Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:00 pm

NorthPark wrote:

How did the fellow aspies felt when you shot a gun for the first time?

Pretty F'in good since I read every gun magazine and book I could get my hands on since I was 8 or 9 (this was pre-internet :P ). I had pellet guns from around the age of 10. Turned 18 and bought a 12 gauge and HK USP 9mm, bought a case of 9mm and a case of shells and off too the range. I have literally put over 100,000 rounds through the USP and it still puts the entire magazine in one hole at 25m.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

NorthPark wrote:

Fun. I really liked the concentration involved, and I also liked a couple of sensory aspects of it; the smell of burnt gunpowder [and its smokey haze] and the sound of the gunshots.

It was a club's Ruger 22/45 .22LR when I was 17 (14 years ago). From then, it became my hobby (with archery taking up several years as one too. Archery and firearms are the same thing to me though).

I bought my first handgun when I turned 18, which was a CZ-100B .40 Cal, and my dad bought me a rifle at the same time (CZ 452 .22LR).

Nowadays, I only shoot rifles and shotguns on a rural property, as you have to go to a shooting range to use handguns in my country.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 4:33 am

I own guns but hate actually shooting them. It's more about having them as a technical sample to take apart and learn from than because I like mechanical things. I don't like the actual sensation of shooting as it's very loud and I am afraid of what could happen if there is a malfunction. However, I feel I need to have them around as a contingency plan in case there is ever an asteroid collision, Carrington Event like solar storm or world wide economic collapse. Much like my radiation detecting equipment, it's not good for much but it's nice to know it's there if the need ever arises.

As for suicidal thoughts, I have them from time to time. However, I would not choose to end my life with a gun. It's too messy and would deny my family the chance to have an open casket funeral.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:46 am

NorthPark wrote:
I personally say..YES :) AS is not (always) synonymous with ...let's say Schizophrenia, suicidal thoughts and such. I would personally own an AR15 or a shotgun because I think hunting is a little fun, so long as I don't kill too many animals that hunting, and the fun that come with it, gets killed to extinction and of course to scare off burglars.

Why or why not does the two mix?

I was raised in a family where the only meat we ate was what we killed. Most people I know (who don't even know I'm an aspie) say they wouldn't feel safe letting "one of those psycho Columbine kids" own firearms. People, especially on You Tube, are always making remarks about us becoming serial killers or pedophiles, so as long as these antediluvian views still exist, there will be a belief that we aren't mentally sound and cannot/should not own firearms.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:50 am

Rascal77s wrote:
NorthPark wrote:

Pretty F'in good since I read every gun magazine and book I could get my hands on since I was 8 or 9 (this was pre-internet :P ). I had pellet guns from around the age of 10. Turned 18 and bought a 12 gauge and HK USP 9mm, bought a case of 9mm and a case of shells and off too the range. I have literally put over 100,000 rounds through the USP and it still puts the entire magazine in one hole at 25m.

The first time was at Knob Creek... I fired the M2 and I must agree with you: it is f-ing great! I'm not sure any NT can quite feel that same way, especially because of the way I processed the sensory input :-D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 6:05 am

Reading a little about people with Aspergers joining the army. Applicants to the US army are assessed on a case by case basis.

However, the Armed Forces of the United States adhere to an "almost" inflexible regulation known as the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and that code does not recognize the adequate capability of prospective aspirants who are NOT of perfectly sound mind, nor does it recognize the confidentiality of doctor-patient relationships; Asperger's disorder is officially considered a mental disorder according to DSMIV (soon to be HFA in DSMV).

Now what has this to do with Aspergers and guns? It raises the question as to whether the US government has concerns over people with Aspergers having the capacity to use weapons in a combat situation?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 7:16 am

kBillingsley wrote:
Guns are for people without the skill or cunning to use a melee weapon. I want to see the light go out of the eyes of my victim.

Roll your attack. If you hit, roll your damage. Is your melee weapon a magic weapon? If so, don't forget to add that bonus. Ah, D&D. Good times ;-)

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

Yes and no. I own several and I would like to get my conceal carry permit. One small problem: I about near have a meltdown when I go to the firing ragin. I really can't stand to be there. To loud, too many people, too much going on. Horrible.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

I do in fact own a small caliber (.22) rifle that I haven't shot in many years. My opinion on firearms is well summed up by a bumper sticker saying: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Why would having AS deter someone from using a firearm in a responsible manner? Having AS does not deem us incompetent or mentally unstable to the point of not using firearms.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:20 pm

I refuse to own a gun. I would rather own a tranquilizer if that were allowed. I guess if I lived in a unsafe area and couldn't afford to live ina safe area, then I might get a gun but then i would be risking killing an innocent person or my own kids killing themselves with it or someone else and risking my own life. That is why I don't ever want to own a gun and I am afraid I would get to it in time or even load it in time if someone is trying to kill me so what be the point in having a gun?

But I have shot guns in video games. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
NorthPark wrote:

Wow!

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

slave wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
NorthPark wrote:

Wow!

Wow what?

Azereiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

I love firearms, though I don't think I would have anything beyond a reliable self defense revolver. Or three.
One to carry and two in different parts of my home, so I'm never really far from defending myself.

I support firearms rights, and I support entertainment rights.
I do not, however, support unjustified violence.

I think I might end up with .50 handguns, solely because of the terror factor when staring downbarrel.
A 9mm you might have to shoot, but a .50 will probably scare off people that can still be reasoned with.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:04 pm

Azereiah wrote:
I love firearms, though I don't think I would have anything beyond a reliable self defense revolver. Or three.
One to carry and two in different parts of my home, so I'm never really far from defending myself.

I support firearms rights, and I support entertainment rights.
I do not, however, support unjustified violence.

I think I might end up with .50 handguns, solely because of the terror factor when staring downbarrel.
A 9mm you might have to shoot, but a .50 will probably scare off people that can still be reasoned with.

Why not just go all the way and get a 50 BMG revolver? Your arms detaching from your body and flying off 50 ft in 2 directions should terrorize people sufficiently.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm

I don't own any guns, but I don't mind them, either. I've even shot my dad's 45 and 22. :)

Just as long as I am around people who are experienced with guns, I generally approve. :thumright:

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 4:39 pm

Azereiah wrote:

In fact, firearms are one of my special interests LOL :twisted:

MBTI- ISTP