Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Going back and remembering my previous interests, just for the sake of nostalgia.

8O I forgot to document Q3 special interest results, outcomes, and generally conduct self-analysis. It will be difficult keeping the pressure and pulse at fairly low levels.
* Documenting studies for future analysis

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Sweden

I had Sweden as a special interest too.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 12:23 am

I have had loads of short-term special interests over the years. They usually crop up when I'm between major special interests and trying to find something new to stick with. I consider short-term interests to be the ones that last 6 months or less. Some notable short-term interests I've had have included:

The children's anime Hamtaro
The anime Code Geass
The anime Gurren Lagann
British TV shows (Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and Little Britain)
The Ace Attorney video game series by Capcom (I didn't care for the game itself so much as the characters in it)
The cartoon Adventure Time (though it was technically also kind of a forced special interest)

SammichEater wrote:
Going back and remembering my previous interests, just for the sake of nostalgia.

I do this sometimes too. It usually never lasts longer than a day.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 12:40 am

I am surprised by the fact that searching, "Short-term Special Interest," on Google provides only two links to AS-related pages. This happens to be one of the two (and my first non-full name #1 entry). It also seems like we all know what a short-term special interest is despite the lack of relevant references.

My personal definition for the, "short-term," component is a length of time under a month. The, "intermediate," interests run for anywhen under a year, and the, "long-term," interest is the chain of closely related topics I have kept since around the third or fourth grade and will likely keep even after becoming a graduate student and a possible doctor.

DaBuddha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2011, 3:44 am

I drive my wife nuts with my short term special interests, especially since they repeat sometimes in a non-sequential manner. I'll become obsessed with say, comic books for a few months, and spend a couple hundred dollars buying up related things, only for it to pass, and I end up selling everything to fund my next special interest. It's usually only one short-term interest at a time though, thankfully, in addition to my long-term interests.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 9:52 am

I don't have short-term interests. Almost all of my SIs always remain such. Instead, I have low-INTENSITY special interests. I only have 3-4 TRUE special interests, as in ones that are my true life's passion, the ones I will ramble about whenever I can, the ones everybody knows me for, etc. But I have too many mild/low-level special interests to count. Most of them are TV shows, movies, or other areas of science outside of my main SI field of neuropsychiatry. My low-level SIs tend to be less eccentric, more "popular" topics, such as Harry Potter and Degrassi: The Next Generation, and they usually tie in somehow with themes of my main/true special interests.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?