Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 8:02 am

If I had it my way, I'd have my whole MP3 collection converted into Vinyls. Then I'd be proper Old-Skool. 8)

The crackle gives it a retro edge, whereas a quality MP3 (either converted from FLAC, AIFF, OGG) at 320kbps is like listening to the original master recording, as it's that crisp.

I'm torn between the two to be honest.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 10:44 pm

Alternative wrote:
If I had it my way, I'd have my whole MP3 collection converted into Vinyls. Then I'd be proper Old-Skool. 8) The crackle gives it a retro edge, whereas a quality MP3 (either converted from FLAC, AIFF, OGG) at 320kbps is like listening to the original master recording, as it's that crisp. I'm torn between the two to be honest.

if you're running wavelab or cubase, there is a steinberg direct-x plug in called "the grungelizer" which will simplify this task for you, you just input the digital audio and it comes out derezzed into a quasi-LP phonographic analog sound, complete with rumble, clicks and crackle, groove roar and hiss, all generated from actual typical LP surface noise samples. izotope also makes a similar plug in that is a bit more complicated. you could get an even more complete quasi-analog phonographic effect, if you shop around for a used carver CD player with the "digital time lens" [really a very slow-rate analog treble filter over the top 5 audible frequency decades] feature. there were a few other 80s-era CD players with a similar feature. or short of that, shop around for some 60s-early 70s-era stereo speakers, such as some old advents or such- they will make everything sound a bit more vinylish. to each his own. 8)

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 5:21 pm

I wouldn't mind vinyl if it werent for the fact that 90% of what I listen to doesn't get produced on vinyl at all except for maybe a limited issue of like 50 copies. Far more cost efficient to go with MP3, although I would prefer a CD to an MP3 file and a vinyl to both, especially if I am using my music production/monitoring headphones.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

I will admit to having a slight fondness/attachment to my old vinyl albums that I actually bought in the 70's but it's purely nostalgic. I much prefer the clean sound of a digital recording. I much prefer music on my computer or mp3 that I can access with a simple click, because vinyl albums are heavy, they scratch, warp, chip, break and peel. The inevitable distortion is a distraction and an annoyance.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm

unduki wrote:
I will admit to having a slight fondness/attachment to my old vinyl albums that I actually bought in the 70's but it's purely nostalgic. I much prefer the clean sound of a digital recording. I much prefer music on my computer or mp3 that I can access with a simple click, because vinyl albums are heavy, they scratch, warp, chip, break and peel. The inevitable distortion is a distraction and an annoyance.

the audio restoration of old vinyl/shellac [for transcription/archiving onto a digital format] is an artform.

Lampost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2012, 11:54 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Absolutely. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING digital can match the dynamics, especially in the lower ranges (bass), of a vinyl recording. Vinyl, unfortunately, takes a lot of work to maintain, and even if you do everything possible, you can't undo what the stylus does to it. Every time you play vinyl, microscopic peelings come off. And no matter what you do, dust will get on it, and the diamond will grind it in.

If you can put up with that, or listen to music that's loud enough to get over the crackle, there's no matching the crisp bass if you can manage to isolate your turntable from feedback. Of course you can't beat the artwork either. There's something very different about being able to hold it in your hands. Cassette and CD cases, or digital imagery on the computer just isn't the same at all.

False. As an Electrical Engineer who specializes in Signal Processing and Audio Engineering, let me explain.

Analog audio formats actually have a limited dynamic range. The digital audio medium has the potential to have an amazing dynamic range but modern production and mastering techniques such as brickwall-limiting and compression completely drain the feel out of music. THAT is the number one reason why many people prefer vinyl over CDs or digital audio files.

A properly mastered digital audio file that has been sampled at 24-bits/96kHz will outperform an analog audio medium in both frequency response and distortion specifications. Even to most people, 16-bits/44.1kHz is completely transparent.

It all depends on the recording, mixing, and mastering techniques applied.

Lampost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

IDontGetIt wrote:
Mp3's compression leaves music sounding either dull and flat at low volume, or the source of a wall of noise headache at loud volume. It has to be a CD or record player sending an undiluted signal to a sizeable amp, driving a pair of large speakers that can properly get those air molecules moving.

This is a misconception. MP3's use audio data compression. That does not affect the perceived dynamic range of the transcoded audio file. What you're experiencing is dynamic range compression side-effects such as your headaches or feeling that the music sounds dull and lifeless.