Poll ended at 25 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:56 pm

Can't belive this thread is back on its feet....

Well the reason I originally started the thread was to see peoples opinions about a neuro deviant (and of course, sane) individual packing heat and so far it's looking good. Mom thinks no one that isnt normal should not be near one. Actually no one but the government should,

Mom thinks if I'm near a gun, I would shoot off people randomly and for no reason...wdf????

Well, I seen other gun threads are too old, so if you got anything you wanna add...blast it away FOLKS :lol:

and HK416 N, I was gonna say your avatar is an AK series rifles but then I saw the STANAG Mags attached to it.

PS I can't wait to leave PRK

MBTI- ISTP

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:12 am

NorthPark wrote:
Can't belive this thread is back on its feet....

Well the reason I originally started the thread was to see peoples opinions about a neuro deviant (and of course, sane) individual packing heat and so far it's looking good. Mom thinks no one that isnt normal should not be near one. Actually no one but the government should,

Mom thinks if I'm near a gun, I would shoot off people randomly and for no reason...wdf????

Well, I seen other gun threads are too old, so if you got anything you wanna add...blast it away FOLKS :lol:

and HK416 N, I was gonna say your avatar is an AK series rifles but then I saw the STANAG Mags attached to it.

PS I can't wait to leave PRK

Holy crap! Your mom is big brother! 8O

evil_expresso
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2012, 12:26 am

If I owned a gun, I'd probably end up hurting myself or others. I am not schizophrenic, depressed or bi polar, but I am rather impulsive due to ADHD.

AS quotient: Scored 32 and above, multiple times. I have been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD in the past, but those could simply be stereotypic traits related to Asperger's.

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 2:06 am

NorthPark wrote:

That's exactly why I don't own a gun, except in my case it wouldn't be random and there'd be an admittedly bad reason. I can have poor impulse control when I'm angry. But I do like to go shooting sometimes, my dad is a gun nut so I tag along to the shooting range occasionally. I'm kind of terrified of the things (guns), so target practice is my version of an extreme sport, like sky diving.

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2012, 3:59 am

why would you want a gun they are large noisy and illegal (in my country).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:07 am

Whilst it's good for people to think that their impulse issues should keep them away from firearms (weapons), hear this:

Impulse control issues don't care what you have in your hand when the emotions run high. Grabbing the nearest hard object and hitting someone over the head is just as dead as a bullet in the heart. Seen this happen in the news more times than I can count (something similar with a relative too).

Best to get treatment or at least speak with someone about such and get their opinion on why you are like this or that, before it's too late and you're another statistic with negative connotations (you can't come back from some things).

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 4:10 am

Dillogic wrote:
Whilst it's good for people to think that their impulse issues should keep them away from firearms (weapons), hear this:

Impulse control issues don't care what you have in your hand when the emotions run high. Grabbing the nearest hard object and hitting someone over the head is just as dead as a bullet in the heart. Seen this happen in the news more times than I can count (something similar with a relative too).

True, but it's a heck of a lot harder to kill someone in a neighboring car with an old McDonald's bag

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:15 am

Yeah, you couldn't put a round through the window, but you could put your hood through the side of a neighboring car; the story ends the same way. You could also easily block the other car and use a tire iron or any other hard object. Hell, you can kill someone with a single decent punch (after blocking the car and dragging the victim out of the car).

It's the mind that does these things, all else is but an extension of its will.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:07 am

darkfuji wrote:

Why would one want anything?

I highly doubt they're illegal where you live; I'm sure there's restrictions though (everything that's fun is restricted to some extent).

Large? Not really.
Noisy? Yes, and I can see where that could affect someone with problems with loud noises (under hearing protection). Though for basic target shooting (small game hunting too), .22LR chambered firearms aren't that noisy with muffs on. For shotguns, .410 gauge isn't too bad in regards to noise for target shooting (small game too).

Some people just like things that others don't. I loathe cars, and I'd never own one, but I don't care if you do or don't.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:07 am

darkfuji wrote:

That would describe my car as well.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2012, 7:45 am

I have been tempted a few times to buy a hand gun. Although, I don't know why because I've always hated any type of gun. However, if I managed to get over that fear/hatred and buy one anyways...i'm almost certain that I would misuse it because when I do manage to get irritated enough in a situation...well, let's say owning a gun wouldn't be good for me.

For example, I have some really annoying/noisey neighbors. If I owned a gun, I might have at least threatened them with it last night at 11pm when they had company over with small children and they were doing there visiting on THERE BACK PORCH WHICH FACES OUR BACK DOOR WHICH MIGHT HAS WELL BE IN OUR LIVING ROOM! They were so loud and I was so angry! I don't understand why people don't obey the laws about noise ordinances.

I would most likely end up in prison due to shooting noisey neighbors...this is almost guaranteed.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:53 am

I find it interesting that we have general noise laws, are required to put sound suppressors on our cars and other machinery, have OSHA regulations about noise in the work place but they make you jump through hoops to put a sound suppressor on your firearm. We should be protecting our hearing and be polite to our neighbors. I don't see any reason why guns should be noisy.

(not a response to zombiegirl2010, just happened to post at the same time and both be talking about noise laws)

Last edited by jonny23 on 15 May 2012, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2012, 7:54 am

jonny23 wrote:
I find it interesting that we have general noise laws, are required to put sound suppressors on our cars and other machinery, have OSHA regulations about noise in the work place but they make you jump through hoops to put a sound suppressor on your firearm. We should be protecting our hearing and be polite to our neighbors. I don't see any reason why guns should be noisy.

Your premise is solid.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:42 pm

Dox47 wrote:
[img][800:147]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dox47/MyRifle.jpg[/img]

I built this rifle from an action blank, a barrel blank and a chunk of wood. It's chambered in .22-250 on a Montana action, and the unusual stock design with Schnabel forend, shoehorn buttplate and pewter inlays is of my own devising. My instructors at gunsmithing school were rather bemused, as they'd wanted me to build a standard American sporter like everyone else, but in the end event they had to admit that it came out well. My bench even became a bit of a tour stop when they were bringing prospective students through, since no one else was really working on anything as unique at the time.

The furniture is excellent.
I am impressed.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

Finally shoot some weapons after a long while. It was a .22 LR because it's cheap, and I haven't shot a weapon since I was 10 so I want to be "retrained".

They looked something like this (we didn't took pictures)

[img][800:756]http://www.reviewsofthings.com/images-smith-wesson/revolver-smith-wesson-revolver-model-617-22lr-10shot.JPG[/img]

How did the fellow aspies felt when you shot a gun for the first time?

MBTI- ISTP

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:00 pm

NorthPark wrote:

How did the fellow aspies felt when you shot a gun for the first time?

Pretty F'in good since I read every gun magazine and book I could get my hands on since I was 8 or 9 (this was pre-internet :P ). I had pellet guns from around the age of 10. Turned 18 and bought a 12 gauge and HK USP 9mm, bought a case of 9mm and a case of shells and off too the range. I have literally put over 100,000 rounds through the USP and it still puts the entire magazine in one hole at 25m.