Do you play a musical instrument?

Page 7 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Do you play a musical instrument?
Yes. 39%  39%  [ 228 ]
Yes. 40%  40%  [ 238 ]
No. 10%  10%  [ 59 ]
No. 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 590

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

I'm a pretty skilled musician. I play saxophone, flute, clarinet, bagpipes, and piano. Saxophone is my main instrument, and I'm starting to get away from bagpipes since it's incredibly loud even with earplugs, and it has such a limited range.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm

Hello. I play piano (self taught), tenor sax, and clarinet. I mainly play clarinet. I played violin as a kid for 6 years, but stopped after parents got divorced.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

frenchyorkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2016, 12:49 pm

Violin and ukulele

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm

I used to take piano lessons. I recently tried to play some songs again.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 12:08 pm

I voted "no" for this poll. I tried to learn how to play the saxophone & the violin back when I was a teenager, but I had no talent & was not very good at either instrument, so I quit the lessons. I did not take the lessons for very long. A friend recently told me that you need really good coordination to play the violin, so maybe it was part of my problem.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 6:39 pm

I play piano, and violin/fiddle. It's fun :)

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

Yes, i play a ''Hang''.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

300series wrote:
I voted "no" for this poll. I tried to learn how to play the saxophone & the violin back when I was a teenager, but I had no talent & was not very good at either instrument, so I quit the lessons. I did not take the lessons for very long. A friend recently told me that you need really good coordination to play the violin, so maybe it was part of my problem.

I don't have great coordination, but I still play the violin. Holding it correctly and having proper posture are the things I struggle with most, though. I don't have any talent either, I just play it a lot :D . Don't be too hard on yourself.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:40 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

I don't have great coordination, but I still play the violin. Holding it correctly and having proper posture are the things I struggle with most, though. I don't have any talent either, I just play it a lot :D . Don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I remember I struggled with holding the violin correctly & posture too. Another problem I had was reading the music & trying to play the notes correctly. I just did not understand it well. It was very confusing for me. It was fun at first, but I would get frustrated because I could play it well.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I remember I struggled with holding the violin correctly & posture too. Another problem I had was reading the music & trying to play the notes correctly. I just did not understand it well. It was very confusing for me. It was fun at first, but I would get frustrated because I could play it well.

That's what happened to me with all the other instruments I ever tried to play :D . Playing an instrument is really hard, so I don't blame you at all for struggling! What other things do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies, or a "special interest?" :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:35 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

That's what happened to me with all the other instruments I ever tried to play :D . Playing an instrument is really hard, so I don't blame you at all for struggling! What other things do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies, or a "special interest?" :D

Yes, playing an instrument seemed like fun before I tried to learn how to play it. One other issue I had was that I was more interested in doing other things that I like better instead of practicing my instruments. I have other hobbies & "special interests" too. I can not sing or play any music or instruments, but I really like listening to music. I like to collect music & listen to it. I like to collect music & different formats of music like records, compact discs, and 8-track tapes. I also like to collect other things like coins, music, movies, books, electronics, and maps. I also really like cars. I also have a fascination with Asperger's syndrome & wrong planet. I like to spend a lot of my free time on the Internet reading about my "special interests."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

I played the clarinet in elementary school, but I couldn't figure out how to get the higher notes without squeaking, so I stopped. I can play the piano moderately well, and I'm learning how to play the guitar.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:20 pm

No tried to play percussion in band class...and later on attempted to give learning bass guitar a try. But I suck...so I leave instrument playing to my favorite bands and people who are good at it. I might be able to sing a little, I try to sing with music I like sometimes because I get the urge but wouldn't say I am great at it lol.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:41 pm

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

Yes, playing an instrument seemed like fun before I tried to learn how to play it. One other issue I had was that I was more interested in doing other things that I like better instead of practicing my instruments. I have other hobbies & "special interests" too. I can not sing or play any music or instruments, but I really like listening to music. I like to collect music & listen to it. I like to collect music & different formats of music like records, compact discs, and 8-track tapes. I also like to collect other things like coins, music, movies, books, electronics, and maps. I also really like cars. I also have a fascination with Asperger's syndrome & wrong planet. I like to spend a lot of my free time on the Internet reading about my "special interests."

I love reading about my special interests on the internet as well :D . I love listening to music too. It's very calming for me. I am a lot more interested in doing other things than school, so I can relate to what you said about being more interested in other things than what you are supposed to do. I do enjoy some parts of school, though. What are your favorite movies and books?

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

I love reading about my special interests on the internet as well :D . I love listening to music too. It's very calming for me. I am a lot more interested in doing other things than school, so I can relate to what you said about being more interested in other things than what you are supposed to do. I do enjoy some parts of school, though. What are your favorite movies and books?

Yes, I also understand about doing school work; I never liked it either. Some of my favourite movies are Disney movies, the Star Wars series, the Star Trek series, the Marvel super hero series, the Lord Of The Rings series, Carrie, The Shining, Jaws, Mr. Holland's Opus, Mask, Men & Chicken, Grease, The Breakfast Club, The Ring, Rings, Shaft, and King Kong.

I also like to read too. When I was a kid, my favourite books were the poetry books by Shel Silverstein. They were called Where The Sidewalk Ends, A Light In The Attic, and Falling Up. I also liked another kids' book he wrote called The Giving Tree. I actually used to know another author from Chicago called Tamara Amanda Bryant; we used to E mail each other & talk on the telephone. She wrote books of poetry & prose. Her books were called Stumbling & Mumbling, Conviction, Electric Cats, and Bitter Teachings. I have always been interested in maps, so I like to read atlases. I usually prefer nonfiction instead of fiction, but sometimes I like fiction also. I also like to read biographies too.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:05 pm

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

Yes, I also understand about doing school work; I never liked it either. Some of my favourite movies are Disney movies, the Star Wars series, the Star Trek series, the Marvel super hero series, the Lord Of The Rings series, Carrie, The Shining, Jaws, Mr. Holland's Opus, Mask, Men & Chicken, Grease, The Breakfast Club, The Ring, Rings, Shaft, and King Kong.

I also like to read too. When I was a kid, my favourite books were the poetry books by Shel Silverstein. They were called Where The Sidewalk Ends, A Light In The Attic, and Falling Up. I also liked another kids' book he wrote called The Giving Tree. I actually used to know another author from Chicago called Tamara Amanda Bryant; we used to E mail each other & talk on the telephone. She wrote books of poetry & prose. Her books were called Stumbling & Mumbling, Conviction, Electric Cats, and Bitter Teachings. I have always been interested in maps, so I like to read atlases. I usually prefer nonfiction instead of fiction, but sometimes I like fiction also. I also like to read biographies too.

Cool! My brother saw The Ring and he was terrified for weeks :lol: . I have read Shel Silverstein before too. I used to read The Giving Tree as well as some of his poetry. I also prefer nonfiction, and I was hyperlexic when I was little. Sometimes I enjoy fiction- especially if it's about autism/Asperger's. I recently read a fiction book called Reign Rain. It was pretty good.

What kind of cars do you like?