Feel like an awful parent today

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2011, 1:09 am

blondeambition wrote:
Chronos, thanks for the reminder of the DSM criteria.

Of note, at first I didn't realize that my older son with classic autism met all of the required criteria and thought that he must be PDD-NOS. I didn't realize that his hand flapping qualified as a symptom.

I used to think that my younger son only met three of the four criteria, but now I realize that his repetitive licking and chewing on clothing (and occasionally other objects) would mean that he meets all four criteria.

It can be hard to figure out whether a child is PDD-NOS, HFA, or Asperger's. Ultimately, placing the child in one category or another may not matter as long as the treatment is appropriate.

Yes, it's so confusing to me. The way I've started to look at it is this....though I may be completely wrong...

that PDD-NOS is atypical autism and is merely a place-holder for either autism OR aspergers. If a 18 month old is diagnosed with pdd-nos, due to a speech delay, it just means that it's possible that he/she has Autism. If a child is diagnosed when they are 5 yrs old with pdd-nos, and they DID NOT have a speech delay, then he/she probably has atypical aspergers? (at least for now, although maybe not...maybe just on the day of testing).

I just say that because the Neuropsychologist who tested my daughter said that she has symptoms of Aspergers, but does not meet the full criteria...she does have stereotypical movements and issues with social reciprocity in conversation. Nonverbal communication does not come naturally to her. The Neuro said that in her case, the only thing it would be is Aspergers...since she never had a speech delay (was always ahead in that area), but I guess it's atypical aspergers, which is why she was labeled PDD-NOS?

I guess this is all for not, since in May of 2012 it will all these labels with be AU anyway...but the whole PDD-NOS thing just confuses me. I haven't even discussed any of this with my daughter, just because I'm so utterly confused by it.