Would you date a guy that lives with his parents?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 7:04 pm

Wow. Thank you everyone. That was so supportive and... what's the word...validating!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

Actually, It is only common in the (spoiled) western world that you move out, if you just go to south of Europe, things are different, not because of culture (which isnt THAT different), but because of the housing problem - there aren't enough houses. Also, in countries where they do not have much money it is also common to share roof with your parents and take over as "breadwinner" for the family when they get older.

Now when the global recession hit us hard too, maby attitudes will change to the better.

I can say this about how i feel: i dated this girl last year that complained about dates she had that live with their parents, for me - that pretty much summed her up, i quickly labeled her as an unempathic ass, and we never saw eachother again, she wanted to be a "friend" to me, but i couldn't stand the sight her.

What goes around, comes around.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

I would and I did. He was 22 at the time, not 30, but his age wouldn't have made any difference.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 11:28 pm

I have trouble understanding why people make the generalization that all men who live with family are lazy slackers.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have trouble understanding why people make the generalization that all men who live with family are lazy slackers.

Precisely. I worked one year and four months at a job I hated to help my family with bills, food and household expenses and I would do it again, if it were necessary. Currently, I am an intern on a very low wage and I use most of my money to help my family: what is left goes to a savings account.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 11:43 pm

I wouldnt date a guy that lived with his parents. But its not the living with his parents part i dont like

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:08 am

I would expect that simply having the parent's so closely associated with his life would be a bigger problem than the fact that he couldn't afford to do otherwise.

I suppose if his relationship with his parents is age-appropriate and friendly/civil then it would be fine.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:09 am

Depends on if the parents are 'cool' :wink:

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:09 am

MXH wrote:
I wouldnt date a guy that lived with his parents. But its not the living with his parents part i dont like

You wound't date a guy, but you ARE one. God is that ever hypocritical.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:17 am

When writing an online profile, say you "rent a room from relatives", it sounds much better that way. :wink:

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 6:14 am

Yes...that was my first bf. :lol:

Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 8:01 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Depends on if the parents are 'cool' :wink:

:lol:

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

Yes. I have been interested in a few men who live at home. The last guy was 31 but his parents were 76 and 86. Do he was their carer. He also had a full time job and the house they shared was worth a few million and situated overlooking the sand dunes at the beach.

So I'm never in a rush

mv
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

It would depend. Could we reliably have intimate moments at his house without having to be quiet/risk embarrassment?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:09 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Precisely. I worked one year and four months at a job I hated to help my family with bills, food and household expenses and I would do it again, if it were necessary. Currently, I am an intern on a very low wage and I use most of my money to help my family: what is left goes to a savings account.

The savings account idea is excellent. That's what I would have done.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
MXH wrote:

You wound't date a guy, but you ARE one. God is that ever hypocritical.

He was being hypothetical. Or maybe he meant he wouldn't date a woman who lived with hers.