Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 7:52 am

if you've been here a while, take a minute and look back at your posts from years ago. Do you agree with what you've said? Was what you said how you would have put it today?

I did this yesterday. I looked up my previous account and read some of the posts from way back when. Very childish, very immature...

How do you think someone could mature more rapidly - maybe skip a few years?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 8:20 am

MasterJedi wrote:
How do you think someone could mature more rapidly - maybe skip a few years?

Traumatic life events always do that for me. But I don't recommend it, if you can avoid it.

I read over my old posts, sometimes, and I still agree with everything I wrote. Of course, I've only been here a year and a half... :roll:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 8:28 am

i have a poverty of emotional input into what i say, and i am the same today as the first day i joined here.

my development (as far as emotional maturity is concerned) is arrested at about 12 years old i was told, and that rhymes.

this was my first post on this site.
[img][800:491]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8641/1stpost.jpg[/img]

things have not changed much.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 12:47 pm

I find that I haven't matured significantly when only comparing my posts from when I started here with now. And I still agree with the majority of viewpoints I expressed on WP in 2008.

When I look at some of my older posts on another message board, the Comic Book Resources forum, however, I see a lot of my old naiveté, even though I only joined CBR about one year before I joined WP. But I think it's because I've shared a couple of more personal things with the community on CBR, while here on WP -while I do talk about very personal things from my life- I've been a bit more aloof, not quite so gregarious or involved, sometimes posting with the intention of sharing advice/experience and trying to come across as mature as I could to begin with. While on CBR I felt more comfortable to sort of be one of the 'naive kids' while you also had the older posters (30+year-olds).

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

I'm in peace with my previous posts. Sometimes I wonder how could I put my thoughts into English so well... :P Seriously, everyone makes progress with maturity. There's no need to speed it up, let it just happen. And there's nothing wrong with it if you would say something different now than you did then (or put it differently). Some events can have the effect of a catalysator (like said trauma, but positive events too), while there are periods in life we change only a little. This is quite normal, I think.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 12:43 am

I look at some of my earliest posts and I just have to wonder if that's the same person who wrote those things. I also used to post a lot about my special interests a couple years after I started, but I won't get into that. There was also a black and angry period that I went through from nearly the start of 2007 until the late Summer of 2009. I look back at all of those times and I have to ask myself, if the same person wrote all that stuff.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 3:34 am

I was quite surprised by some of my earlier posts. I definitely got angry a lot more back then!