What's your favorite perfume/scent to wear?

Page 3 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

Perfume that's too expensive. But I'm growing my own herb garden and going to try and make scented oils out of lavender and lilacs.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 3:50 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
I feel like I may be a rare bird with my olfactory super sensitivity.

When I get a whiff of perfume or cologne, I freak out and get really angry - it's not quite a total overload meltdown for me, but definitely effects me very negatively.

When people that I work with wear perfume, I have to work holding a tissue over my nose. When I get in an elevator where someone's left a scent, I've gotten out and taken the stairs (probably better for me to get some exercise anyway *l*). When I open public building doors, I often pull my sleeve down over my hand to open the door so I don't get someone's cologne on my hand (that can really ruin my day).

People who visit my home now have to follow the rule, no extra smells allowed. I can still smell colognes that were worn by someone in my home from 6 months ago. (No lie!)

I'm sorry. : (
No offense meant to anyone.

I wonder if anyone else has olfactory sensitivity. I've read that it can be a trait of AS / HFA, but the sensitivities I see people on here normally discussing are tastes, textures, sounds and visual sensitivities.

I do like some smells - in fact a lot. There's an essential oil called Neroli (made from orange flowers I believe) - that's nice to my nose 8) . I like the smell of fruits, especially pineapple and apples. And I love the smell of coffee.

Stuff that smells bad to other people still smells bad to me (like poop and manure) but actually don't bother me as much as perfume.....why is that?

Anyone else has this issue?

Yep - me too, you could be describing my sensitivities.

man-hands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2012, 6:24 am

"Coco" by Chanel
Champs Ellysees (I think this is Chanel also)
Perry Ellis "360"
Vanilla Musk
Dark Vanilla
White Musk
various scents by Estee Lauder
Red Door
Sunflower
Amarige

mommyof3texans
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

I actually love perfumes, it's probably my main girly thing since I'm not into hair, makeup or fashion at all.

Current list:

Valentino Absolu V - all time favorite
Kenzo Amour
Kat von D Saint
Burberry Brit
Lolita Lempicka Midnight
Delices de Cartier
Michael Kors Very Hollywood
D&G The One
Dior Hypnotic Poison
Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy
Armani Code

I am saving up to by Viktor Rolf Flowerbomb and can't wait to get it, I love how it smells

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
I feel like I may be a rare bird with my olfactory super sensitivity.

When I get a whiff of perfume or cologne, I freak out and get really angry - it's not quite a total overload meltdown for me, but definitely effects me very negatively.

When people that I work with wear perfume, I have to work holding a tissue over my nose. When I get in an elevator where someone's left a scent, I've gotten out and taken the stairs (probably better for me to get some exercise anyway *l*). When I open public building doors, I often pull my sleeve down over my hand to open the door so I don't get someone's cologne on my hand (that can really ruin my day).

People who visit my home now have to follow the rule, no extra smells allowed. I can still smell colognes that were worn by someone in my home from 6 months ago. (No lie!)

I'm sorry. : (
No offense meant to anyone.

I wonder if anyone else has olfactory sensitivity. I've read that it can be a trait of AS / HFA, but the sensitivities I see people on here normally discussing are tastes, textures, sounds and visual sensitivities.

I do like some smells - in fact a lot. There's an essential oil called Neroli (made from orange flowers I believe) - that's nice to my nose 8) . I like the smell of fruits, especially pineapple and apples. And I love the smell of coffee.

Stuff that smells bad to other people still smells bad to me (like poop and manure) but actually don't bother me as much as perfume.....why is that?

Anyone else has this issue?

I have olfactory issues, but mostly with cleaning chemicals, bug spray, stuff like that. And furniture refinishing stuff like lacquer and oil-based paint. I've had to leave work more than once when someone was painting a set in the studio.

I don't mind most perfumes, but I hate most men's colognes. Someone shook my hand and he left some horrible odor on my hand that I couldn't wash off. And I always know when someone's used the phone in my office. I know what you mean about smelling perfumes in your house long after the wearer has left. My co-worker lays it on so heavy you can taste it.

