Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 6:52 am

Is it true? Do most of us think like that or am I just weird even for an Aspie (lol, I'm weird cos I'm normal) if you want to know what it is, look up smoothie question Aspie on google. Tell me your thoughts.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 7:09 am

I did the two question test. I got the answers that it says most people get. I'll explain my reasoning later so I don't influence anyone elses answers.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2011, 7:16 am

Ha, Yeah I think like an aspie.
Although i thought that it was not a great question really.
Can't give more detail without stuffing it up for others.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 7:37 am

The questions are pants lol.

Joe really just wanted a drink, he did not care about the cup and neither did he mind paying the extra dollar. He just wanted the drink darn it! The man was thirsty lol.

The answers I came up with were:

"No" to the first question

and

"Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no does it really matter" to the second question.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 7:50 am

I answered yes for the second question, though the question is worded extremely poorly. On one hand he went to the shop without any intention of attaining a commemorative cup and without any intention of paying a dollar extra. On the other hand he must have the intention of paying a dollar extra otherwise he cannot afford the smoothie and thus will go thirsty. It all depends on which point of time you decide to measure his intentions from - Before the shop keeper informs him of the increased price or afterwards.

Though the real question is why you would try to cure dehydration with a smoothie.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 7:57 am

For the first question I answered no. I just want something to drink and I don't care which cup it is in (when I'm out, at home I tend to use the same few cups and glasses).

For the second answer I answered yes. Spending money is something that is done intentionally. I'm cheap and would have had to think do I really want to spend $1 more or could I settle for a cheaper and smaller size?

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

bumble wrote:
he did not care about the cup and neither did he mind paying the extra dollar

I believe you have conflated caring with intent. The boy may not have cared about paying the extra dollar, but without the intent to do so he cannot buy the smoothie.

hanyo wrote:
Spending money is something that is done intentionally

Though did he have intent to spend the extra dollar before the shop keeper told him he needed to?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:08 am

Burzum wrote:
Though did he have intent to spend the extra dollar before the shop keeper told him he needed to?

I'd say no but once he found out about the price change he had to make a conscious decision to pay that extra dollar or get something cheaper.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

Apparently I think like an aspie :wink:

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:15 am

hanyo wrote:
I'd say no but once he found out about the price change he had to make a conscious decision to pay that extra dollar or get something cheaper.

Exactly. I think that's why the question trips people up, it can be interpreted as asking what his intentions were when he decided to go to the shop and not what his intentions were after the shop keeper informed him of the increased price. This problem doesn't occur in the first question as the answer is always no.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:20 am

Burzum wrote:
Though the real question is why you would try to cure dehydration with a smoothie.

Do you know, I wondered the same thing. They are not the most thirst quenching of drinks. Better to go for water or if you are me and have diet cherry cola addiction (my day is not my day without my cherry coke), then some soda will do lol.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:23 am

Burzum wrote:
bumble wrote:
he did not care about the cup and neither did he mind paying the extra dollar

I believe you have conflated caring with intent. The boy may not have cared about paying the extra dollar, but without the intent to do so he cannot buy the smoothie.

hanyo wrote:
Spending money is something that is done intentionally

But in a way it was not intentional. He did not have the intent to pay an extra dollar when he entered the shop, he merely HAD to pay the extra dollar if he wanted his drink. So in a way it was more something that he NEEDED to do rather than what he originally INTENDED to do! His only real INTENT was to get a drink...the rest is neither here nor there to him.

In another way, on hearing that he HAD to pay the dollar to get his drink, he intentionally handed it over.

So...It depends how you look at it lol

Which is why I couldn't make up my mind lol.

melvin-z
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 8:26 am

He intended to buy the largest drink they had. Didn't matter about the commemorative cup, or the extra dollar.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:28 am

melvin-z wrote:
He intended to buy the largest drink they had. Didn't matter about the commemorative cup, or the extra dollar.

Bingo!

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 8:29 am

melvin-z wrote:

Exactly! :)

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 8:36 am

melvin-z wrote:

Yes, that was the only intention he had that can be construed before he is informed of the increase in price.

But can you tell me how it is possible for him to buy the smoothie after he is informed of the increase in price if he doesn't intend to pay the extra dollar?