Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mamamoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

this is our situation:15 year old boy, very intellegent but always kind of different, no friends at all, socialy very isolated,got through the elementary school somehow, struggling, ok grades, no problem with teachers but with kids yes, likes heroes (batman especialy), has his routines, eating habits, specific interests...ok we concluded ourselves it was asperger...lately some of the doctors and psychiatrics agreed. but...this spring. at the end of his hard period of schooling, while we were alredy planning a strategy for high school, he said he won´t go to school anymore, he will fight back all the "damn fools that bullied him", but he also felt hostile towards us (especialy me, his mom), he was depressed, only wanted to be in the house beeing affraid of the boys from school, then, agressive then selfagressive...it was awful and so sad. we talk to psychiatrist, gave us zyprexa, almost killed him (neuroleptic syndrome), got risperidon, as we see it didn´t help, made him hyper and talking at loud.one of the psychiatrists suggested "three weeks in psych.hospital, no visits to become independent and more responsible"?!
lately we found an ok high school (florists and gardeners), and a great classmaster, he started to go to school (flexible hours - great!). he is not very communicative (but has never been actualy), he is still in his world of heroes and soccer (can go on for hours...talking at loud but if you ask him something he answers back, no problem).he seems like a normal teenager except for this talking at loud, staying in bathtub for hour or so, even twice a day, or when he gets angry, he urinated in the garden (we saw him twice).and, it´s already cold but he still wear shorts and walks barefoot (but he´s never ill).some of his behevior is worrying us, can he be schizofrenic?i had personaly a great fear of that kind of possibility, but ok, i posted a few words...i feel i´m among good people.so, any thoughts?
love to all, mamamoo :)

cro

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

It doesn't sound like Schizoid , more like Schizophrenia.

Mainly because Schizophrenics can have episodes anywhere , that are so real that they can't distinguish it from reality in his case it was the bathroom.

An alternative would be something closer to the schizophrenic spectrum like Schizotypal Personality Disorder , where one can develop full blown Schizophrenia.

Schizoids don't have hallucinations,

Maybe you should ask him , or get a shrink ( psychiatrist )?

There really isn't enough information like of his history of when he started to speak or his development scores?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 8:36 am

My guess:

either:
Asperger's and Depressions (or maybe something else)

or:
Schizophrenia

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

He sounds kind of like me as a teen. I think Aspergers could be his main thing. He's very frustrated & stressed from issues with being bullied. I had LOTS of fights with my mom over school stuff be cause I blamed her for making me go to school & I I really needed to be left alone when I got home so I could recharge. Taking long showers/baths may be his way of shutting down for a while to recharge. I used to act pretty crazily when I get ticked off & had my Aspie meltdowns. I don't have much advice for you OP except to try to make his environment as safe & stress free as possible & let him have his time alone to recharge.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

Sounds to me like he's just a normal Aspie teen. I don't think he's schizophrenic. Medications can have bad complications in children let alone an Aspie child. Aspie teens do get bullied pretty badly I did at one point. I also couldn't take medication as a teenager. Being a teen can make you more shy or aggravated. Young boys totally freak out, and meltdowns are the worst for people in their teens. Instead of taking him to a psychiatrist you need to take him to a therapist or someone who specializes in dealing with Aspergers and has credibility. From my experience a lot of mental health workers have hardly any experience with AS just like teachers. You need to find someone who does.