aspergers character on glee, anyone else offended?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

there is a girl on glee who supposedly has aspergers, she is always coming out with things like "I have been diagnosed with aspergers so now i can say whatever I want, you have a big nose"
Found this really annoying when glee is supposed to be about accepting everyone it made me wanna stop watching it, It could be raising awareness but instead it's making people with aspergers look stupid.
Am I being over sensitive here?

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Do you have a video of it?

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

I agree with you. I was shocked when I saw it. Hopefully they have a "plan" with all this, because so far they have done nothing but harm.

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

DuneyBlues wrote:
Do you have a video of it?

this is all I could find
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oRf_j-IWnA

WalkingThesaurus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2011, 9:52 am

I saw that episode and recalled pretty clearly that she had "self-diagnosed aspergers", and I'm pretty sure the joke is that she doesn't and just wants an excuse to be rude. I found a video with the clip in which she says "self-diagnosed aspergers".
The clip, and the part starts at 19 seconds.
I'm not offended by it, and there are much worse things that would be more worth my time being offended at.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

Maybe they are doing that because she thinks thats what AS is, and later on she will be corrected. If they show herbehavior over several shows, more people will have a chance to watch and get the point. I don't know that that is their point, to have her find out thats not what AS is, but I'd hope it is.

Frances

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

NaomiDB wrote:
she is always coming out with things like "I have been diagnosed with aspergers so now i can say whatever I want, you have a big nose"

Nope.
Her catchline is "I've self-diagnosed with Aspergers, so XYZ insult."

I'm not sure what to think of it, to be honest.
Whether it's some annoying person using Aspergers to be mean, or not,
I don't like the implication that that's what Aspergers is.

to his Interest."

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

No. I, indeed have tourette traits... and most of times when I said something bad(when I grew up and realized it would hurt people) I asked people to pardon me.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

I don't understand. Why be offended by it? It's not making fun of people who actually have Asperger's, it's making fun of people who reckon they have it because they read about it on the internet, then flaunt it by using it as a fashion accessory and/or excuse for asshattery.
I think people who are offended by this parody are either the "I'm fully qualified to make a self-diagnosis" people themselves, or are completely missing the point. :?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

I likeyour word asshatery and I'm going to use it. I have said jackassery and f*ckery, but I like yours much better.

Thank you.

Frances

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
I don't understand. Why be offended by it? It's not making fun of people who actually have Asperger's, it's making fun of people who reckon they have it because they read about it on the internet, then flaunt it by using it as a fashion accessory and/or excuse for asshattery.
I think people who are offended by this parody are either the "I'm fully qualified to make a self-diagnosis" people themselves, or are completely missing the point. :?

Um, I **am** qualified to make a self-diagnosis because of my particular background. I waited until I was going to see a psychologist for another reason before getting a diagnosis from someone else, and GUESS WHAT! I was right! Doesn't give these idiots the right to make fun of me and imply I was just "excusing asshattery" before I got my second opinion.

I'd love to see who uses AS as a "fashion accessory" because I sure as hell wish I didn't have it and don't see how it could be "fashionable". I think these people are just being intolerant, just like a lot of NTs are, just like a lot of PEOPLE are.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

Meow101 wrote:
Guineapigged wrote:

Um, I **am** qualified to make a self-diagnosis because of my particular background. I waited until I was going to see a psychologist for another reason before getting a diagnosis from someone else, and GUESS WHAT! I was right! Doesn't give these idiots the right to make fun of me and imply I was just "excusing asshattery" before I got my second opinion.

I'd love to see who uses AS as a "fashion accessory" because I sure as hell wish I didn't have it and don't see how it could be "fashionable". I think these people are just being intolerant, just like a lot of NTs are, just like a lot of PEOPLE are.

~Kate

I'll second that. I too correctly diagnosed myself before I got officially diagnosed. Now that does not mean that I went around broadcasting it (I don't do that now either). But I think that most of us who got diagnosed in late teens or as an adult probably "self diagnosed" themselves first. And there is nothing wrong with that!! ! No one is going to look down on you for suspecting to have any kind of physical illness, and sharing it with those close to you while waiting to a doctors appointment. Why should it be any different with mental illness?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

Thats true! How many women have I known who said "I have a lump in my breast! I see the doctor Tuesday" in an ominous tone.

Frances

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

Exactly! People self-diagnose themselves all the time with things and don't get accused of anything unless they're always coming up with a new illness or something.

I still wanna know how I can parlay this into some kind of fashion accessory! I have enough trouble being fashionable that if it's possible, maybe I should give it a shot! :lol:

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Meow101 wrote:
Exactly! People self-diagnose themselves all the time with things and don't get accused of anything unless they're always coming up with a new illness or something.

I still wanna know how I can parlay this into some kind of fashion accessory! I have enough trouble being fashionable that if it's possible, maybe I should give it a shot! :lol:

~Kate

OK, you can try this, but you have to remember that you are following my fashion advice here, and not popular fashion advice.

Disclaimer: I have never done this, but if you want it to be an accessory, this is what I think you should do.

Obtain one of those push down machines that puts rhinestones on fabric. This may require time travel because I do remember them being sold on TV during the 70s. Or you could just go the easy route and get fabric glue.

Get rhinestones and colored leather and whatever article of clothing you want to accessorize.

Cut out from the colored leather the capital letters AS. If you want to go over the top, you can spell out the entire thing, but I wouldn't advise that.

Glue or sew the fabric onto the item you want to accessorize. Then put rhinestones around the edges of it. You can get fancy by putting fake jewels on too. It's up to you.

That is how you accessorize with AS.

I'd like pics if you do it, please. I will make them my avatar.

Ooooh, I just had an idea! We should so make those varsity jackets for AS!

Frances

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Meow101 wrote:

~Kate

OK, you can try this, but you have to remember that you are following my fashion advice here, and not popular fashion advice.

Disclaimer: I have never done this, but if you want it to be an accessory, this is what I think you should do.

Obtain one of those push down machines that puts rhinestones on fabric. This may require time travel because I do remember them being sold on TV during the 70s. Or you could just go the easy route and get fabric glue.

Get rhinestones and colored leather and whatever article of clothing you want to accessorize.

Cut out from the colored leather the capital letters AS. If you want to go over the top, you can spell out the entire thing, but I wouldn't advise that.

Glue or sew the fabric onto the item you want to accessorize. Then put rhinestones around the edges of it. You can get fancy by putting fake jewels on too. It's up to you.

That is how you accessorize with AS.

I'd like pics if you do it, please. I will make them my avatar.

Ooooh, I just had an idea! We should so make those varsity jackets for AS!

Frances

Sewing with actual leather is a pain, vinyl is so much easier to work with.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html