Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 7:44 am

Here in Australia, a person on unemployment benefits can keep getting them as long as they are unemployed and meet search requirements. They must prove that they are searching for work. But unless they are convicted of social security fraud, or come into a large sum of money; well they can keep getting benefits forever if they are looking for work.

But I noticed some of my American brethren and sistren saying that their unemployment benefits have time caps. I've never really understood that. What happens when your unemployment benefits cease? Are you allowed to starve to death in the gutter?

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 8:00 am

It is 'assumed' by money that if you can't find a job during the standard 26 week benefit period of unemployment that 'A) you arent' really looking or B) something is 'wrong with you' that makes you unemployable.

I have been on many interviews. Although I think I do well and meet multiple people during the interview and feel I make good repoire, I am told at the end that they are 'interviewing other candidates' and will be in touch within the next few days or weeks. I get rejected because they found someone 'stronger' (which is what I am told many times by recruiters) or want a specific skill set that I don't have.

NowWhat
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

The limit was extended to 52 weeks because there are so many people unemployed right now. We pay unemployment insurance out of every paycheck, and the benefits can be recharged and used again. Even the self employed pay into unemployment if they write themselves a paycheck. Unemployment amounts are based on how much someone was making while working. They aren't enough to maintain your previous standard of living, just enough to keep you from starving. There are other government systems for people that are unable to work like social security disability.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 3:41 pm

Hello!

After my unemployment benefits run out, I can continue to draw them, but I will probably have to return to college to do it. I'm looking into exactly what it's going take out of me to keep those benefits coming, until I can learn enough 'hot' skills to land a job that will pay enough to live comfortably.

Right now, I have a lot of people who are willing to help me with this, and for now, I am thankful.

Nice to know that about the land down under... I've always wanted to live in Australia anyway!

Have A Great Day!

Rob

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

Rob-N4RPS wrote:
Hello!

After my unemployment benefits run out, I can continue to draw them, but I will probably have to return to college to do it. I'm looking into exactly what it's going take out of me to keep those benefits coming, until I can learn enough 'hot' skills to land a job that will pay enough to live comfortably.

Right now, I have a lot of people who are willing to help me with this, and for now, I am thankful.

Nice to know that about the land down under... I've always wanted to live in Australia anyway!

Have A Great Day!

Rob

What exactly are these hot skills that you can learn that will

A) Lead to employment WITHOUT years of related experience in the field (other than schooling)

B) If you are older (meaning in your 30's or older) where you are expected to be established in your career.

I was looking into this school in the Boston area. When I spoke to the admission rep, they acted like I had 2 heads after I said that I already had 2 degrees and not currently employed (you are seen as a loser and freeloader in this part of the country)

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

Hello!

You did not specify what those two degrees were, but that could be a factor. There are a LOT of unemployed college-educated people out there already. Many of them were formerly employed in the financial services industry - which, I'm sure, has hit the Boston area as severely as it has hit Charlotte.

One thing that's big now is the need for welders and machinists, especially machinists with computer knowledge. This won't require four years of college, either.

It's a matter of doing research into which skills are not only the most lucrative, but also with the most growth potential over, let's say, the next decade or more. Also, the biggest edge with the government-sponsored programs is placement assistance.

The government will test me to assess the best career path for me, and then I'll pursue it. Siemens is bringing hundreds of jobs to Charlotte, and I can get into the program that will give me one of those jobs.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 8:57 pm

Rob-N4RPS wrote:
Hello!

You did not specify what those two degrees were, but that could be a factor. There are a LOT of unemployed college-educated people out there already. Many of them were formerly employed in the financial services industry - which, I'm sure, has hit the Boston area as severely as it has hit Charlotte.

One thing that's big now is the need for welders and machinists, especially machinists with computer knowledge. This won't require four years of college, either.

It's a matter of doing research into which skills are not only the most lucrative, but also with the most growth potential over, let's say, the next decade or more. Also, the biggest edge with the government-sponsored programs is placement assistance.

The government will test me to assess the best career path for me, and then I'll pursue it. Siemens is bringing hundreds of jobs to Charlotte, and I can get into the program that will give me one of those jobs.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

Yes, my degrees are in Accounting & Finance. I don't have public accounting experience or a CPA plus my work history isn't that great so that really limits my career options.

Right now, paying for more education isn't the issue since I have enough savings to last 3-4 years, it is obtaining employment after said program without said related experience and competing with fresh 20 somethings who always seem to have an edge when getting a job..

The unemployment office & others in this area (inquiring at various schools) seem to think something is wrong with me that I can't get a job with what I have and it does seem odd to be in your mid- late 30s and not have a career especially when most companies are hiring again at the fastest pace since the 1990s

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 4:58 am

Thanks for the perspectives. It's interesting. Sometimes it appears to be a lot of similarities between our countries, but other times the differences are startling. But as with all things, change is inevitable, and the landscape will look quite different when we are old enough to retire.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

in canada, you can currently get 15 to 45 weeks of regular Employment Insurance benefits, based on an intersection of the regional unemployment rates and how many hours the client worked in the year prior to the claim.

the client receives 55% of their average weekly earnings (calculated on the 6 months prior to claim commencement), up to a maximum of C$485 per week.

on a regular claim, a client may also be entitled to sickness benefits (up to 15 weeks, though the total combined weeks of benefits cannot exceed 50 in a year).

a client must gain enough additional hours to start a new claim if they need additional benefits after that. they can work part-time and earn up to 40% of their benefit rate and not affect their weekly benefits (current maximum C$194 per week) and gain new hours while still on claim. usually they need a minimum of 420 to 700 hours to start a new claim after the old one closes. the hours required depends on the regional unemployment rates.

after the employment insurance runs out, if they don't have enough hours to start a new claim and don't need sickness benefits, they will probably go on welfare.