Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Blax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

Hello, i have atypical autism, im extra sensitive to touch and often get into trouble with the police due to my suspicious behaviour, i dont see it as suspicious, the pigs do.
i always seem to have an upset stomach, when i eat i get a bad stomach and end up having a sort of diarrhea outburst, i always panic and i end up taking alot of upset stomach tablets and medicines, i seem to be addicted to it, i read that alot of autistic people get upset stomachs, does anyone else get this?

:D

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

I have IBS and suffer as you do but I have found out by a process of elimination over many years which foods are more likely to cause a flare up of the symptoms and so avoid. Foods to keep away from for me are dairy (milk,cheese), muesli, lentils, citric fruit juices, and the tough fibrous vegetables such as sweetcorn, peppers, onion (if not well cooked). Back in my early 20's when I first started to suffer I was constantly taking anti-acid tablets and other stomach medication like yourself but none of it did any good.

IBS is common and I don't think it is anything to do with autism though living in a state of heightened anxiety can exacerbate the symptoms.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

nemorosa wrote:
IBS is common and I don't think it is anything to do with autism though living in a state of heightened anxiety can exacerbate the symptoms.

Yup. I may not have meltdowns/shutdowns like most autistics, but when I'm subconsciously under a lot of stress my whole digestive system starts to screw around.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

Most people I know have IBS - mostly older people. I don't suffer with my stomach. I only sometimes get the runs occasionally. I very rarely (in fact never) get tummy bugs *touch wood*.

Quote:

Exactly. I don't think it's actual Autism what triggers it off, I think it's more anxiety and stress-related.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 6:19 pm

Stomach and intestinal problems seem to be common amongst us on the spectrum. I have IBS, and a kink in my bowel. Stress does increase the problems, and yes, this can all lead to diarrhea and/or constipation. Popping stomach meds can lead to a "bounce back" effect, leading to more stomach irritation, and the taking of more meds to make it feel better for a while. Also, Nemorosa is correct. You should try to figure out what foods may be aggravating your condition, and eliminate, or at least cut down on them. I have always had an acid stomach, and was taking meds for it from child hood on. I also was given frequent enemas as a small child to deal with constipation. Although my IBS and kinked bowel are a big part of my problem, I found out that stress was also a big factor, along with fried foods. Some years ago I almost eliminated fried foods from my diet. I still get breaded chicken and fish, but cook them in the toaster oven. I rarely fry things at home, but will occasionally buy fried foods at restaurants. Not long after I minimized fried food in my diet, I noticed a reduction in my stomach acid, and was able to reduce my intake of stomach meds. As for my stress, several years ago my living situation improved, and my stress levels went way down, and my excess stomach went down even more. Now I rarely take any stomach aids. This inspite of taking some meds that do cause stomach upset. I take them with meals, so the level of discomfort is only slight, and I am able to manage without the stomach meds.

You should cut down on, or eliminate fried foods from your diet to see if that helps. You should also be tested for an intolerance to gluten, and to dairy products. These can cause stomach and intestinal distress. If you have either a gluten or a dairy problem there are still plenty of foods you can eat.

Another part of my problem is, like many other people, I don't eat enough fruits and veggies. I am sensitive to some of them--citrus fruits upset my stomach, and I can't stand the smell or taste of bananas, for example. Others I would probably have liked if I had not first encountered them through my mother's cooking. She had a tendency to destroy the edibility of foods, including veggies. She would cook veggies into a state of tasteless mush. Meats she would cook into a dry, dessicated state. I always preferred to eat restaurant chicken, because hers was so dried out. She was very fond of fried foods, which became saturated with Crisco, which she bought in giant tubs. The walls and ceilings of the living room/dining room/kitchen area of the house also became saturated. It was a real fire hazard. I remember when my father finally wanted to repaint that area, it took him a long time to scrub all the thick coating of grease off the walls and ceiling. He wasn't happy about all that extra work. Fortunately, when my mother became elderly, us grown kids found out about oven fries. The ones from the store already have a thin layer of oil or grease on them to keep them from clumping together. This is enough to cook them with in the oven, spread out on a tray. It is also safer and less fatty than the old way. I managed to get my mother to switch to oven fries. The old way tastes better, but oven fries are less work, so she was willing to switch. If you are unable to give up fries at home, consider switching to oven fries, and do consider cutting down on all fried foods.

Good luck in your search for relief. And remember, we on the spectrum are all:

A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 6:25 pm

Blax wrote:
i read that alot of autistic people get upset stomachs, does anyone else get this?

There is no consistent association between autism and any gastrointestinal pathology, that is to say there is no association with a diagnosable disease. IBS (a syndrome) seems common.

Professor Michael Fitzgerald and others (e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2092499/ and http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... ?Doi=12342) talk about a continuum between alexithymia and functional GI disorders. A functional disorder is one without a pathology, but where function is not in the normal range - e.g. stomach upsets, pain and irregular bowel movements without a diagnosed disease.

Perhaps people with ASD are "out of touch" with bodily sensations (introception) and possibly can learn habits that promote regularity and reduce discomfort - I am trying this. I have learned that I do not have food intolerances, with stomach upsets that correspond very well with social interaction and social stress.

Blax wrote:
often get into trouble with the police due to my suspicious behaviour, i dont see it as suspicious, the pigs do.

Funny. I was almost arrested in Spain last night, in a horrible incident involving idiot airline staff. I did get home, after a major scene in the check-in area.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

I have IBS which is caused by food intolerances and anxiety\stress.

I have a very restricted diet and tend to avoid eating if I have to go out somewhere (can' t risk getting an upset stomach while away from home)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

I have a lot of digestive problems, but it's caused by my medication.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm

Over the years I've learnt to deal with IBS and it is completely stable now. Unless antibiotics give me trouble I am fine. It'll take time, food elimination and research to fix yourself once you develop digestive problems. I think I developed problems after a viral fever attack. My worrisome life complicated it until I found out it was IBS.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

I think I have a couple of ulcers

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

I've had upset stomachs since I was a child. I was diagnosed with IBS while I was at university. Since then I've seen a naturopathic/homeopathic medicine person and they diagnosed me as being gluten intolerant as well as having too much acid in my stomach and not enough good bacteria in my intestines. So, I've cut out gluten and have been taking supplements to increase digestive bacteria, and my stomach is much much improved. Stress always makes it worse though.