and believed that their students were trying. Hopefully most- or at least many- do. But inevitably there will be teachers who have these thoughts. What makes a teacher worth firing is if they let these thoughts interfere with their teaching- as these two horrifically did. This doesn't mean no other teacher has ever had these thoughts. But teachers have to focus on their mission as teachers and ignore or re-direct the thoughts, never act on them. And that's more what tomboy4good was saying. That is the striving to treat people better. That doesn't mean a bad, animalistic thought never crosses your mind. It means you push it away and don't act on it.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

RandomNickname wrote:

I am saying that I have been mostly bullied. Sadly, I too bullied another child in one instant....herd behavior, felt pressured to participate. I later regretted it, felt guilty, & didn't get involved after that. Led to me being bullied even more, but I'd rather be bullied than be a bully. It's just not right. I have no delusions of what I did...I recognized it was wrong. Plain & simple....if I am on the spectrum & can see that, I feel NTs can certainly do the same thing. Don't make excuses for bad behavior. I feel as human beings, most of us have the ability to take the high road.

Goes for anyone who has any power. Using it to abuse someone "weaker" is a terrible thing to do. Earlier this year, cops beat a homeless man with schizophrenia to a pulp just for fun. He lingered in a hospital for days before he succumbed to his injuries. Sickening. Cops should also know better.