Reasons for leaving jobs on resume.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2011, 11:18 pm

Most employers/recruitment agencies request that you tell them or fill out forms telling why you left your last job(s).

What are some good reasons you can use to cover up that you were fired for misconduct/poor performance instead of stating you were fired?

Seriously, if the employers/recruiters find out you were fired for misconduct or they discover your spent/past criminal convictions, medical records, workers compensation claim(s). More than likely they will throw your resume in the bin or black list.

Why so much emphasis and focusing on the past? I believe the past should remain in the past.

The amount of bureaucracy and red tape these corporations have in the way to block job seekers getting a job clearly explains why there is so many people unemployed/underemployed. Recruitment agencies are just another tier of bureaucracy to protect the corporations.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 11:30 pm

I would help you out if I could. I have the same issues. I left all my jobs because of issues. I was never fired but I have had problems with people or something that made me not want to go back.
I really need to get ssi because I have a lot of anxiety and issues with communicating.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

I would help you out if I could. I have the same issues. I left all my jobs because of issues. I was never fired but I have had problems with people or something that made me not want to go back.
I really need to get ssi because I have a lot of anxiety and issues with communicating.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm

sacked because of your medical condition is clearly discrimination. discrimination should not be tolerated and clearly is a hate crime.

can charges of discrimination and unlawful dismissal be brought against the employer/company for unfairly dismissing you? IR laws have been strengthened too much in employers favour to allow them to get away with everything.

i would be posting non stop on Facebook and Twitter to expose this manager and company for what they are really like.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm

I think the game is to use a vague, deflecting type of statement:

'More time for school'

'family responsibilities'

-------------

Oh, and about the bureaucracy, I quite agree. So-called "human resource" departments (cough, cough) are among the most bureaucratic organizations on the face of the Earth!

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:43 pm

I'm pretty sure they put those questions on there because they want to see how good people are at lying. I mean, it's really difficult to get hired is you write "my boss was a raving sociopath and I hated him, which is why most people quit jobs. Maybe this is why it's hard for me to get jobs. My resume is brutally honest.

Quote:
Reasons for leaving jobs on resume.

There's so many more reasons to leave a job off a resume, especially if you only worked there for one day.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 1:21 am

Burnbridge wrote:
I'm pretty sure they put those questions on there because they want to see how good people are at lying. I mean, it's really difficult to get hired is you write "my boss was a raving sociopath and I hated him, which is why most people quit jobs. Maybe this is why it's hard for me to get jobs. My resume is brutally honest.

That is depressing. Do employers really WANT liars???

At least I've had enough internships since the one job I got fired from (and they're the only work experience that's relevant to what I want to do - programming) that I can leave the job I got fired from off my resume and honestly say that it would be a waste of paper to include.

AQ: 33

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 2:00 am

Well, a lot of the times applications or resumes say "appropriate" work experience, which is an important distinction. If you had 4 jobs, 3 as computer IT and one as a dishwasher, there's no point listing the dishwasher job on an IT resume, even if it was sandwiched in the middle of the other IT gigs.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2011, 5:29 am

Quote:
If you had 4 jobs, 3 as computer IT and one as a dishwasher, there's no point listing the dishwasher job on an IT resume,

If you worked at this for a length of time you should include as leaving a gap may look worse, if it was upto a month you could probably omit it.

Quote:
What are some good reasons you can use to cover up that you were fired for misconduct/poor performance instead of stating you were fired?

If the job was not recent (ie not one that you would be expected to use for a reference) then you could probably be vague/invent something.

Quote:
Most employers/recruitment agencies request that you tell them or fill out forms telling why you left your last job(s).

That is the nice thing about writing a CV (resume) as you don't have to include information you don't want to.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:42 am

Burnbridge wrote:

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

There is no "good way" to deal with having left a job under poor circumstances. You can be minimal on your information, but basically say X issue came up, but that's enough to be turned down for the position. You can tell the brutal truth and scare people off. You can lie and know if they find out you lied, you'll be fired.

Ironically, lying tends to be the best choice because employer generally WILL NOT say anything negative about you lest they risk fending off a lawsuit. So, unless another reference spills the beans, people who are good liars have no issue with bad employment history unless their work history indicates a negative trend employers find undesirable.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2012, 7:16 am

Prior behavior often is an indicator of future behavior.

If you were fired over poor performance or not showing up at work, why would an employer want to hire you?
You may do the same thing at a new job. Same with other workplace issues, such as anger management problems. Or, if you always quit jobs after one month, why would a new employer want to chance hiring you when you've historically quit every job so fast?

Or, if you took years off from work, people can (and should) wonder why. Did you take years off to be a lazy bum on welfare? Did you take time off to pursue valuable educational goals? Did you travel the world? Did you spend that time taking care of family or a new baby? Did you sleep and waste all of that time? Did you move around from job to job every single month? The past is part of who you are.

Employers want to know your work history to know what skills you have, what customer service skills and problem solving skills you have developed, and how you handle challenges (both in life and work).

Good reasons:

- To attend college at XYZ University for a degree in ...
- To volunteer for the summer with XYZ. I researched XYZ, was responsible for... blah blah
- To accept a more challenging job with XYZ Company that could better challenge me in the areas of X, Y, and Z

ratonlaveur
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2017, 4:56 am

Bringing up a really old thread, but I wanted input on a similar issue. I've worked in full-time jobs for 8 years and always left each position on good terms - I've been lucky to choose a field (scientific research) and have had working environments that were not a problem for ASD-related issues... until my most recent position which was a disaster and I will be leaving after 6 months of employment. I'm wondering if I should:

1) keep this on my resume and be honest in an interview that it didn't work out and try to put a positive spin on it, like "I learned more what to look for in a position"
2) lie and say it was a contract position (it was... but not for 6 months)
3) just leave it off my resume and say I was travelling (I technically was... since this job is in a different country).