Anyone prefer stuffed animals/real animals to people?

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 5:31 am

There is a small dog and four cats in my family and they all seem to have me as one of their favorites, if not their favorite. The dog follows me around, sleeps on my bed and she is always protective of me on walks (she is small, cute and fluffy so it's rather funny at times). The eldest cat sleeps on my bed as well (purring most of the time) and he'll meow at me to pat him.

The other three cats come up to me first and ask for treats and pats, but they all sleep downstairs together as they're mother, daughter and son and only the son can tolerate the dog. They're all very sweet to me and they never judge me.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 6:14 am

I understand animals much better than I understand neurologically typical people. My mum always gets angry with me when I make friends with a dog I haven't met before (she's afraid I might get bit) but somehow I know which dogs it's ok to greet. I kind of sense the dog's aura or something and instantly know if it wants to make friends or not. I know this sounds crazy but that's how it is. As for stuffed animals: I've always used stuffed animals to help communicate emotionally charged things. Like when I was in psychoterapy as a child, I rather talked to one of the stuffed animals that the therapist had than to the therapist herself. I did this until I was about 18. Nowadays my two stuffed toy Totoros serve this function

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:14 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
I understand animals much better than I understand neurologically typical people. My mum always gets angry with me when I make friends with a dog I haven't met before (she's afraid I might get bit) but somehow I know which dogs it's ok to greet. I kind of sense the dog's aura or something and instantly know if it wants to make friends or not. I know this sounds crazy but that's how it is.

It doesn't sound crazy to me at all, I am and have always been the same way, often brought dogs (and cats) home at my parents and grandparents' houses, I mean they would just start following me home (often I would get home with dogs bigger then me too, for example at age 6 or so I got home with a dalmatian who had followed me home. Once I was walking my dog and another dog just came along and came home with us. I'd say it is true for the animals too, I mean for example once I was playing outside in the snow with another girl, and a dog came to me and wouldn't let her touch him, and then he followed me home, he didn't know either of us but somehow knew that I was the one who loved animals.

PurpleOctober
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

I have always felt way too close with stuffed toys and dolls. I like them better than people. I like my cats better than people, too. I'd rather snuggle my cat than be touched by a person. I also have what might be defined by society's norm as way too many stuffed toys for a 22 year old, and I collect American Girl dolls and Monster High dolls. Additionally I have a really bizarre tendency to "make friends" with toys in the store, especially when I'm sad. Usually it ends up that I take home my new friend. Haha. Though one time I made friends with a fancy cupcake. That ended really badly.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:42 am

Absolutely. I have a male tuxedo cat named Boots, and 2 female pink-eyed white rats, Punkin & Spice. Although Boots can get to be a handful at times, I still prefer the company of animals to people. Animals have always taken to me very well, and seem able to understand me better than people do. They don't criticize, insult, bully, or say mean things, either. :)

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 3:41 am

I have a thing for dogs. They are the product of nearly 10,000 years of human-forced evolution for(among other purposes) companionship and love.

If you ask me, there's no better human innovation.

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 8:45 am

I love my stuffed animals, and my real dog. I do love my boyfriend, but yeah, I mean I'd much rather have them than other people......sad isn't it?? =\

random_confusion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

I have a ton of stuffed animals and I have one that my mom gave me when she was still alive. My mom died when I was less than a year old and I'm 26 now. I still kind of pretend the stuffed animal is like my sister or something since I'm an only child. I had a counselor tell me I'd never have a friend as good as my stuffed animal, which is kind of depressing but it did make me start liking my stuffed animal "Better." I've had people tell me I liked my stuffed animal more than them and I didn't really think about it that much unless the person was being rude/overly demanding.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

I have a stuffed animal that I slept with until I was 10.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm

Nope, real people ftw. Well the ones that I love, anyway.

As much as I like plushies and pets, I've never bonded with them as closely as my family or my mate.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 07 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm

Animals are people to, they just aren't human.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

Other than my wife, I would rather have only dogs in the house. My wife understands me and loves me for exactly who and what I am, and sadly my experience with other people, is that they just aren't compatible with my life, and are a burden at times, even if they mean well. I have always had dogs to keep me company sleeping, and my wife has as well... So it's us and six chihuahuas together!

Charles

Decadeology
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2016, 2:13 pm

I don't think animals are more important than people, but I do find a lot of them easier to get along with. They don't have the crazy expectations of etiquette human beings have.

I'm not really that big into the animal rights movement though. I think animal cruelty is wrong and the meat industry should be much more humane than it is, but I don't have a problem with using animals for medical research if it saves lives. I don't see it as being any different from animals predating on each other for their survival to eat animals or use them to improve medicine, but I do admire people who have the willpower and compassion to be vegetarians.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 2:42 pm

Decadeology wrote:
I don't think animals are more important than people, but I do find a lot of them easier to get along with. They don't have the crazy expectations of etiquette human beings have.
I think their etiquette is easier to deal with, not so arbitrary. But animals all have their rules of social behaviour.

As for me, I prefer things to people. Things I grok. People are groknot. There are very few people I can deal with for any length of time and even then, it's tedious.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

guineapiggirl23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2018, 6:37 pm

This question pretty much applies to me, ever since I can remember I've had a connection with many animals, (real animals) than people. I was pretty much bullied thru elementary and middle school and was forced to be a recluse so I really feel distant with most people. I just don't feel like I belong with people sometimes. I think some of the experiences growing up in a dysfunctional family has something to do with it, and loosing my father at a young age.

I also have tons of stuffed animals and dolls, I don't know why but I really love my stuffed animals very much too.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

I love cats, as many people here know. I like to be in the company of people who love animals. I was on an Internet cat site and made a lot of friends there.