Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:10 am

I was looking at the Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index and the comment made as the intro to the Women's Discussion is so backwards. "Having a Male Gynecologist is like having an auto mechanic that doesn't own a car" (paraphrase) Using this line of logic you could also say that a male going to see a doctor about postrate problems or epidyimitis should only see male doctors. This type of thought is very prevalent in backwards countries where only male doctors treat males and only female doctors treat females.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

deconstruction wrote:
I know I don't have a say in this, but I strongly oppose segregation. I don't think male members should be kicked out or treated as inferior in the women's forum. But seriously, guys, you don't have anything to offer in a discussion about tampons, so isn't it best to just ignore it? Also, if this is a women's forum, accept that your views and your needs and your privilege might not be of utmost importance here. Not in a way that you don't have a say in any discussion concerning women's issues, but that the fact you might find breast funny/interesting/strange isn't important in, say, a discussion about bras.

I (and this might be just me) wouldn't mind discussing my bra size in a forum that males can access, too. But I sure don't want to see anybody jumping in the middle of a conversation with a comment: "D cups?? Whooooo.... " or something.

Just to make it clear: I made up this example; it never actually happened. But I hope it illustrates my point.

Um... We could have something to offer with female issues. We might not have first hand knowledge about which tampon is most comfortable or anything like that, but we have significant others who are female, which means we've dealt with things before. I'm not a woman, and I've obviously never been pregnant, but I can list some signs of pregnancy(that aren't incredibly obvious to the observer). What if you're having an issue with a certain tampon, like it's scented or something(do they make scented tampons?), and the scent is causing a bad allergic reaction? What if I had an ex who had the same issue? Just because we have penises instead of vaginas doesn't mean we can't know anything or offer any insight. I probably wouldn't ask a woman about most specifically male issues, but I wouldn't automatically brush off a woman's ideas just because she doesn't possess a penis.

And for the record, I see women derailing threads with random comments like that all the time.

And, here I'd like to take the time to point out that if we are to be respectful of women, then women need to be respectful of us too. None of that "omg, men rule the world" crap, and none of that screaming "sexist" the second a man says anything you don't agree with. That's ridiculous, and it's disrespectful.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

Aspinator wrote:
I was looking at the Wrong Planet Autism Forum Index and the comment made as the intro to the Women's Discussion is so backwards. "Having a Male Gynecologist is like having an auto mechanic that doesn't own a car" (paraphrase) Using this line of logic you could also say that a male going to see a doctor about postrate problems or epidyimitis should only see male doctors. This type of thought is very prevalent in backwards countries where only male doctors treat males and only female doctors treat females.

And the logical extension of this is: "If you're not me then you couldn't know anything at all about any of my situations."
which is absolutely preposterous.

(I'm agreeing with you)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

i do not post in the women's discussion forum except for this time,
and i really have nothing to say anyway so i should probably not post anything.

i just thought i should say that

Francesmances
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2012, 1:30 am

.... I actually don't like this pejorative take on male gynecologists. That's like someone with cancer wanting to be diagnosed and treated by someone with cancer. Or someone with AS wanting to be diagnosed by someone with AS.

blue_mystic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2012, 11:06 am

I'd like to say something here because I see the potential for conflicts in a forum where women are encouraged to be open and honest about female-specific issues and then certain men come along, take issue with it, and the whole thing devolves into a gender war (at worst) or the topic simply dies due to fear of reprisals for speaking openly. In fact, I have seen an example of this in a recent topic on this forum. The fact remains that women are held to different social and aesthetic standards than men, which makes for a divergent and often incomparable experience of Asperger's/autism that is often downplayed, underestimated, and invalidated by some men who simply cannot understand. There is nothing worse than sharing your own personal (and often painful) experiences and then being ridiculed or treated in a dismissive and callous fashion as a result of it. While I don't believe in censorship or restricting participating in any forum, I think there needs to be a much stricter code of conduct when it comes to this one in particular because it is specifically geared toward women and women are often the dumping ground for men's emotional baggage. If women cannot post their opinions and feelings freely in this forum without fear of negative judgement, then this forum serves no purpose at all.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 9:03 am

blue_mystic wrote:
I'd like to say something here because I see the potential for conflicts in a forum where women are encouraged to be open and honest about female-specific issues and then certain men come along, take issue with it, and the whole thing devolves into a gender war (at worst) or the topic simply dies due to fear of reprisals for speaking openly. In fact, I have seen an example of this in a recent topic on this forum. The fact remains that women are held to different social and aesthetic standards than men, which makes for a divergent and often incomparable experience of Asperger's/autism that is often downplayed, underestimated, and invalidated by some men who simply cannot understand. There is nothing worse than sharing your own personal (and often painful) experiences and then being ridiculed or treated in a dismissive and callous fashion as a result of it. While I don't believe in censorship or restricting participating in any forum, I think there needs to be a much stricter code of conduct when it comes to this one in particular because it is specifically geared toward women and women are often the dumping ground for men's emotional baggage. If women cannot post their opinions and feelings freely in this forum without fear of negative judgement, then this forum serves no purpose at all.

Hear, hear!

And welcome, blue_mystic! Feel free to come sit by me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 10:08 am

i never post in the women's forum except to announce that i never post there.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

Well, the Haven and PPR have special rules, so it would make sense that this forum had them too.

MayBitsu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

They can be rude...and not responding socially correct....one of my 2 sons is .. yes... but i found him to be very sensitive as well.. just not understand why you and I are offended... I have had to explain to him over the years in detail so he would know...it is purely data to him at first..
It just does not compute at first in the mind of a business only HF autistic male ..
Now he is teaching me.. :D

Lavenders
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2013, 6:48 pm

Wow, no one has posted here since October?

well ok... Happy International Women's Day tomorrow!

