Sheldon Cooper. Aspie, or offensive parody?

Page 15 of 15 [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

2007kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2020, 11:45 pm

I can't understand why people like him. Somebody literally told me to study psychology and that it would enlighten me that anyone as smart as Sheldon would act like him. This was after I said the writers weren't consistent because in some episodes he may be autistic (early in the show), but otherwise he's just a sociopath.
I'll give you an example.

Leonard: I did something bad.
Sheldon: Does it concern me?
Leonard: No...
Sheldon: Then suffer in silence.

If people still think he isn't a sociopath after almost getting Leonard killed on that highway, not caring about the fact Leonard "almost died" (in Leonard's words, and yes, Sheldon REALLY did this once), I can't understand them. I haven't yet told them I was autistic, and that's why the Sheldon character pisses me off so much (actually, one of the reasons), so maybe that'll shut them up.

People say that autistic people like him. Well, the news didn't reach this particular autistic person, who can see that the MOST consistent thing about his character is how much of a jackass he is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 2:01 am

2007kid wrote:
People say that autistic people like him. Well, the news didn't reach this particular autistic person, who can see that the MOST consistent thing about his character is how much of a jackass he is.

The creators of the Big Bang have said Sheldon is not on the autism spectrum

However, actor Jim Parsons (who plays Sheldon) has mentioned how his character shows some Asperger-like characteristics. Symptoms include finding it hard to understand and relate to others, and Sheldon does find it difficult to sympathise with other characters.

Parsons who is not autistic has expressed his own opinions based primarily on fan feedback rather than his knowledge of autism (it should be noted that actors who portray autism usually do background research, this was never required from Parsons so it is inaccurate to claim Sheldon's character is representative of somebody on the spectrum).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 2:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
2007kid wrote:

However, actor Jim Parsons (who plays Sheldon) has mentioned how his character shows some Asperger-like characteristics. Symptoms include finding it hard to understand and relate to others, and Sheldon does find it difficult to sympathise with other characters.

Parsons who is not autistic has expressed his own opinions based primarily on fan feedback rather than his knowledge of autism (it should be noted that actors who portray autism usually do background research, this was never required from Parsons so it is inaccurate to claim Sheldon's character is representative of somebody on the spectrum).

From what I've read, the show's creators had worked with a guy who Sheldon had largely been based on, and from their description he sounded like one of our tribe.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 2:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
2007kid wrote:

From what I've read, the show's creators had worked with a guy who Sheldon had largely been based on, and from their description he sounded like one of our tribe.

According to the writers/creators the character of Sheldon Cooper was inspired by a computer programmer personally known to series co-creator Bill Prady. That programmer wasn't on the spectrum.

Both Parsons and Bialik (who has a PhD in nueroscience) have publicly supported fan theories but the two traits that Sheldon expresses that are amplified in his on-screen character are specifically OCD and introversion, neither of which require a diagnosis of autism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 4:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
2007kid wrote:

According to the writers/creators the character of Sheldon Cooper was inspired by a computer programmer personally known to series co-creator Bill Prady. That programmer wasn't on the spectrum.

Both Parsons and Bialik (who has a PhD in nueroscience) have publicly supported fan theories but the two traits that Sheldon expresses that are amplified in his on-screen character are specifically OCD and introversion, neither of which require a diagnosis of autism.

Prady obviously knows this computer programer, but from how Prady had described him I think the guy might have been on the spectrum after all. Then again, what do I know. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 12:39 am

Yeah, it's possible the programmer is on the spectrum but I think the writers were perhaps either a) unaware of the diagnosis and just thought the dude was quirky or b) worried about getting accused of stereotyping autism and avoided the topic when asked by the media.

Bialik and Parsons obviously read fan mail and were just agreeing with fans.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 5:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Yeah, it's possible the programmer is on the spectrum but I think the writers were perhaps either a) unaware of the diagnosis and just thought the dude was quirky or b) worried about getting accused of stereotyping autism and avoided the topic when asked by the media.

Bialik and Parsons obviously read fan mail and were just agreeing with fans.

I can see why they wouldn't want to offend those fans on the spectrum, or with loved ones who might be. They had no idea how Sheldon would become the standard bearer for the emerging Aspie community.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 6:01 am

One of the writers have said that Sheldon is in large parts based on her 10 year old aspie son. I don't know if she was made to retract or delete that statement, but it seems an odd one to make if it wasn't true.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 6:05 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
One of the writers have said that Sheldon is in large parts based on her 10 year old aspie son. I don't know if she was made to retract or delete that statement, but it seems an odd one to make if it wasn't true.

Are you talking about young Sheldon? I think that series took a life on its own post-Big Bang so the writers/narrative takes a different tack.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 6:20 am

No, this was before YS.