As for what I wear, I really liked Nanette Lepore that I got at Sephora--it was the cheapest option for a roll-on. I like those better than sprays. Sprays go all over the place. Unfortunately, Nanette Lepore roll-on was discontinued, so I had to get Daisy by Marc Jacobs.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

None they are all way too overpowering to me. I can't stand perfume. It's like sticking a red hot poker up my nose.

I can't even stand to be near someone wearing it.

Even some deoderants and shampoos are too heavily scented for me.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 8:42 pm

-Bath and Body Works Butterfly Garden
-Clinique Happy To Be
-Avon Sassy Mark

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

I can relate to the olfactory sensitivity. I'm not happy that other people have it but it's nice to be in good company that way.

Sometimes I use perfumes to cover up the smells of the world that I don't like. It works as long as they are light. Favorite is Avon's Haiku (smells like the woods in springtime to me). I have another that's vanilla orchid based and once in awhile somebody will say I smell like cookies. I figure cookies are a less offensive thing to smell like.

I also use scent-free deodorant (unless that's Haiku too), soap, laundry soap, fabric softener, and have to be pretty careful what I clean my house with. Going to therapy after the cleaning lady had just been there...with her ammonia on the windows and scented carpet sprinkle stuff...was kinda crazy. I chose to wait outside instead of the waiting room. When I'm especially stressed I can smell the bleach they used on the grocery store floor at midnight, all day long, strongly. But some things can smell amazingly wonderful too...magnolia's, jasmine, and I can find some rich woodsy smells really comforting and calm me down when I'm upset, which is probably why I like the Haiku.
When I worked in a hospital I could smell a lot of odd stuff in a useful way and thankfully, because I worked for the lab and the results always backed me up, the staff didn't think it was too wierd.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2012, 4:17 pm

My favorites:

Chanel #5
Obsession
Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar
Estee Lauder Beautiful

I just spray a tiny bit in front of me and walk into the spray as it's one way to get some scent without it being too overpowering for others. Even then, I have good friends who are allergic to perfumes, so when I'm around them, I don't wear anything other than deodorant.

Mishra2012
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2012, 7:08 pm

Escada Magnestism has been my main scent for 8 years. I like sweet, fruity, spicey scents and those scents smell the best on me.
Jordan Sparks is my newest one it smells really good lasts long and was so cheap! It's actual perfume to not body splash or toilette spray.
I purchased the perfume an exfriend of mine use to wear for good memories lol.

Domisoldo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2012, 7:14 pm

ALLERGIES. They're annoying. I've worn Poison by Dior for 15 years, but I had to renounce it. Now I sometimes put lavender essence oil on my clothes, not my skin...

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2012, 11:26 pm

blue_bean wrote:

THIS THREAD IS NOW DIAMONDS!!

^That made my day :lol:

I find it surprising that many of us would be able to stand wearing any sort of scent at all. I always smell things in the store and love them and try a sample, but ALWAYS regret it. It just lingers and overwhelms...bleh!

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 3:28 am

I can't wear traditional perfume. Drives my nose crazy -- I'll sneeze for days afterwards. But I can usually handle bath gels. My favorites are food smells. Right now I'm using Suave Blackberry. Other scents I love are Cherry Blossom, Basil, Fig, Pear, and Grapefruit.

lovesthesunshine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2012, 4:48 am

Nina Ricci - Nina

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

I like a wide variety of perfumes, though with a few exceptions. I don't like anything "green", "fresh", "soft", "natural" or "lovely". So basically any of those spring, summer, ladylike perfumes are out. My current favorite are Yves Rocher's Voile D'Ambre and Vanille Noire. They are very affordable but smell more expensive. :D

No matter how nice a perfume is, usually by the end of a 50ml bottle I'm quite sick of it and feel ready to move on to a new one, so I rarely repurchase any. The good thing is it never bothers me if something is discontinued. :)

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 11:14 am

I usually trust Chanel no. 5, but I also like Dior, Prada and Laura Biagotti