Difference between PDD-NOS and Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

I am technically PDD-NOS but my diagnoses is Asperger's because it was closest match for a diagnoses. My mother says I slip on and off the AS criteria. I just say I have AS because that is my diagnoses than saying I am PDD-NOS. Besides how many aspies are true AS? Some of them are more autistic than AS and some seem too normal to have AS. But it depends on the doctor because each of them will hand out a different autism label if they are on the spectrum.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Usually when I here about PDD-NOS it sounded to me like it was somewhere between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers. I guess the way one doesn't make the criteria can go either way. What exactly is the difference between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers Sydrome?

Well I don't think there is a specific difference.

Well if there wasn't there wouldn't be 3 different disorders, would there? I know mental retardation and a severe delay in learning to speak are both things that disqualify Aspergers, but not Autistic Disorder.

That is why they are redefining those in the DSM as one spectrum rather then specifying AS or PDD, it will all just be Autism.

ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

Interesting. I was diagnosed PDD-NOS specifically because none of my symptoms seemed very Aspergers or Autism Spectrum.

My understanding of PDD-NOS was just "yeah, SOMETHING is seriously off about this guy, but hell if we know what."

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:26 pm

PDD-NOS is "This person meets the diagnostic criteria for being on the autistic spectrum, but doesn't fit the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Syndrome or classic autism"

This might be because its mild.
This might be because they meet enough criteria for AS but not classic autism but had a speech delay.

NOS= Not Otherwise Specified.

So what it means is "This person is on the autistic spectrum" and no information beyond that.

(As for the difference between AS and classic autism, classic autism requires meeting more criteria and you can't have a speech delay for AS. However, according to some book I read (I think a Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome), a majority of people who are diagnosed with AS meet the diagnostic criteria for classic autism, and they just think that AS is a better label. So its not a real clear distinction other than a major delay in speech or taking care of oneself.)

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 7:54 pm

My daughter has been diagnosed PDD-NOS. She's more Aspie than anything else, but she doesn't have "repetitive movements" nor does she have obsessive interests. She has enough sensory issues that she can't deal with mainstream classroom at all. Oh, and she can't read despite having a reasonable IQ.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2011, 8:03 pm

Personally, I just say autistic, even though I have an aspergers diagnosis. Aspies are all autistic, but not all autistics are aspies :P

The distinction is in the specifics, at what stage in our lives we are at when the diagnosis is made, and the strategies being used to cope. We will always be autistic, but whether or not we fit neatly into the diagnostic criteria for AS / Autism specifically can and will change to different degrees as we go through life. As I said earlier, PDD-NOS is recognition of the autism / PDD diagnosis, without adhering to the specific defined requirements necessary and stipulated by a Aspergers or Classic Autism diagnosis.

ialdabaoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2011, 11:55 pm

I think, for me, the lack of speech delay, the lack of obsessive interests, the lack of stereotyped movements, and the lack of difficulty understanding social rules all ruled out anything on the Autism Spectrum, but there just wasn't anything that they *could* latch onto, diagnosis-wise.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

PDD-NOS is frequently understood to be "mild" autism... NOT true. It means that the person has fewer symptoms, but each of those symptoms could be very, very severe. A person with PDD-NOS can be the most affected of all. Or, they could be the mildest. It's a huge catch-all.

As far as AS and AD... it's not just about a speech delay. I spoke at one year old, but I have AD, because I had all three of the following: language delay, lack of curiosity about the environment, and delay in self-help skills.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:47 am

Ganondox wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Usually when I here about PDD-NOS it sounded to me like it was somewhere between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers. I guess the way one doesn't make the criteria can go either way. What exactly is the difference between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers Sydrome?

Well I don't think there is a specific difference.

Well if there wasn't there wouldn't be 3 different disorders, would there? I know mental retardation and a severe delay in learning to speak are both things that disqualify Aspergers, but not Autistic Disorder.

That is why I am kind of glad they are changing that in the DSM, because all the autism disorders are autism so there is not much sense in describing them as totally different disorders.

Mental retardation is a seperate condition and yes people with autism can have that condition as well, I mean I doubt all people with regular autism have mental retardation or severe learning delays. If I'm wrong I am willing to look at evidence to the contrary.

mangadude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

Thanks to all for your comments.

psychobabbler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2011, 12:07 am

From the book "Wait, What Do You Mean?" Asperger's Tell and Show, published by xlibris.com

Asperger’s Syndrome is: nomenclature: Autism Spectrum Disorder
or Asperger’s Syndrome Disorder (ASD). Asperger’s Syndrome
(AS). Asperger Syndrome (also AS). Aspergers. Asperger Autism.
High-Functioning Autism (HFA). Pervasive Developmental Disorder,
Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS).
Basically, we are talking about the same condition using all of the
above terms. There is a difference between HFA and AS, but it applies
primarily when a person is being formally diagnosed. In HFA, language
is not developed by the age of two. In AS, language is developed by
age of two. A person who is diagnosed (especially as a child) as HFA is
considered “autistic” and often will qualify for social services or special
education. One who is diagnosed with AS often is not as readily accepted
as “autistic” and therefore may not be eligible for the same services as an
HFA person. As an adult, the difference in age of language acquisition
is not discernible, and therefore is not relevant for our discussion.
High-Functioning Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome are regarded here
as a single entity.
PDD-NOS is a general category to denote that one is on the autistic
spectrum. A professional may diagnose PDD-NOS, declining to make
or preliminary to making the HFA/AS, or other distinction. Often, on
rediagnosis, PDD-NOS is refined to an AS diagnosis.

alan78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2013, 6:57 am

Jellybean wrote:
People with PDD-NOS diagnosis are basically people who have symptoms of autism/Asperger syndrome, but not enough for a diagnosis. I don't believe it is used as a diagnosis in the UK. It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence as it too is on a spectrum.

I live in the UK, i believe i may have this, will see how i get on.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm

Jellybean wrote:
People with PDD-NOS diagnosis are basically people who have symptoms of autism/Asperger syndrome, but not enough for a diagnosis.

This, plus they not only have some ASD symptoms but are definitely on the autistic spectrum. There are loads of people who have a few traits without being on the spectrum.

alan78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

Is it possible to be on the autistic spectrum without displaying repetitive behaviour? I feel i have severe problems when it comes to social interaction and communication, but i don't really have any of the repetitive behaviour.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2013, 1:00 pm

Whether it's possible to be on the spectrum without repetitive behavior is kind of the whole reason for the debate over the new ASD criteria. According to the new criteria, you apparently must have at least a childhood history of repetitive behaviors and/or sensory issues, which are often closely intertwined. (Many autistic "stims" are meant to calm agitation caused by sensory integration problems.) Older autistics, however, can often turn their repetitive behaviors into something more like the fidgets seen in non-autistics, and their sensory issues may or may not be as bad as in childhood. My personal suspicion is that if you used to have the repetitive behaviors but no longer do, you might be on the spectrum, whereas if you never had them, you're probably not. Other people have their own views on this, though.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

alan78 wrote:
Is it possible to be on the autistic spectrum without displaying repetitive behaviour? I feel i have severe problems when it comes to social interaction and communication, but i don't really have any of the repetitive behaviour.

Yes, although by far not everyone who is a loner, shy, socially anxious, lacks empathy or is otherwise socially inept is automatically on the spectrum.

Also, you may think you don't fit some criteria but people who know you well may disagree, for example some people don't think they are routine oriented or have repetitive behaviours or interests or physical stims, but they may well have them and not NOTICE.