Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:36 am

melvin-z wrote:
He intended to buy the largest drink they had. Didn't matter about the commemorative cup, or the extra dollar.

Yes, that was the only intention he had that can be construed before he is informed of the increase in price.

But can you tell me how it is possible for him to buy the smoothie after he is informed of the increase in price if he doesn't intend to pay the extra dollar?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:36 am

I PASSED! I HAVE AS! :lol:

Frankly, I don't see how anyone would see the answers differently. If you want A and as a consequence of wanting A, B must happen, then you did not intentionally seek out B.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:41 am

zer0netgain wrote:
If you want A and as a consequence of wanting A, B must happen, then you did not intentionally seek out B.

That analogy is applicable to the first question. For the second question, as a consequence of wanting A you must do B, and if you do not intend to do B then you cannot have A.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

Burzum wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
If you want A and as a consequence of wanting A, B must happen, then you did not intentionally seek out B.

That analogy is applicable to the first question. For the second question, as a consequence of wanting A you must do B, and if you do not intend to do B then you cannot have A.

But he didn't intend to do B, he HAD to do B. People can do things without intending to do them. There are many things I have had to do in life that I didn't intend to do but had to, regardless of what my intentions were.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:48 am

bumble wrote:
But he didn't intend to do B, he HAD to do B.

He doesn't have to do B, he can choose to not to do B and not have A. For him to have A he must intend to do B.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:50 am

Put it this way: How can he have A if he does not intend to do B?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:55 am

Burzum wrote:

He can't. He can instead choose to do C or D if he doesn't want to do B, C being order a smaller size or something else, D being stay thirsty.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:56 am

Burzum wrote:

He can't unless he wants to go somewhere else or get a different drink.

The truest statement is that "If he does not do B he cannot have A in that instance". He never fully intended to pay an extra dollar, he merely decided to pay an extra dollar and get the drink he wanted on hearing about the price change.

Intention is something you decide to do before the fact.

He intended to get a large drink.
Jane intended to go hiking next Thursday

(for example)

He did not walk into that shop intending to pay an extra dollar. But he did DECIDE to pay the dollar on hearing about the price increase. In that way his action was intentional but may not have originally been intended.

Last edited by bumble on 30 Nov 2011, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:57 am

Unless of course he does B by accident, in which case he did not intend to do B. Though that would imply he paid the extra dollar by accident, which is kind of silly.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

bumble wrote:

The truest statement is that "If he does not do B he cannot have A in that instance". He never fully intended to pay an extra dollar, he merely decided to pay an extra dollar and get the drink he wanted on hearing about the price change.

Yes, but now we're back to considering whether the question asks for his intentions before hearing of the price change or after.

The question is ambiguous and can't be answered :wink:

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

I think his actions were intentional in both cases. He was informed beforehand of the nature of the cup and the price. In both cases he chose to make his purchase despite the fancy cup and the increased price.

If I was thirsty, and I went to buy a drink to be told that it would be in a cup emblazoned with the BNP logo, for example, I would chose to stay thirsty and go elsewhere for a drink.

In both examples it is assumed that the person making the purchases has no objection to the design of/information on the cup and that he has and is prepared to spend more mo ey than he might have expected.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:02 am

Burzum wrote:
bumble wrote:

Yes, but now we're back to considering whether the question asks for his intentions before hearing of the price change or after.

The question is ambiguous and can't be answered :wink:

lol Somewhat true.

Best thing is to ask Joe what he intended to do lol

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:05 am

Quote:
The Free-Cup Case
Joe was feeling quite dehydrated, so he stopped by the local smoothie shop to buy the largest sized drink available. Before ordering, the cashier told him that if he bought a Mega-Sized Smoothie he would get it in a special commemorative cup. Joe replied, ‘I don't care about a commemorative cup, I just want the biggest smoothie you have.' Sure enough, Joe received the Mega-Sized Smoothie in a commemorative cup. Did Joe intentionally obtain the commemorative cup?

Yes, of course he did. He didn't give a flying f**k about said cup, but he still intentionally obtained it because he knew he'd get one with the drink he ordered.

Quote:
The Extra-Dollar Case
Joe was feeling quite dehydrated, so he stopped by the local smoothie shop to buy the largest sized drink available. Before ordering, the cashier told him that the Mega-Sized Smoothies were now one dollar more than they used to be. Joe replied, ‘I don't care if I have to pay one dollar more, I just want the biggest smoothie you have.' Sure enough, Joe received the Mega-Sized Smoothie and paid one dollar more for it. Did Joe intentionally pay one dollar more?

Again, yes. He was told the price was a dollar more and he paid it.

Honestly, how the hell does that test Asperger's at all? It's just basic common sense :roll:

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:12 am

But he didn't intend to get the cup at all, he didn't care about the cup. He intended to get the large drink which happened by chance to come with a fancy cup. If he had intended to get a smaller drink and then changed his decision so that he could get the fancy cup with the large drink then that would have been intentional, although it would not have been what he originally intended.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:13 am

Anybody know Joe personally so we can ask him?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:18 am

bumble wrote:
But he didn't intend to get the cup at all, he didn't care about the cup. He intended to get the large drink which happened by chance to come with a fancy cup. If he had intended to get a smaller drink and then changed his decision so that he could get the fancy cup with the large drink then that would have been intentional, although it would not have been what he originally intended.

He didn't care about the cup, but he still intended to obtain it because he knew about the cup when he ordered the drink.