I am going to try and force myself to go to the activities in my community. I need to get out from under all this social isolation I have been experiencing for the past year and a half or so.

? Oscar Wilde

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 7:54 pm

spongy wrote:
Angel_ryan wrote:
Some would consider it talking the high road if there were both separate male and female forms I mean we use different bathrooms don't we? If a male wants to troll the female thread I think we'd weed him out pretty quickly not only that I'd be surprised if he wasn't murdered. I think any guy that did created a profile to view it would get bored pretty fast even if he wasn't trolling. If the guys have their own form they have no right to complain. If anything It'd make wrong planet stand out more positively because yes women are considered a minority in the autism community and we are different in general, but the males who created/monitor the site would get that right?

Thats the thing. Guys dont have their own forum.

So making a forum only accessible to a certain gender and leaving the other gender out would make wp stand out in a bad way because its clear discrimination against males.

Again I cant do any changes so you should be contacting alex and see if he is willing to do it but considering what I just said and that he has ruled out the possibility of a male board I doubt it´ll happen.

Also this site is monitored by females as well(as pointed out on my previous response to deconstruction you can approach hyperlexian for any concerns related to female issues because she is a female).

As for nat4200 suggestion the software of this forum is pretty outdated because alex isnt keen on changing it. If he hasnt updated it to any of the more current/more advanced ones and this doesnt require much effort from him I dont think he´ll be willing to tweak the current software to implement the changes you are suggesting.
However feel free to approach him and see how he replies.

Honestly, I have been waiting to start a thread where women can insult me free of charge. Do I really have to do this? If women have a women's thread, at least make it women's only, there is no point in making a thread for women if I can post on it. I can now understand the frustration of all the females here. Sorry we guys are such meanies sometimes... (p.s. am I allowed to open a thread where I let women swear at me, I am sure it would relieve some tension?)

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 8:02 pm

blue_mystic wrote:

I agree, feel free to dump your emotional baggage on me, I am your stress ball.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 4:28 am

appletheclown wrote:
spongy wrote:
Angel_ryan wrote:
Some would consider it talking the high road if there were both separate male and female forms I mean we use different bathrooms don't we? If a male wants to troll the female thread I think we'd weed him out pretty quickly not only that I'd be surprised if he wasn't murdered. I think any guy that did created a profile to view it would get bored pretty fast even if he wasn't trolling. If the guys have their own form they have no right to complain. If anything It'd make wrong planet stand out more positively because yes women are considered a minority in the autism community and we are different in general, but the males who created/monitor the site would get that right?

Thats the thing. Guys dont have their own forum.

So making a forum only accessible to a certain gender and leaving the other gender out would make wp stand out in a bad way because its clear discrimination against males.

Again I cant do any changes so you should be contacting alex and see if he is willing to do it but considering what I just said and that he has ruled out the possibility of a male board I doubt it´ll happen.

Also this site is monitored by females as well(as pointed out on my previous response to deconstruction you can approach hyperlexian for any concerns related to female issues because she is a female).

As for nat4200 suggestion the software of this forum is pretty outdated because alex isnt keen on changing it. If he hasnt updated it to any of the more current/more advanced ones and this doesnt require much effort from him I dont think he´ll be willing to tweak the current software to implement the changes you are suggesting.
However feel free to approach him and see how he replies.

Honestly, I have been waiting to start a thread where women can insult me free of charge. Do I really have to do this? If women have a women's thread, at least make it women's only, there is no point in making a thread for women if I can post on it. I can now understand the frustration of all the females here. Sorry we guys are such meanies sometimes... (p.s. am I allowed to open a thread where I let women swear at me, I am sure it would relieve some tension?)

If we could make a decission of this kind the males forum would have been reinstated a long time ago.
Sadly as it is it is beyond our reach to change some things on this forum( rules, sections and in this case access to sections).

I don´t know if it was in this particular thread but members pointed out that quite a lot of females come accross this forum by googleing.
If we were to restrict access google could no longer retrieve data from here so you´d no longer find this on the asperger women results.

As it is alex wants to keep every forum accesible to google excluding both adult sections and member section and he is the owner at the end of the day so its his call.

I see you went ahead with the thread creation, not sure how it ll help but so far it doesnt look too badly

glow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

The only advice i'd make is to women. Seeing as there is no respect from our male members on here and I'd go as far as to say it breaches on sexual harassment and threatening behaviour. If your going to do that then you ought to know who you're dealing with. CLARIFICATION- THIS IS A WOMENS TOPICAL FORUM, respected by the women who use it. Men come along in their hoardes to abuse this section so maybe the section shouldn't be used by anybody.

There's enough unnecessary slagging off on here as it is, without having more predators stalking female users.

I'm getting sick of it.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 11:11 pm

spongy wrote:
Apparently there have been some doubts about this so Im going to try to clear things for newcomers that may have similar issues.

This section is accessible to both males and females.

Its meant to be a place where females can feel free to discuss any issue they wish(as long as they are respecting the opposite gender which is a requirement on this site´s rules) and any male can give their input as long as they are trying to be helpfull/supportive.

I thought the clarification was going to be about how the whole concept of the forum was wack, because women should "feel free to be themselves" without ugly misogynistic attacks...oh, anywhere on the website. And that the idea of clearing away a little corner labeled as misogyny-free, while leaving the rest to be its delightful horrifying-about-women self, is itself kind of horrible.