How does the AS mind work differently than the NT mind?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

When you're watching tv, and your train of thought goes off on a tangent, are you a) able to follow whats going on in the tv show or b) do you have to rewind it?
Poll ended at 23 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm
I'm an Aspie/Autistic and I choose a. 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
I'm an Aspie/Autistic and I choose b. 79%  79%  [ 33 ]
I'm an NT and I choose a. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm an NT and I choose b. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 42

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

Awaiting diagnosis after positive screening (neuropsych appt is 3/28/12). Answer for me is B. I also have ADHD tho, that may also be why.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

I'd say it depends, usually I don't need to rewind, because most of it is redundant (as someone said before). But if it is something really important and interesting, I definitely choose B. The same with a few people (like two or three) talking simultaneously about something and I have to filter out redundant words and remember all necessary info. I'm never certain about what I understood from speech, I prefer to have everything written, but I think it's still far better than it was in my childhood.

I think the "a" skill is important for translators, who have to translate some speech to their own language in realtime. They have to listen to the speaker of language A, translate everything to language B and speak it in language B simultaneously. That's kinda heavy multitasking for me. I will probably never be able to do that.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2011, 12:47 am

kirayng wrote:
Awaiting diagnosis after positive screening (neuropsych appt is 3/28/12). Answer for me is B. I also have ADHD tho, that may also be why.

What is ADHD? Don't we all have that? Isn't it just an issue with paying attention and losing track of conversations or trains of thought? If so, then I have ADHD too.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2011, 12:48 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:
Hi Awesome, what about this situation?

1> When you are talking to someone, are you a) also able to think about internal things, or do you lose track of the conversation and you would have to ask that someone to repeat themselves?
a) Yes. I don't have this problem. I can keep track of many things at the same time.
b) No. If I accidentally go off on a tangent in my mind, then I completely lose track of the conversation, and I would have to ask them to repeat themselves.

I answer yes to both. I treated them as the same question.

I have a quick enough mind that even if I end up missing something, I can usually fill in the gaps. Also, as I stated, I do not need much focus to develop an idea.

Hey Awesomelyglorious. Are you NT or AS? And do you know your MBTI type?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 3:22 am

rombomb2 wrote:
Hey Awesomelyglorious. Are you NT or AS? And do you know your MBTI type?

AS. INTJ.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Dec 2011, 4:15 am

rombomb2 wrote:
kirayng wrote:

What is ADHD? Don't we all have that? Isn't it just an issue with paying attention and losing track of conversations or trains of thought? If so, then I have ADHD too.

Who do you mean by "Don't we all have that?" We all don't, whether you mean everyone or just mean autistic people. However, most autistic people do meet the criteria for ADHD, but the numbers reported in research vary from 60-75%.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2011, 8:17 am

Verdandi wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Who do you mean by "Don't we all have that?" We all don't, whether you mean everyone or just mean autistic people. However, most autistic people do meet the criteria for ADHD, but the numbers reported in research vary from 60-75%.

That number coincides with this poll's results.

Is B ADHD?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 8:23 am

Chances are if I am watching t.v and my mind wanders, I probably don't care what was going on, on the t.v and would not bother even considering rewinding it.