Would you date a guy that lives with his parents?

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:22 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
sucks that California is one of the most expensive states to live in, it costs more than a grand a month even for a 1 bedroom apartment

Yep, here too in BC.. while you can rent a room for ~$500 or a small basement suite in the suburbs with no laundry for around the same or so, condos in the city have some pretty high rents. The new 500sf condos next to where I work have a few rentals in the building.. for $2500-2700/month.. and that's far from the most expensive neighbourhood in the city.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
sucks that California is one of the most expensive states to live in, it costs more than a grand a month even for a 1 bedroom apartment

Yep, here too in BC.. while you can rent a room for ~$500 or a small basement suite in the suburbs with no laundry for around the same or so, condos in the city have some pretty high rents. The new 500sf condos next to where I work have a few rentals in the building.. for $2500-2700/month.. and that's far from the most expensive neighbourhood in the city.

British Columbia right? damn, I even heard that Hawaii and Alaska are more expensive than California

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
For that matter, why is it less of an issue if a woman lives with her parents?

Because...it's men's fault, men aren't being as hypergamous as women.

In social hierarchy, an independent person is usually higher than non-independent person (and full independence is a strong indication of wealth/self-financing).

A non-independent woman (who is not independent because she's not economcally capable) would seek a man who is capable to give her a way out of her dependence on parents; so she wouldn't consider a non-independent guy.

And an independent woman, would see the non-independent guy lower than her so she wouldn't consider him too.

Also non-independent woman will always at least be viewed as a potential housewife, while a non-independent man is viewed as a potential...nothing (Even in the MOST liberal and developed countries, stay-at-home dads are barely 1% of all dads).

So in all cases, the non-independent guy is f****d.

The only way this to change, is when males become pickier and set harder financial standards on the mates they choose - when most independant men reject women who aren't independent (and wouldn't accept otherwise) - the same way how women evaluate men since ever.

so true. and yet in my case it goes against my caring nature(something most women say they want) to move out and throw my family to the wind/possible homelessness, just so I can living in a empty apartment in the freezing cold to appear independent. that or get new roommates who may be murderers or rapists. funny how women feel better going to see a bf where they could be seen/attacked by strange guy roommates as better then a guy renting place with family as roommates.

I don't look forward to being "independent" as its going cause a huge fight with my family, likely leaving me all alone in this world.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

British Columbia right? damn, I even heard that Hawaii and Alaska are more expensive than California

Yes - Vancouver.. where small post WW2 houses (aka "Vancouver Specials") that are total bulldozer bait sell for more than $1Million. High real estate prices here make us the 2nd least affordable city on the planet for homes when comparing prices to local incomes. Only Hong Kong is more expensive vs. incomes, and Sydney Australia is right behind. All of that makes it a whole lot more socially acceptable to live with family.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 1:37 pm

you know of any guys in British Columbia, who are in their late 20's and even early 30's that live with their parents, not financially stable yet but yet that hasn't prevented them from getting a girlfriend?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 2:19 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
you know of any guys in British Columbia, who are in their late 20's and even early 30's that live with their parents, not financially stable yet but yet that hasn't prevented them from getting a girlfriend?

Yes.

One is now married.. and they live in his parents home - it's a cultural thing.

Another moved home with his mom & stepdad after a divorce from a woman and then began dating a guy and continued living at home while he had no money for a while. He's since moved in with his boyfriend and is the main breadwinner for their household.

Around here there are countless 20 somethings, especially students, living at home with their parents. Many of them have significant others.

Living at home and not being financially stable do not automatically preclude someone from having a relationship. Attitude & personality play a much bigger part. I'd say that depression, anxiety, and Aspie traits hold people back from developing relationships than where they live or how much money they have. (It's also those things that tend to hold people back from living elsewhere or having more money, too.)

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

maybe if i was gay

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

Yes.

One is now married.. and they live in his parents home - it's a cultural thing.

Another moved home with his mom & stepdad after a divorce from a woman and then began dating a guy and continued living at home while he had no money for a while. He's since moved in with his boyfriend and is the main breadwinner for their household.

Around here there are countless 20 somethings, especially students, living at home with their parents. Many of them have significant others.

Living at home and not being financially stable do not automatically preclude someone from having a relationship. Attitude & personality play a much bigger part. I'd say that depression, anxiety, and Aspie traits hold people back from developing relationships than where they live or how much money they have. (It's also those things that tend to hold people back from living elsewhere or having more money, too.)

ya, I will admit, at this point in my life i'm not looking to get married or settle down yet, just date around casually, some companionship and intimacy