Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

Galactica reboot fans will already be familiar with the plot...

Quote:
The Galactica discovers the abandoned Cylon Basestar and learns that the Cylons have been infected by a virus they acquired from a beacon floating in space. The team returns to Galactica with some of the surviving but very ill Cylons. Dr. Cottle determines that humans are immune to the virus but Athena has to stay in quarantine. Cottle also determines that the virus is a fairly simple form of encephalitis for which he can easily create a vaccine. Apollo argues in favor of using the virus to destroy the Cylon race once and for all while Helo argues that to do so is a crime against humanity. In questioning one of the Cylons, they also learn that Baltar is alive and has given the Cylons his navigation charts. Meanwhile, Gaius Baltar's deception is discovered and the Cylons are prepared to dispose of him, but not before they get as much information as possible from him about the virus.

I've bolded the important parts. Here are a few more important bits:

At this point in the story humanity consists of 41,420 survivors of a Cylon genocide of humanity that killed 40 billion people.

The leaders of humanity, Admiral Adama (reluctantly) and President Roslin(enthusiastically), decide to weaponize the virus and use it to commit genocide against the Cylons, who ARE currently pursuing humanity with the intent of finishing their own genocidal plan.

Ultimately, Helo sabotages the attack and thwarts humanity's one chance at sure security.

Adama, relieved that the attack has failed (for personal moral reasons) protects Helo from President Roslin who is furious at this act of treason, but, needing the support of the military, she lets the matter drop.

I'm not a fan of genocide, but if there was ever a justifiable case for it, this is it...

I've always hated this episode because I felt the writers compromised the show's usual commitment to ugly reality in favor of moral finger-wagging here.

So, am I wrong?

Is this or is this not a case where genocide could be justified?