Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

hale_bopp wrote:
You can move.

You don't need thousands of dollars.

You do need to be fairly secure unless you plan on being homeless, it is expensive to travel to different areas. The United States is a big country compared to New Zealand, he would also need a deposit for a flat and money for ground rent, bills, transport and living expenses.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 10:09 am

Wolfheart wrote:
rabbittss wrote:
If you can't tell, I hate where I live. So, unless you are offering to give me the money to move, I'm fairly well stuck here. It's something of the catch 22 with tiny towns. There aren't any jobs that pay enough to live off of let alone save up the thousands of dollars one would need to move to a new place with.

Look for people who want to do flat sharing on websites like gumtree or find something that is all inclusive, you would save yourself some money if you shared with a few other people and it's far easier when you can chip in on the bills and ground rent. You might need to save some money for a deposit on a flat and to buy food until you find a job though.

Considering the size of America, I imagine it would cost a fair amount of money to travel across also, I guess there's more work in North America.

Exactly. I mean there is work here. But right now, I'm tied down with school in addition to being broke. I could move down the road 5-10 miles but it wouldn't really help me that much because I'd still be in the same geographic region I'm in now. I'd have to move hundreds of miles to get some place I'd prefer. And unfortunately that just requires a lot of money.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

SoftlyStepping wrote:
Consider a long distance relationship.

It worked for me. It was tough at first, but one day I moved in and it just became a relationship.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 5:08 am

So I created a new OKCupid account 3 days ago.
-Messaged someone that lives 20 minutes away.
--Turns out we'd met a month before.

her reply was "i think we've met before at[...]"

-now i'm thinking.. oh s**t...
--reply back with "*full on damage control now."
---we message back and forth for a half hour.
here's were it gets interesting, she's a good friend of more than a few people who know me, but we've only met once before.
I can already smell the (lack of) body language from a month ago, but here's the kicker:
there's no way to tell for damn sure until you get rejected :D

one thing i do know is: I'll still be single in 5 years.
I mentioned that to a long time friend of mine at a party last week end. He says "yeah, if you want to be"
gawd!

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:45 am

rabbittss wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
rabbittss wrote:
If you can't tell, I hate where I live. So, unless you are offering to give me the money to move, I'm fairly well stuck here. It's something of the catch 22 with tiny towns. There aren't any jobs that pay enough to live off of let alone save up the thousands of dollars one would need to move to a new place with.

Look for people who want to do flat sharing on websites like gumtree or find something that is all inclusive, you would save yourself some money if you shared with a few other people and it's far easier when you can chip in on the bills and ground rent. You might need to save some money for a deposit on a flat and to buy food until you find a job though.

Considering the size of America, I imagine it would cost a fair amount of money to travel across also, I guess there's more work in North America.

Exactly. I mean there is work here. But right now, I'm tied down with school in addition to being broke. I could move down the road 5-10 miles but it wouldn't really help me that much because I'd still be in the same geographic region I'm in now. I'd have to move hundreds of miles to get some place I'd prefer. And unfortunately that just requires a lot of money.

I understand, so the best thing to do in your situation is to focus on your academic pursuits until you are in a position to move. You could always contact people online that may be willing to support you on a temporary basis if they know about your situation. A friend of mine lived with someone for a small amount of rent and provided he did some work around the place, also sometimes there are jobs on farms advertised which provide a place to stay and all inclusive bills so that is another possibility.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

I don't know this site, but I'm on POF. However, I'm unsure about the "Free" thing. It seems I have to pay for "Expanded" Membership if I'm going to find out who might actually want to meet me.. WTH??
Never been on OKCupid. But I certainly got ripped off by eHarmony & Chemistry. Neither do what they say they do. (Plus, Chemistry made an unathorized withdrawl on my bankcard, causing me to go into the Red..).

Matt

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

The thing to remember is that OKCupid, eHarmony and all the others are not there to find you true love, regardless of their mission statement (this should be considered a nice bonus if it happens). They are businesses. The aim is to sign up as many people as possible, have them fork over cash and keep doing so. Actually, if you do find love on one of these sites you'll have no reason to pay them any more money!!

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

I understand that. But I think they over-sell themselves, frankly (esp. eHarmony).
My issue with Chemistry (which I got two dates out of in a year) was that after 6 months, it was supposed to be free. They did NOT state they would re-instate their fee, nor did they notify me about it.
I had to shut down my checking account because of this.
And I don't ask for "True Love" just a decent date or two! LOL

Matt