Difference between PDD-NOS and Asperger's Syndrome

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 5:35 am

I was dx with HFA years ago, but I was "right on the edge" of the diagnosis.
As a child I was classic autistic actually, didn't talked and so on and I still have trouble with routines, overload and all that, but not that much social anymore (still a bit). So I asume the right diagnosis for me is PDD-NOS, but in my country it's not realy a typical diagnosis. For most shrinks either you have ASD or you don't.
Also when I did the AQ for the diagnosis I got 32 points, I was much younger then. But now I just get 26 points.

So my ASD got better, but my mood got worse over the years. 8O

How it is already mentioned, PDD-NOS just means that you don't fullfill all diagnostic criteria, but those whom you fullfill are still strong enough for a diagnosis. So there is a spectrum from BAP (broad autism phenotype) over to PDD-NOS and to fullblown ASD.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

Noetic wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
It can be a diagnosis that doctors give when they don't know what to do with you, but you're obviously on the spectrum.

That there is PDD-NOS in a nutshell. Severity of symptoms doesn't come into it.

This is incorrect someone could have all the symptoms of ASD but if they have severe cognitive impairment they will be diagnosed as PDD-NOS.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

Raziel wrote:
As a child I was classic autistic actually, didn't talked and so on and I still have trouble with routines, overload and all that, but not that much social anymore (still a bit). So I asume the right diagnosis for me is PDD-NOS, but in my country it's not realy a typical diagnosis. For most shrinks either you have ASD or you don't.
Also when I did the AQ for the diagnosis I got 32 points, I was much younger then. But now I just get 26 points.

How it is already mentioned, PDD-NOS just means that you don't fullfill all diagnostic criteria, but those whom you fullfill are still strong enough for a diagnosis. So there is a spectrum from BAP (broad autism phenotype) over to PDD-NOS and to fullblown ASD.

This is simply incorrect. The spectrum does not work like that. around half of people diagnosed with PDDNOS full fill all of the requirements for ASD, but they have MORE symptoms so they are diagnosed with PDDNOS.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 10:03 am

SuperTrouper wrote:
PDD-NOS is frequently understood to be "mild" autism... NOT true. It means that the person has fewer symptoms, but each of those symptoms could be very, very severe. A person with PDD-NOS can be the most affected of all. Or, they could be the mildest. It's a huge catch-all.

As far as AS and AD... it's not just about a speech delay. I spoke at one year old, but I have AD, because I had all three of the following: language delay, lack of curiosity about the environment, and delay in self-help skills.

Interesting! I was diagnosed PDD-NOS because I fit the criteria for Autistic Disorder AND Asperger's syndrome but I didn't qualify for aspergers because of my speech delay. However my VIQ was larger then my PIq? (Perceptual IQ) and she felt my verbal skills were now to high for classic autism so she diagnosed with with pDD-NOS. my self help skills were and to a fair extent are still delayed! I know at 5 I could only use a spoon to eat and couldn't really dress myself. I also have very clear memories of them trying to teach me to ask for help when it is needed ect. I also had a moderate speech delay at age 5

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 10:30 am

MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:
They have lower IQs and are considered moderate functioning.

Nope. I'm diagnosed PDD-NOS and have above average IQ.

IQ doesn't factor into it anyway. You can have low IQ and still be PDD-NOS

All it means is that you have just enough Autistic symptoms to qualify as being "barely" on the spectrum, but not enough symtoms to qualify for a full Autism DX or a DX for any other ASD. It won't exist anymore when DSM-V comes in to affect in 2013. It'll be absorbed into Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but low on the severity scale.

This is true^ Dr Gail Saltz was saying this in an interview on the Today Show
http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 1#50055301

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 10:45 am

Chloe33 wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

All it means is that you have just enough Autistic symptoms to qualify as being "barely" on the spectrum, but not enough symtoms to qualify for a full Autism DX or a DX for any other ASD. It won't exist anymore when DSM-V comes in to affect in 2013. It'll be absorbed into Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but low on the severity scale.

She didn't say that at all, because it isn't true. IQ is in fact a factor, and low IQ is the biggest reason for a PDDNOS diagnosis.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:

This is simply incorrect. The spectrum does not work like that. around half of people diagnosed with PDDNOS full fill all of the requirements for ASD, but they have MORE symptoms so they are diagnosed with PDDNOS.

I just can think of McDD were this is the case and also often dx as PDD-NOS
Also when the development of autism is "atypical", but then you don't meet the dx criteria for the onset.
Other than that it means that you don't fullfill enough diagnostic criteria. If I'm wrong again, please give me a link to a website.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

Raziel wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:

Also when the development of autism is "atypical", but then you don't meet the dx criteria for the onset.
Other than that it means that you don't fullfill enough diagnostic criteria. If I'm wrong again, please give me a link to a website.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=p ... d_RVDocSum

The first group 24% meets all of the requirements for Asperger,but they are too cognitively impaired to be diagnosed with Aspergers.

