Difference between PDD-NOS and Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mangadude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Hello,

I would like to know the difference between PDD-NOS and Asperger's. I've been reading about them and they kind of share some characteristics, so I'm not sure what is the difference between them. I also present some symptoms from both of them (I'm suspecting I may have one mild case of one of these two. If you would like to hear me out, feel free to PM me)

Thank you very much.

AQ score: 26

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

They have lower IQs and are considered moderate functioning.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:

I would think there is a bit of variation between people with that, lower IQ's then who exactly?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

mangadude wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know the difference between PDD-NOS and Asperger's. I've been reading about them and they kind of share some characteristics, so I'm not sure what is the difference between them. I also present some symptoms from both of them (I'm suspecting I may have one mild case of one of these two. If you would like to hear me out, feel free to PM me)

Thank you very much.

PDD-Not otherwise specified?.........if so then there aren't probably too many specific differences because NOS means you have symptoms of a disorder but don't quite fit the normal criteria but are disabled none the less. So the differences would depend on the individual with PDD-NOS and what symptoms they exibit.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

People with PDD-NOS diagnosis are basically people who have symptoms of autism/Asperger syndrome, but not enough for a diagnosis. I don't believe it is used as a diagnosis in the UK. It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence as it too is on a spectrum.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:

Uh. No. This is patently false.

I was AS as a child. I am now PDD-NOS because I've improved functioning through training and adaptation. My IQ is 145 thank you very much.

Sweetleaf pretty much nailed it in his last post.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:

Nope. I'm diagnosed PDD-NOS and have above average IQ.

As a child I had sensory issues and disliked change more than anything. I was never that impaired with language or social communication.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

IQ doesn't factor into it anyway. You can have low IQ and still be PDD-NOS

All it means is that you have just enough Autistic symptoms to qualify as being "barely" on the spectrum, but not enough symtoms to qualify for a full Autism DX or a DX for any other ASD. It won't exist anymore when DSM-V comes in to affect in 2013. It'll be absorbed into Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but low on the severity scale.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

I don't know what PDD-NOS stands for, but I know what it means.

I've met a few people with this sort of thing. They weren't Aspie enough to be diagnosed, but they were like they were on the spectrum somehow. Although I have mild AS, I still seem ''severer'' than them, so it must be PDD-NOS with them. It's like they seem Aspie-fied and everything, but then they are still better than me at chatting to people they don't know. I can relate to them and everything, and they say how they feel when they're in social situations (like feeling shy and not wanting to speak and not knowing what to say), then when we are in a social situation I find they are speaking comfortably to everyone and saying the right things as though they haven't got anything wrong.

Maybe I would be like that if I didn't have Social Phobia.

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Basically if you are going for an assessment, they want to be able to classify you neatly (if autistic) according to Classic Autism & Aspergers, which have certain parameters that need to be met in order to qualify for the diagnosis.

PDD-NOS Just means that you don't have the strict qualifications for Classic Autism OR Aspergers Autism, but that you clearly have autism to a degree and it impacts your life, even if you don't meet the requirements for the two standard diagnosis.

Think of it this way, all three diagnosis are a part of the "Persistent Developmental Disorder" category, so PDD-Aspergers, PDD-Classic Autism, PDD-Not Otherwise Specified.

Just think of it as recognition of your issues, but that you don't fit nicely into the diagnostic criteria for the specific traits of the other two diagnosis.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

IQ doesn't factor into it anyway. You can have low IQ and still be PDD-NOS

All it means is that you have just enough Autistic symptoms to qualify as being "barely" on the spectrum, but not enough symtoms to qualify for a full Autism DX or a DX for any other ASD. It won't exist anymore when DSM-V comes in to affect in 2013. It'll be absorbed into Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but low on the severity scale.

That is not quite what it means....it means the individual with the disorder does not quite meet the exact specifications for the disorder, it in no way indicates that they barely have enough symptoms to be diagnosed with a disorder. I am pretty sure PDD-NOS is not being removed from the DSM because NOS disorders are not typically in the DSM.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Usually when I here about PDD-NOS it sounded to me like it was somewhere between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers. I guess the way one doesn't make the criteria can go either way. What exactly is the difference between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers Sydrome?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Usually when I here about PDD-NOS it sounded to me like it was somewhere between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers. I guess the way one doesn't make the criteria can go either way. What exactly is the difference between Autistic Disorder and Aspergers Sydrome?

Well I don't think there is a specific difference.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Well I don't think there is a specific difference.

Well if there wasn't there wouldn't be 3 different disorders, would there? I know mental retardation and a severe delay in learning to speak are both things that disqualify Aspergers, but not Autistic Disorder.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't know what PDD-NOS stands for, but I know what it means.

I've met a few people with this sort of thing. They weren't Aspie enough to be diagnosed, but they were like they were on the spectrum somehow. Although I have mild AS, I still seem ''severer'' than them, so it must be PDD-NOS with them. It's like they seem Aspie-fied and everything, but then they are still better than me at chatting to people they don't know. I can relate to them and everything, and they say how they feel when they're in social situations (like feeling shy and not wanting to speak and not knowing what to say), then when we are in a social situation I find they are speaking comfortably to everyone and saying the right things as though they haven't got anything wrong.

Maybe I would be like that if I didn't have Social Phobia.

Nah. I'm not like that. I'm way on the quiet side compared to everyone else in a social situation. I rarely have a clue what to say. I try to be polite as possible but its hard to get much further than that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

I am technically PDD-NOS but my diagnoses is Asperger's because it was closest match for a diagnoses. My mother says I slip on and off the AS criteria. I just say I have AS because that is my diagnoses than saying I am PDD-NOS. Besides how many aspies are true AS? Some of them are more autistic than AS and some seem too normal to have AS. But it depends on the doctor because each of them will hand out a different autism label if they are on the spectrum.