Ways you tried making friends being a child

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

Todesking wrote:
The_Wanderer wrote:
I have a couple friends that keep trying me to play with them. I really don't have the kind of imagination needed to enjoy that kind of game, so I'm constantly turning them down. Are these types of role playing games popular among aspies?

The games I played in we used a plastic mat with a grid printed on it. We drew on the mat with a wet/dry earase markers. We then moved metal and plastic figures around on the mat fighting monsters and interacting with non-player characters. I always loved the problem solving and the lists of spells and the use of tactics. It really does not take much imagination. You listen to the game master and react to what is going on. You roll the dice against your enemy's ability scores and your to hit ability or whatever. It's not that hard. You will never know if you do not try it. The worst outcome is you get out of the house and waste an hour or two with some friemds. :wink:

Yeah, we used the dry erase mat and miniatures, too. My favorite campaign, though, was a lot more like a mystery novel. Our second session, we got into a bar brawl and killed someone. Then the cops were after us. "Really? Cops in D&D?" we asked. We were expecting to go kill some goblins or something. "Yeah, cops. City guard. What, you think they didn't have cops way back when? You are now on the lamb..." the Dungeon Master said. We spent 6 months trying to sneak out of town, then another year and a half trying to cross the national border to get away. Hilarious. One of our guys made it to lvl 3, the rest lvl 2. After 2 years of playing.

It was fun problem solving, more so than just rolling dice and getting treasure and XP. The DM did all the creative stuff, though, like thinking up the situations and the world, and describing the rooms and stuff. He had the imagination, our decisions supplied the entertainment. The players just analyzed problems and tried to think our way out of them.

A couple of our players were visual thinkers, and the DM drew comics, so a lot of the times he had pictures drawn of the characters we met or the buildings we saw. It helped a lot.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

swbluto wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
ediself wrote:
Oh that reminds me, one of them had a big sister, and while biking with the boys' bikes, she jumped down on the middle bar (ouch) because it didn't brake, and hurt her private parts. I told her she HAD to tell her mother, in case it was bad. She didn't know how to say it.... I told her it was called a vagina lol, she said omg, my mother would kill me for saying that, so we settled on the word "flower".
She told her mother she had hurt her "flower", and recieved the biggest slap I had ever seen.....
Weird people they were....
That was VERY off topic. Sorry.

.....um, yes, that is VERY off topic.....

That was VERY funny, too. :lol:

Thanks for sharing, edi!

And now I will never think of "Flower" the skunk from "Bambi" the same way again.

Frances

Swift
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2011, 3:43 pm

I also cannot remember ever making friends myself - the few I had came to me. Most out of pity, yes. I've been thinking about this. I feel really grateful to a few of them, beacuase for one, had they not have made time for me, made the effort, I'd think my social skills would be so much worse than the already are.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm

I tried quite a bit of things to make myself more likeable and to get friends.

I learned Japanese, partially because I wanted to be able to read manga in Japanese and also so that I could understand what two friends were talking about. By the time I learned the language well enough, I'd already transferred schools and wasn't in contact with them anymore.

I tried changing my outfits every day and looking more "trendy" by looking at magazines. Once again, it wasn't terribly successful. I didn't have a great sense of fashion and clothing really isn't gonna earn you friends.

Another thing I tried was to just be really really nice to people. I overheard a conversation one day that this one girl was well liked and popular because she was just so nice to everyone. So I thought to try it. Once again, it didn't work out that well and I found myself becoming a doormat of sorts. People were just taking advantage of me.

Another time, I tried pretending I wasn't a great student, thinking that maybe people didn't like me because I was too smart. Nope, it didn't work. :wink:

I tried joining clubs so that I'd have somewhere to go at lunch time. It worked, but finding common interests with people wasn't enough to form lasting friendships. I still felt like an outsider.

Long story short, I did plenty of silly things because I thought it would earn me friends. Was it worth it? I'm not entirely sure. But, for better or for worse, it's what I did!