Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

do you stim when you are out shopping or just genrally outside? or do you only do it at home?

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

Depends if rubbing my tickle (silky bit of material I carry with me) is counted as stimming.

Also depends if talking to myself out of annoyance when out shopping because the supermarket has moved its shelves around again counts as stimming (or whether talking to yourself in general counts as stimming).

I try not to do that when out though as it is not easily concealed. The tickle, however fits in my pocket and can be rubbed discreetly.

If either of the above count as stimming then yes, otherwise no.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

Both. In any situation, at any place.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

01 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

I try to absolutrly not stim in public. Only at home. But I fidget alot in public, though I make it so it's not that noticeable.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

I stim more away from home than at home.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 2:35 pm

I stick my hands in my pockets and rub my thumbnails against the inside of my fingers. And I trace the outline of my front teeth with the tip of my tongue. Or I'll hum a song in my head, if that counts as stimming.

I only flap my hands when I'm unobserved.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

I don't stim anyway, but if I did, no way would I do it out in public!

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2011, 5:33 pm

I do both, but try to be less obvious in public - no big stims, just little movements.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Dec 2011, 6:17 pm

nintendofan wrote:
do you stim when you are out shopping or just genrally outside? or do you only do it at home?

When I read the topic title, before seeing the actual post, my thought was "yes."

And yes, yes I do stim when I'm out shopping or just generally outside. Last month, I stimmed right in front of a guy who was trying to get my attention to donate for autism awareness, although not on purpose.

Ambiguity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2011, 6:35 pm

Yes. I stim almost ceaselessly. Thankfully, I don't think most of my stims are perceived as being very noticeable or obnoxious. I probably just look very fidgety.

The only stim I consciously control is talking to myself, which I only do in private. However, some people may not consider that a stim.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2011, 8:00 pm

I fidget everywhere at any time, especially when watching a good show/movie, at work, or in traffic.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2011, 8:23 pm

Yes, but not with the same reckless abandon as I do at home.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:28 pm

These days who can tell if you're talking to yourself or someone on your cel? I stim or fidget (is there a difference?) constantly in a store cuz just to get through it.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
I try to absolutrly not stim in public. Only at home. But I fidget alot in public, though I make it so it's not that noticeable.

im guessing its hard to not do it in public then? :P

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Icheb wrote:
I stick my hands in my pockets and rub my thumbnails against the inside of my fingers. .

oh, yes, i do that quite often.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Verdandi wrote:
nintendofan wrote:

Last month, I stimmed right in front of a guy who was trying to get my attention to donate for autism awareness, although not on purpose.

did you do that so he wouldnt bother you?