Do people with Aspergers typically have problems balancing?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

byakuugan
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

It would be easier if I could drag and drop the atoms of my body like icons instead of having to manipulate them with my mind

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

Not me! I have great balance. ^_^

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

byakuugan wrote:
It would be easier if I could drag and drop the atoms of my body like icons instead of having to manipulate them with my mind

Well, yeah, it would, but one atom at a time would really take a long time. You'd probably have someone else dropping your whole body into a grave before you could raise a finger.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

I almost die on a daily basis from lack of balance.... but that may just be that I am a klutz...

AQ: 36

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:07 pm

I am SO clumsy, dear lordy. I'm good with my hands (though I use my toes like hands sometimes xD), but that's pretty much it.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2011, 6:08 pm

It must have something to do with my obsessive traits. Skateboarding for me was an escape from a difficult environment so maybe I'm able to bypass the typical clumsiness for it. I am clumsy, I just almost broke my wrist by bumping it on the bathroom door :p, hurt like the dickens and I can barely feed myself on stressful days. However I played soccer, did gymnastics as a child, heck I use to walk on my hands. It's probably also dependent on personality. I'm known to be an extremely all or nothing person. Thanks for your contributions everyone. I'm new to this and my mother's been filling me with horror stories of having my disability checks taken away because I'm able to ride a bike and what not since I was little. I feel better now and am glad I joined this forum :).

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:20 pm

I paid attention to my steps and believe they're reasonably even and rhythmic.

I watch other people, and their movements seem erratic to me.

I can hit small targets, with a rock, in the desert.

I couldn't throw a basketball, when there was music I didn't like.

I make exact measurements, with the naked eye, verify them with tape measure, etc, but I messed up, on a loud machine, when there was a car quiter alarm in the background.

I think its the "can't walk and chew gum at the same time" thing.

It seems to affect my posture, position of my jaw, and my ability to swallow. All of these things go away when there is no stress.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:42 pm

Motor skills issues are sometimes, but not always, part of the package with people on the Autism/Asperger's spectrum. I did take longer to ride a bike, but eventually did learn. There is a certain angle of leaning back that really makes me feel unbalanced, like I am going to fall, even if I am sitting down. I have some minor hand skill issues. I have slightly turned out feet, so my walking gait is awkward and unsteady. It was made worse when I put on a lot of weight, but I compensate by walking slow. I did take dancing lessons for a while as a child, and I think that helped a little, too, but that was a long time ago.

The Autism/Asperger's spectrum of disorders is made up of a number of different symptoms, and it is not necessary to have all of them to be on the spectrum. I don't have all of them, but I do have a lot of them. It's hard, but at least now that I know what's wrong with me, it's easier for me to deal with it.

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2015, 2:46 pm

When I do not think about it, my body seems to do fine. The second I become conscious of my movements, I can trip over my own shadow.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

TV133
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2023, 7:13 am

Yea I do. I have bad motor skills. Can't skatebaord, ride a bike, stand on metro without holding on to something.
My 2 brothers skateboard but not me. I walk with them and their friends when they go skating. Also I can't sit on walls or climb things like fences and trees. So I have been in situations of sitting below everyone else sitting on top of stuff.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 7:18 am

It would bother my father because he was an all sport athlete in High School and I had trouble learning to do the basics like catching and throwing a ball. But I could be very good if I stuck with it. I learned to hit softballs. I had a weird off balance swing but sort of learned to play golf. I was very good at reading greens and putting.

As an older adult I learned a much better goif swing and have become pretty good at!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 7:25 am

TV133 wrote:
Yea I do. I have bad motor skills. Can't skatebaord, ride a bike, stand on metro without holding on to something.
My 2 brothers skateboard but not me. I walk with them and their friends when they go skating. Also I can't sit on walls or climb things like fences and trees. So I have been in situations of sitting below everyone else sitting on top of stuff.

Riding a bike needs a bit of speed to let the bikes central fugal force keep you upright. One of the mistakes beginners make is going slow. Learn on grass with a slight downhill slope.

I am no good at skateboards either! Even worse at roller skates! Was bought a pair when young and never could get the hang of them! They were adjustable so even when I was about 14 and I tried them I was all over the place!

Bicycles I percervered with as I was absolutely determined to ride them! Took from ths age of around four to the age of seven to finally master it. I took my stabilizers off myself on many occasions to try! Had many falls before I got the feel of it.
Actually, take the pedals off and put the seat down and one can scoot the bike to begin with. Remember that the left hand pedal has a reversed thread which turns the other way.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 8:23 am

Sure it's seems common.
The source is either clumsiness (likely motor learning disabilities), poor sense of body positioning or poor sense of space (likely processing disorders), or in some cases, whatever source of inattention (processing space limitation, overwhelmed, whichever).

It's a common trait that doesn't seem to apply to me. The only reason why I'm late at learning to move around wheels was solely because I've never rode one until at that point.

For now; I've been riding a bike to go around; and to go to work with for at least over a year now.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 9:28 am

I have very poor balance.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 3:42 pm

My own medical adventures in the last few years have brought the following tidbits to my attention:
Loss of balance is a symptom of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), a Parkinsonian disease
PSP has a distinctive "hummingbird" feature in MRIs, where the midbrain is atrophied

My brain MRI shows the PSP "hummingbird" but I do not have PSP. The prevailing theory is that the "hummingbird" might also be associated with Autism...which I do have.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 4:07 pm

I can't ride a bicycle. I also struggle to balance on one leg. Outside of balanceing: one of the most played sports at my school was rounders (similar to baseball.) I never once managed to hit the ball with the bat in more than 10 years of trying.

Is there some overlap between autism and dyspraxia? I have a IRL friend whose diagnosis is "dyspraxia," but in some ways she seems more autistic than I do.