The second group 24% is a mixed bag, they have all symptoms of Autism,but their onset is either too late, they are too young for a proper diagnosis, or they are impaired cognitively beyond what even classical autism allows.

The third group 52% include people who meet all of the requirements for classical autism, which includes speech delay, and cognitive impairment, but lack repetitive behaviors.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:14 am

DVCal wrote:
Chloe33 wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

She didn't say that at all, because it isn't true. IQ is in fact a factor, and low IQ is the biggest reason for a PDDNOS diagnosis.

This is because most ppl who don't fullfill enough diagnostic criteria of ASD are not in need of an autism diagnosis and are refered to as being BAP. But this is different with ppl with lower IQ, who have more trouble finding coping mechanisms that work for them ans so end up more often with the label PDD-NOS.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:18 am

DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:

The first group 24% meets all of the requirements for Asperger,but they are too cognitively impaired to be diagnosed with Aspergers.

The second group 24% is a mixed bag, they have all symptoms of Autism,but their onset is either too late, they are too young for a proper diagnosis, or they are impaired cognitively beyond what even classical autism allows.

The third group 52% include people who meet all of the requirements for classical autism, which includes speech delay, and cognitive impairment, but lack repetitive behaviors.

"In terms of level of functioning measures, the PDD-NOS children had scores that were between those of the children with autism and those of the children with AS. In contrast, the PDD-NOS group had fewer autistic symptoms, especially repetitive stereotyped behaviors, than both the autism and AS groups (chi2 = 11.06, p =.004). Children with PDD-NOS could be placed into one of three subgroups: a high-functioning group (24%) who resembled AS but had transient language delay or mild cognitive impairment; a subgroup resembling autism (24%) but who had late age of onset or too severe cognitive delays or were too young to potentially meet the full diagnostic criteria for autism; and a group (52%) not fulfilling the criteria for autism because of fewer stereotyped and repetitive behaviors."

Yes, a lack of diagnostic criteria. Because they don't met them enough diagnostic criteria. That's PDD-NOS.
What else are you trying to say?
I mean, that was clear from the beginning...

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

Raziel wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:

"In terms of level of functioning measures, the PDD-NOS children had scores that were between those of the children with autism and those of the children with AS. In contrast, the PDD-NOS group had fewer autistic symptoms, especially repetitive stereotyped behaviors, than both the autism and AS groups (chi2 = 11.06, p =.004). Children with PDD-NOS could be placed into one of three subgroups: a high-functioning group (24%) who resembled AS but had transient language delay or mild cognitive impairment; a subgroup resembling autism (24%) but who had late age of onset or too severe cognitive delays or were too young to potentially meet the full diagnostic criteria for autism; and a group (52%) not fulfilling the criteria for autism because of fewer stereotyped and repetitive behaviors."

Yes, a lack of diagnostic criteria. Because they don't met them enough diagnostic criteria. That's PDD-NOS.
What else are you trying to say?
I mean, that was clear from the beginning...

No where does it say they all lacked diagnostic criteria, in fact it says nearly half met all of criteria, but had extra criteria, so were placed in PDDNOS. You are trying misrepresent what is PDDNOS.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:39 am

Raziel wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Chloe33 wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

This is because most ppl who don't fullfill enough diagnostic criteria of ASD are not in need of an autism diagnosis and are refered to as being BAP. But this is different with ppl with lower IQ, who have more trouble finding coping mechanisms that work for them ans so end up more often with the label PDD-NOS.

There are many who fit all of the requirements for AS and Autism but were too cognitively impaired, these people are diagnosed with PDDNOS.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

From what I have read, PDD-NOS is also used to diagnose those who are clearly AS but for one reason or another cannot provide confirmation of their childhood development (parents dead or whatever), so they can't meet the criteria for AS where it states that there must be evidence of it from childhood (even if they did, they just can't prove it, so even if they remember lots of relevant facts, if it can't be verified by someone who knew them as a child).

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:42 am

Raziel wrote:

...that's from trying to force yourself to fit into society, behaving as others do, but it doesn't come naturally. So it's a big strain on your mental health, causing things like anxiety and depression - known co-morbidities of AS. Many of us can fit in superficially...but it's at such great cost.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

I don't know why so many on here cling to this false idea that PDDNOS only refers to people who lacked enough symptoms for ASD diagnosis. This is simply wrong, and spreading this false idea does no good.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

DVCal wrote:
Raziel wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Chloe33 wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

There are many who fit all of the requirements for AS and Autism but were too cognitively impaired, these people are diagnosed with PDDNOS.

Yes, because they didn't fit in the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's, so you can't diagnose them with that.
You have to meet all the diagnostic criteria that are nececerry to diagnose Asperger's, also the part with the IQ.