Poll ended at 25 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

I personally say..YES :) AS is not (always) synonymous with ...let's say Schizophrenia, suicidal thoughts and such. I would personally own an AR15 or a shotgun because I think hunting is a little fun, so long as I don't kill too many animals that hunting, and the fun that come with it, gets killed to extinction and of course to scare off burglars.

Why or why not does the two mix?

MBTI- ISTP

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

Absolutely yes. Obviously the whole gun pro or anti thing is a political movement, so it probably will cause ill will among some of us. But just think for a second: How many people are killed by automobiles used incorrectly? People die in the tens of thousands every year due to deliberate car attacks or by accident, which is a tiny fraction of the number of murders or accidental deaths or injuries from gun owners. Automobiles are a huge chunk of the economy, so they are not regulated much at all. Guns are not, and they are a favorite target of special interest political groups to be used as a tool to win elections.

I own plenty of guns of all types, and I was taught how to respect and hold a loaded handgun at age THREE. Therefore, I never had any accidents, and I believe it should be the same for all people who wish to handle and own firearms.

Charles

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

I'd say like 90% of the people on gun forums are Aspies, so yeah, probably.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

I think that a AR-15 is a bit over the top for hunting, it is jolly close to the M-16 which the US army have used for years as the standard army rifle. The AR-15 has too short a barrel for long distance accurate shooting. If I wanted to shoot something at a great distance I would typically choose a 7.62 mm or .308 bolt action rifle with a heavy barrel to reduce the recoil.

The problem with a self loader is that the barrel will always be that bit short than the barrel of a bolt action can be for the same overall length of the gun. The idea of a 20 inch barrel is not that good as far as I am concerned. A Lee-Enfield has five inchs more where it counts.

If you are a serious deer hunter then you would use one or two shoots per deer, I think that the idea of a person popping off with a full auto or semi-auto 5.56 mm rifle is not a good idea. I worry about the number of strays which might fly through the air and strike down members of the public. I am not sure if the M-16 is legal for deer hunting.

I have had some experience with firearms but I have not fired a shot in years, I do not have the motivation required to go target shooting and I think it is cheaper to buy my meat from the supermarket rather than hunt for food.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

I own a handgun.
I'm not sure what AS has to do with it.

to his Interest."

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I think that a AR-15 is a bit over the top for hunting,

Perfect for fighting off the Redcoats / Commies / Gummint (delete as applicable) though!

The year is still young.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

I have an intense fear of guns, so I wouldn't own one.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

The AR-15/M-16 and the .223/5.56mm round are designed to kill people, not animals.

You CAN hunt deer with a shotgun and 12-gauge slugs, but there are better weapons to put Bambi on the table. If I didn't have a gun dedicated just to hunting, I'd go with a .308/7.62mm instead.

Good Hunting!

Rob

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

I'd love to own a gun. It would make me feel a little bit safer knowing that if someone breaks into my home I have a way to defend myself. Without a gun I'm weak and completely defenseless.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

S o I guess a CA Legal ( thanks to you know who) PTR 91 is better for hunting. Is a domestic clone of the HK G3

But the (also CA Legal :evil:) AR15 can still be used to fend off well armed/armored and or long distance burglars and also it is more accurate than the AK47

MBTI- ISTP

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 11:52 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I think it is cheaper to buy my meat from the supermarket rather than hunt for food.

Well, true, but it is better for health to seek your meat in the woods, provided that the animal isn't sick. I'm a beef fanatic so venison(deer meat) is a good alternative because I don't want cow disease. If I see cattle in the wild ( which I'll probably won't), You just need to either take out the "wild taste", or just cook it and eat it.

But for that to happen, I need a few more years of age, car, and a place to live on my own or with a roommate, and get away from the city of a million folks for a while, not to mention a rifle (preferably semi-auto) , munitions and a hunting license. Then I can hunt myself my first piece of game! :twisted:

MBTI- ISTP

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Dec 2011, 12:06 am

I have owned a firearm, although I do not currently and have no plans to do so in the future.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:38 am

I answered NO because I personally would not own a gun, as the question asks. Even with earplugs a handgun is too much for me. I have bad sensory issues. I prefer my empty fists and swift sprints for self defense, and I like to eat fish more than ungulates anyway.

I don't think AS people shouldn't necessarily own guns though. I'd dare to say some shouldn't, but some NT people shouldn't own guns either imo.

GaryOak
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2011, 2:50 am

I own a 1878 Trapdoor springfield rifle and I plan on getting a CCW along when I am 21. The paradox of owning one is that even though you pray you never have to use a gun you have to spend a lot of time practicing to do well in a bad situation.

My reasoning is that the only unfair fight is a fight you don't win, and when I plan on going into a dangerous line of work and dealing with rather dangerous people, I don't want to be defenseless.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:54 am

I seem to be able to shoot them reasonably straight enough; I don't think any motor difficulty that's inherent to an ASD will make them unsuitable to use. It might actually be good for a person with AS who sucks at most sports, to see themselves putting lead on target. Actually, it makes putting something on target too easy for me.

It's one of my interests, though it's not there now.

To add, archery would be good for the same reason for the person with AS who may get down due to being bad at most sports.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:14 pm

according to Homer Simpson if we didn't have guns to protect ourselves the King of England could just walk into your house anytime and start pushing you around-Homer is a wise man.