Do you play a musical instrument?

Page 5 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Do you play a musical instrument?
Yes. 39%  39%  [ 228 ]
Yes. 40%  40%  [ 238 ]
No. 10%  10%  [ 59 ]
No. 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 590

Kabu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2013, 3:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
there are people with musical genes [come from a musical familial lineage] and those sans musical genes, and NEVER the twain shall meet.

Yeah... maybe I'm really not able to ever learn one... maybe I actually am from a worth for nothing family. Thanks for reminding :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:15 pm

Kabu wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
there are people with musical genes [come from a musical familial lineage] and those sans musical genes, and NEVER the twain shall meet.

Yeah... maybe I'm really not able to ever learn one... maybe I actually am from a worth for nothing family. Thanks for reminding :wink:

i'd rather be from a world-saving family than merely a musically talented one. good musicians are a dime a dozen but humanitarians are rare birds indeed.

Kabu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2013, 2:20 am

Honestly, I don't think that people are born as something at all. Neither as musicians nor with any other talents. Talent is just a poor excuse for not pushing yourself or others to the top. A great excuse for laziness, too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:22 am

Kabu wrote:
Honestly, I don't think that people are born as something at all. Neither as musicians nor with any other talents. Talent is just a poor excuse for not pushing yourself or others to the top. A great excuse for laziness, too.

NOT. there are people born without the ability to discern pitch. one cannot expect such people to just "jerk themselves up by their own bootstraps" and become that which they are not [musicians].

Harrison54
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2013, 2:36 am

I was always a singer, joined the choir when I was 10 and took singing lessons in my teens. Never got into instruments until I hit my 40's and now play the didje, Native American flute, acoustic guitar and some hand drums. I still don't have the confidence to play in front of anyone :oops:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:52 am

I dream that a patient person would teach me to play jazz drums and/or Hammond organ.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 4:25 pm

I USED to be able to play some small piano concertos from memory but not anymore.
Likewise, I do sometimes hum a tune on my small necklace harmonica which i payed nothing for (cashier error) and I guess that's it.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

had a keyboard when I was younger

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:30 am

Took piano lessons as a kid and have played a few times as an adult. Also want to take guitar lessons sometime too. As a result of playing the piano I have played the organ some too.

My dream is to play the electric guitar and be really good at it. 8)

poemadayguy

14 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

I play the guitar. Not overly well but still... 79% Of us play a musical instrument, surely this isn't only coincidence.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie.

Culture Fair IQ:128 (Top 4%)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 6:53 pm

Used to play classical guitar, then harpsicord and now piano, when I have a piano.
Othewise I have been playing recorder (and tape-recorder :lol: - sorry), crumhorn and a bit of Kortholt (renaissance instruments).

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:19 am

Yes. I've been taking piano lessons on and off since I was five. It was okay, but I often got bored of it. I don't have very much patience for boring tasks, so I could never practice piano enough to progress beyond the lower-intermediate stage. I tried guitar a few times, but I didn't enjoy it. It just felt so awkward playing rock music. I started playing accordion five months ago. I'm progressing way faster than I ever did in piano. I find that I get more into the music and I don't get as bored of it. It can get frustrating, but most issues resolve themselves within one week.

AndrewtheFiddler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2014, 12:30 am

I play violin and double bass in university, guitar and piano and bass guitar, and tin whistle at a performable level, and I can also play harmonica, banjo, low whistle, Irish Flute, and bodhran. I also have a vocal range from low bass to high tenor, as a result of my years in music theatre.

CharlotteEstevez
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2014, 11:32 am

Piano! I wish I could've taken my piano with me when I moved away from home to college..

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 1:42 am

I took piano, clarinet, and guitar lessons----but, to no avail, really, and that was 40 years ago----so I checked "No", on the poll. I actually played piano well enough to play in a show, once, though.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2014, 9:11 am

I learned violin in the 6th grade and studied it for about the next ten years. Gave it up for the next ten before taking lessons again. Was a charter member of a community orchestra and last fall auditioned for our local professional symphony. After nailing the Mozart selections, I choked on Brahms and my interest has fallen WAY off since then.