Page 11 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:24 am

I remember when vhs tapes and cassette players were a thing.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:47 am

when my hometown wasn't covered in dust and its air with pollution.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:20 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
they still are cigarette lighters, to me. both me and my dad have them in our cars (EXCEPT MINE DOESN'T STAY PUSHED IN SO I HAVE TO HOLD IT IN BUT I DON'T SMOKE SO IT DOESN'T MATTER BUT IT STILL BUGS ME)

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...Kip is just kidding, of course.

But I did have a black-and-white TV in my room in the 1970s.

I remember when there were no remotes, and we had to get up to change the channel.

We also had to stamp our foot at a certain point in the floor to get good reception sometimes. Reception became invariably good in the 1980s, with the proliferation of cable TV.

In the 1970s, most cars had radios, and most had air-conditioning. Many people didn't like power windows because they used to malfunction. They were much bigger than cars today, just like 1950's cars were much bigger than even the 1970s cars. They had lousy gas mileage. Gas/petrol was leaded most of the time.

all our TVs in childhood were these grainy color CRT types, and they had remotes, but due to being dropped and abused every so often (or sometimes plain bad build quality) they wouldn't always work and i just used the buttons regularly since they never failed me.

i remember fiddling around with the remotes on three different CRTs, seeing what would happen if i entered the number of the channel i was currently watching on the remote.

the panasonic in our living room would flash black for a second before restoring the picture.

the old zenith in my parent's room would cut out and quickly flash static/white noise before restoring the picture.

and the tv in my room (magnavox? panasonic? sony?) wouldn't do anything.

my 1990 camry has power windows, all the cars i've driven have power windows and i think i've been spoiled by them. manual rolldowns seem like a really big pain, especially for someone like me who has a very specific "window configuration" depending on speed, weather, car vibrations. might be riskier too.

as for AC, my car used the old r12 refrigerant, Freon i think it was called, but it all leaked out long ago and now it only blows plain air. they replaced it with r134a in the mid 90s since Freon was found to be a harmful CFC, but i read it had even more powerful cooling properties than the new stuff....maybe someone can confirm/deny this for me. :mrgreen:

yeah....those big american cars from the 70s really were/are something to look at. it's too bad, though, that said decade saw the beginning of the big emissions regulations and standards we have today, and so as result we got cadllacs with hulking 7 litre v8 engines that made like a pathetic 135 horse or something. IIRC.

NOW we know how to get big power out of small engines, but it was something else then i'd assume. don't want to imagine what they were like to drive....much less to park.

Kiprobalhato:

Speaking of your car, 1990 was the year when Toyota introduced Lexus, and also the year when Toyota's rival, Nissan, introduced Infiniti. The first Lexus models were the mid-sized front-wheel drive model ES 250, which is very similar to your car, and the full-sized rear-wheel drive model LS 400, which are both still produced today. Infiniti's first models were the mid-sized model M 30 coupe & convertible, and the full-sized Q 45 sedan, both rear-wheel drive, which were both discontinued several years ago. Lexus has always been more popular than Infiniti, which was never a strong seller, and never really caught on.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 8:29 pm

I remember when the term "pregnant roller skate" used to apply to the Volkswagen bug. Now, people call my SMART car a "pregnant roller skate." I like it.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm

I remember when people used to make fun of Volvo cars because the design of the cars' bodies were angular & looked like boxes.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 9:38 pm

...and now all cars are shaped like lightly used bars of soap because MUH AERODYNAMICS, so the volvos of old stand out and people like them for that. :)

(the new s90 and v90 are f****n smexy though i must say)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:09 pm

I remember when at the checkout at the grocery store you'd always be asked "paper or plastic?". Nowadays plenty of grocery stores don't carry paper bags.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:00 pm

I remember when grocery stores used to have small machines which gave out coupons for products in the aisle you were walking thru.