Does anyone have favorite indie groups?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Midori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

My favourites off the top of my head are the Arcade Fire and Metric (Emily Haines and the Soft Skeletons are also up there). For the lesser-known groups, I'd say Enon, the Album Leaf, Iron and Wine, The Dears and the Stars.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

Bun wrote:
People tend to think it's about bands only 5 people have heard of, it's always been about attitude and having cool hair in my perspective. Again, because I believe that the British press uses the word indie to describe the wave which Britpop had risen from, and their descendents.

An artist signed to any label is not independent in my opinion. The term; 'indie' should not describe the sound or image of a band.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

That's alright, but if someone asks if you like music from unsigned bands, what can you say to that? Theoretically, there might be a pop singer which sounds like all the other pop artists that get signed, the only difference is that they didn't release their music on a label. Trying to define something by what it sounds like, or by its look, is just simpler for some.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

Bun wrote:
That's alright, but if someone asks if you like music from unsigned bands, what can you say to that? Theoretically, there might be a pop singer which sounds like all the other pop artists that get signed, the only difference is that they didn't release their music on a label. Trying to define something by what it sounds like, or by its look, is just simpler for some.

Well why not say indie plus the genre the band is? Otherwise we would be suggesting only britpop artists can be indie; which is far from the truth.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

It's a relative truth, I can't know every culture's alternative music scene. Personally, I only refer to the music I like by saying what bands I like, though sometimes I namedrop stuff I haven't listened to and compare it to other music if I really want to impress someone. Anyway, about the word itself, I never just say indie unless I explain what I mean by saying which genre of indie I'm referring to.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:28 am

The word "indie" when referring to music has two meanings.

1.A band that is independent from a Major label. It does not matter what the genre is.

2. A genre that is original,not mainstream,trendy and the majority of people have not heard of the band.

Now scene kids have metaphorically raped the word indie.They turn it into a fashionable and profitable business.
Some indie labels are actually owned by a major label. I think that having a genre called indie is a bit pointless.
There are clearly other genres that use the word indie to sound clever and trendy. It's all about image and less about the art of music.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:43 am

artrat wrote:
Some indie labels are actually owned by a major label.

Yup, for example Creation Records and Korova. The former did especially provide me with good 'Alternative to the mainstream' bands, and it's owned by Sony, I think.

jmagda
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2012, 6:58 pm

Broken Social Scene