Found this site through the New York Times...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

Hello.

I am a 26 year old male who has been diagnosed twice previously with ADHD primarily inattentive type. I was diagnosed in 3rd grade in 1993, and in 8th grade in 1999. due to seeming arbitrariness, neither of those diagnosis carry over to an automatic adult diagnosis even though 60% or more of children diagnosed with the disorder carry it into adulthood.

I've never been good at making friends, I don't understand subtlety in conversation, I don't like to have my face touched, I'm extremely phobic about other people touching my plate or putting food on it but I will pick food up off the table and eat it if it falls off my plate. I memorize details about popculture and history and will endlessly recite them to anyone I typically mistakenly think is interested in hearing them. I never thought I had anything other than ADHD until recently. Several people have accused me of being "an aspie" upon first meeting me. I'd never really heard anything about this condition until these people began using it in relation to me. I began to do research into the subject and thats how I came across the NYtimes article which sent me here.

The more research I've done the more I've recognized that I have many of these symptoms and clearly need to have more testing done. But my current financial situation and rural environment prohibit me from being able to easily find a doctor who will do the examinations or being able to pay for them. My state, Georgia, has a ludicrously underfunded state mental health service called Advantage, who would do the testing if I was under the age of 18 but will not do it as an adult. I had tried to go through the University of Georgia but they put me on an 8 month minimum waiting list and I have yet to hear back from them.

I am currently on a waiting list through my university to have a new testing battery done. They clearly felt I had enough of an issue through my written examination and previous documentation to put me forward for new testing, but they aren't concerned enough about it to do it in a timely manner. They also refuse to work with me at all as far as accommodations are concerned. I do not drive, yet they won't send the examiner out to my satellite campus, and are instead insisting that I make the hour long trip into downtown Atlanta to have the testing done.

If there is anyone who has dealt with these problems in this area who could give me any advice on any of these things I would greatly appreciate it.

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2011, 9:45 pm

I found this site through the Times article as well; it changed my life- for the better. It's hard though now, because I feel like I have to keep a secret, but I can be more forgiving with myself now.

I don't have a desire to seek a real diagnosis; it would only hurt me, especially with health insurance and employers

I would have been able to be easily diagnosed with Asperger's as a child, but I'm very thankful that my parents just thought I was quirky and loved my eccentricities..I've learned to mask many of them...adults are just as cruel as children

*I'm misophonic, especially for oral noises. Snapping gum noises,noisy chewing, non-rhythmic loud noises by a perfect stranger or machine makes me want to violently destroy them

*I can only truly enjoy being hugged or touched by 3 people; my partner (I also suspect he might be an aspie) and my parents. If anyone else tries to hug me, I seize up and hesitate before giving them a very stiff, forced hug. I never initiate hugs other than with the aforementioned 3 people

*I tend to be a hermit when I'm not at work; I have very few friends other than my partner, who is my best friend, and 2 other close friends. I've become fairly socially adept since high school, but it isn't natural at all. I bolt out of work as fast as I can because it's like my context for interactions crumbles and I'm left with my awkwardness. I don't like to keep my mask on for more than is necessary. I've hurt some people doing this, but I can't help it much without making myself very uncomfortable

*I have always identified more with animals than most people; as a result, I don't eat them; instead, I love them and care for them and they care for me

*Straight from Temple Grandin...I think in pictures...cannot learn skills effectively reading or hearing, must see them and then I have it down... I'm a great mimic which is what has allowed me to function great in a work environment

*I have tics... I crack my right wrist/knuckles/shoulder and neck repeatedly especially when I'm perturbed/stressed

*I have to force myself to make eye contact ...otherwise I just cannot do it; it makes me sweat

*I have to be careful I don't ramble on about my interests, especially when they are the nuances of dwarf shrimp reproduction or the hexaxial method of axis determination in 12-lead EKGs... people just don't care and I realize this so I usually just keep quiet most of the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Please stop yelling at me; I know you asked for mashed potatoes, but that sound you heard? That was my other patient going into cardiac arrest."

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 10:25 pm

hello to rabbittss and thegatekeeper :)

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2011, 11:19 pm

At least i'm not alone with what you both described. It's good to see you both here, and I also came here via the NYTimes article too. Welcome and enjoy yourselves here! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

Hey, welcome everyone. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran