Star Wars Episode 1 in 3D...What do you think?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

I'm not joking about this one either...here's an article.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/star ... ters-in-3/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:58 pm

Waste of time, money, and effort.

Why do they not try to write a completely NEW story, rather than re-hash the same old stuff that we're already familiar with?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

^^
That's a good question.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Can they convert the acting and writing to 3D?

Fnord wrote:

Why do they not try to write a completely NEW story, rather than re-hash the same old stuff that we're already familiar with?

This is a waste of time, sure, but would you trust George Lucas to make a new story that isn't a complete embarrassment?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

Jory wrote:
Can they convert the acting and writing to 3D?

Fnord wrote:

This is a waste of time, sure, but would you trust George Lucas to make a new story that isn't a complete embarrassment?

That's a good question too. :wink:

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

I would prefer a total rewrite rather than releasing in 3D reliving the worst Star Wars movie made followed by Episode 2. Also, was it not said that George would stop there after releasing Episode 3?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

PastFixations wrote:
Also, was it not said that George would stop there after releasing Episode 3?

George's word can be trusted about as much as a heroin addict's. The guy can never, ever get his story straight. First he said that Star Wars was intended from the very beginning to be twelve movies. Then it was nine movies. Then it was six movies. And there definitely would not be another Star Wars movie. Then comes The Clone Wars. Oh, and all those 1997 Special Edition changes, there won't be any more! They represent my original vision perfectly! Then come the 2004 changes, then come the Blu-ray changes. Don't ever assume that George won't do something if there's money to be made.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 7:52 pm

I have the movies on Blu Ray and being a big fan I will say despite it's many flaws I do actually like Episode 1. It's my least favourite out of the saga but still an OK movie. Jar Jar Binks and Anakin Skywalker are annoying but in my opinion they're quite tolerable and I think I will go see it again despite the fact that I have 2 copies of it at home and the fact that it's not that great of a movie and the fact that I would be wasting money not just for the ticket but also for the train ticket I would have to buy to get to the cinema but I've always wanted to see the Star Wars films on the big screen and I won't skip any of them. It's not really because of the 3D it's because that I get to see this amazing space saga on the big screen. Theres something about seeing classic movies that you never saw on the big screen but back on the big screen thats so exciting.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

I'm sure the prequels will look the best in the conversion since they've aged the least and were mostly on digital film to begin with, but I still question the logic of releasing the films chronologically instead of by the year they were released. Menace is near-unanimously regarded as the worst film of the series and it sends a pretty bad message that they're using this film to lead off the new series of releases. If this were baseball, this would be like sending your worst batter out to hit first instead of your best contact hitter & baserunner.

While I do give them credit for de-emphasizing Jar Jar and Anikan in the poster and the trailer and giving more emphasis to Darth Maul and the podrace, that's still not going to change what audiences will see in the actual film. If Lucas decides to pull the plug on the 3D conversions due to a poor audience response, he's got no one to blame but himself for making such an awful business decision.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 3:05 pm

crmoore wrote:
I still question the logic of releasing the films chronologically instead of by the year they were released. Menace is near-unanimously regarded as the worst film of the series and it sends a pretty bad message that they're using this film to lead off the new series of releases.

Releasing them chronologically isn't just a bad idea since the prequels are bad films. It's also a bad idea because it's impossible to watch the prequels first and have any idea what the hell is going on. All the exposition is in the original films. Anyone who watches the prequels first will be wondering what the hell the Force is or what a Jedi Knight is, in addition to experiencing bad films and likely being turned off from the idea of ever watching the original films.