Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2006, 9:37 am

I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one here who spends many late nights infront of a computer screen, feeling rather depressed and bored with the world.

Who else does?
What makes you depressed?
What do you do about it (the same night)?

For me the depression is largely from my difficulty finding a girlfriend, boredom, and the drudgery of school/uni work.

I've found several ways of coping, or at least dulling the pain:
- The main one is finding distractions on the net (ie downloading random movies/mp3s etc)
- Sometimes I do excessive amounts of pushups. Firstly, because it takes your mind of things, so long as you do enough. Secondly, because although I don't care about strength, it's something I can improve there and then - unlike lonelyness which takes planning and time. Perhaps the endorphins it releases helps too.
- On a few occasions I have done delibrately crazy things such as writing "6" on a tile floor in terpentine, and trying to light it on fire, or walking around the block at 2am in the morning (safe neighbourhood). This is because (a) it's distracting, (b) it's less dull and (c) because I don't have anything productive solutions to life's problems at 2am.

Tell your story.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

15 Oct 2006, 9:46 am

Yeah I'm on prozac + wellbutrin and do not feel depressed but I feel extreme boredom
at times. I sleep/nap alot. Yeah physical activity is great for boredom. I been walking
my 3 big outside dogs each night for atleast an hour then ride my bike for an hour(I
skip the bike ride often).

I do not have a job , school , or friends so I have enough free time to be extremely bored. Same time I have extreme inattentive ADD and can not stay focused on anything.
Without daydreaming about something else.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 10:45 am

Try taking 25 mg. diphenhydramine (antihistamine) at 9 pm every night for 10 nights.

- Emerson

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:01 am

MrMark wrote:
Try taking 25 mg. diphenhydramine (antihistamine) at 9 pm every night for 10 nights.

I remember taking antihistamine for sleep years ago they work good for a few days then
they put me in a semi-sleep condition that is nightmarish where I can not quite sleep but
at the same time can not escape the strange side effect of the anti-histamine. I do
have a massive large bottle of it though 1000 capsule 50 mg each!

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:13 am

Antihistamines are bad, if they're not very strong, and then you will get an hangover of drowsiness most of the next day. Benzodiazepines are better but harder to get.

'Tis munny in my purse.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:19 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
I remember taking antihistamine for sleep years ago they work good for a few days then they put me in a semi-sleep condition that is nightmarish where I can not quite sleep but at the same time can not escape the strange side effect of the anti-histamine. I do have a massive large bottle of it though 1000 capsule 50 mg each!

50 mg. will make you sleep but leave you feeling drugged the next day.

- Emerson

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:30 am

I used to do all my study and music-work in the wee hours of the morning, but lately I've found if I over work myself during the day, to the point that I can't really think much anymore, I can just chill in the late hours without feeling depressed and such..

I thought I was the only person on the planet that would love running around at 2 in the morning, it can be a beautiful thing huh :)

Sometimes though I find creative outlets are the best release at this time, meaning if you've done nothing during the day, you'll feel miserable at night because the thoughts build up, so if you've had a slack day, create something or write something until you can't possibly do any more any more. If you've had a very productive day, maybe watching some cartoons, hanging out with someone, or if you're lucky having some sex will satisfy.

Another solution of mine was to read, read until I couldn't possibly stay awake any more and I pass out.

Oh and post strange opinions on here, I love doing that in the late hours :)

Sometimes though (I don't know how common this is) if I don't create something I CAN NOT relax and it feels like my brain will not let me rest, so I simply get on with whatever project I'm working on till I can't possibly handle it..

So yeh in conclusion my solution came through over-doing it in various ways.. Don't know how healthy that is for all of us though.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:40 am

Also, consider late-night television. Works for me. Everytime.

- Emerson

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:48 am

MrMark wrote:
Also, consider late-night television. Works for me. Everytime.

The problem is if this guy is like me he has ADHD and he may have had a black box
allow him to get 500+ stations like me and still feel nothing on TV worth watching.

Yeah boring reading will put you to sleep. I did that in college reading my cell biology
book. Many a hundred time reading medline medical study abstracts.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:32 pm

When I'm desperate...children's liquid Benadryl...you can cut the dosage easily so you don't get that hung-over effect in the morning...and it comes in Bubble gum flavor.

8O

...then there's always the Home Shopping Channel.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:39 pm

When I get sick, I usually take a dose of TheraFlu Nighttime (the one you mix in a cup of hot water) with a dose of Robitussin. Once they both kick in, I get a buzz similar to Vicodin. Maybe it's the way these two medicines interact, I don't know. But one thing for sure: falling asleep under that buzz is pure bliss.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:19 pm

My feelings of depression are different them my feeling of "restless boredom and loneliness"..so they have different solutions.Usually my depression is a circular negative thinking...for this I can try and journal possible solutions to "things" that are depressing me.....when its something that I cant change,like "mans inhumanity to man"...the only solution is to try and distract myself with an art project,book,long late night walks,writing poetry.

I dont get the "restless boredom and loneliness" thing anymore....Somehow I out grew the boredom part and I am in a relationship that keeps me from the worse loneliness..But it was very bad in my teens and twenties and led me to do some really dangerous and impulsive things.I use to walk around my college town and "crash parties".I would just walk into any house where there seemed to be people "partying".I think because I was female and not to ugly,most people seemed ok with me doing this.I would also "ease drop" on people talking about after bar parties and either go there on my own or ask strangers if I could get a ride.I could only do this with "chemical courage" and out of desperation.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:46 pm

it depends on whats going on in my life. I have been doing better resently, but i have defenantly had many of those nights.

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2006, 3:37 pm

I always have time making myself sleep. I've found that reading before bed helps a lot. Also, if I need a little extra help, I take some Melatonin. You can get a bottle of it just about anywhere (grocery stores, pharmacies). It REALLY works in helping you sleep. I also have a prescription of Ambien if it gets really bad (you cannot stay up if you take ambien, no matter how tough you are).

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 4:20 pm

jread wrote:
I always have time making myself sleep. I've found that reading before bed helps a lot. Also, if I need a little extra help, I take some Melatonin. You can get a bottle of it just about anywhere (grocery stores, pharmacies). It REALLY works in helping you sleep. I also have a prescription of Ambien if it gets really bad (you cannot stay up if you take ambien, no matter how tough you are).

I considered this "melatonin" but read that it makes depression,especialy season depression,worse.Have you had any problems with this?I was affraid to even try it because depression is such an issue for me.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 4:39 pm

What depresses me? Oh God...

All the injustices in this world

All the stupidity and short-sightedness

All of the cruelty, hatred and pain

All the things I wish I'd done

All the things I wish I hadn't done

All the times when I've upset people I really care for, and the look in their eyes..

My own lack of motivation to do anything constructive to change these things

The parting words of girlfriends I loved, and the fact that they're with others now

The fact that modern life is a superficial sham

The death of heroism: the lack of anything profound or epic

The lack of choices

The feeling that there should be something more

The feeling that whatever I do, it still won't make me happy.

The fact that I am a failure and will achieve little before I die

Normally I comfort eat or get very, very drunk. If this doesn't work I phone up my friends and bore them with my tales of woe. If that doesn't work I cut my arms, and if that doesn't work I take time off work, take myself to the Doctors for some pills that make me feel like death, take up smoking again, and sit on my window ledge and contemplate jumping for... oooh, about 9 months. That's what happened last time, anyway. And unfortunately, I think I've just got to that stage again.