Being humiliated if you don't know about certain things like

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
People would constantly ask each other about sex-related things in junior high, and I had no clue what they were talking about. When they asked me, I would just answer "I don't know" to questions like "Are you a virgin?". I was extremely confused at the time.

I remember when I was 10 somebody asked me if I was a virgin, I said ''no''. But that was because I thought ''virgin'' meant somebody who HAS had sex. That is probably a common mistake a lot of children make, and nobody humiliated me. The person sort of knew I didn't quite understand, and so she laughed nicely and said, ''ha, you've had sex'', but I knew she wasn't humiliating me horribly, she was just joking. She admitted that she had made that mistake the day before asking me, and had learnt from then. :)
That reminds me of a time when I was eight, and a woman told me, "you're articulate". I told her, "I'm not ret*d! I know how to talk good!". I thought articulate meant you didn't know how to talk. She laughed, but it was one of those "how adorable" laughs. I was so confused until she told me what articulate meant.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

I was ignorant of a lot of things when I started high school. For some fortunate reason, though, my classmates were actually eager to educate me, not so they could feel superior, but because they genuinely seemed to want to help me. Bless their delinquent hearts... :P
Actually, the main reason I know a fair amount of drugs now is personal experience. In the past, I'd tried everything but crack, meth, and heroin.
As for music, you might say it's my special interest, so no issues there.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 2:07 am

Oh hell yes. I went through a lot of that crap when I was a kid and at school. I would usually ask them to explain whatever it was they were talking about, if I didn't know. Some of them would explain it, but most of them laughed and razzed me for not knowing whatever it was. I just walked away and let them have their laughs.

People that pick on others over nonsense like that are bullies that haven't got anything better to do, IMHO.

Of course now being older and (hopefully somewhat) wiser, I've learned most of that stuff about sex and drugs. As one of the earlier posts said, Urban Dictionary is a great resource for deciphering slang and street talk.

As far as pop culture goes, I tend to ignore most of it because so much of it has gotten to be stupid reality TV, or trashy celebrity gossip that isn't worth wasting my time on, as far as I'm concerned. Being a music guy, I do keep up with what's going on with that for the most part.

The only one that ever really bothered me was when I started high school. This guy that played guitar in a local band had recently played at a dance (and was a student) at our school. He was a really good guitar player, so I tried to befriend him. All he would ever say to me is, "What are you into?" No matter what I said back to him, he just repeated the same question, over and over. To this day, I still don't understand what he wanted to know.

:shrug:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:46 am

I had people asking me what sexual slang words meant all the time. The thing is, I knew about the mechanics of reproduction from a young age, and probably knew more than them on that matter. I was the first child in school to know where babies come from - but I didn't know the slang words for body parts or sexual acts until I was in my teens. That was hilarious, apparently.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 9:42 am

Quote:
"What are you into?"

He just wanted to know what bands and artists you like.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:45 pm

Well if I am discussing something with someone and they are unfamiliar with some info I will gladly educate them, not make fun of them for not knowing what I was talking about. So I don't know why people would humiliate you for not having all the knowledge of a topic especially if its not a topic you're interested in.

Don't know if you have any special interests, but if so how much do you imagine these people know about that? so maybe try to think about that...but I don't know if that applies to your situation.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

When I was a teenager and younger, I didn't know what a lot of stuff was. It was embarrassing, but not humiliating at all. To this day I mix up famous people. It's just a running joke around here now.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

I must admit, I did actually know about the menstrual cycle at a very early age - possibly as young as 4. I think my mum used to tell me about it, or perhaps I used to watch her change her thing when I was in the bath or something, I don't know. But when I did sex education in school at age 9, I kind of already knew all about it. Well, I didn't know all the ins and outs, but I knew what happens to girls and boys and how they have sex, etc. Some kids didn't even know anything about it at all, and others already knew some stuff about it.

But it's not so much that - it's all these words we're ''supposed to'' know to these questions, like ''what is a blowjob?'' ''what is an erection?'' ''what does selling your body mean?'' and so on. It gets on my nerves that all these teenagers are supposed to know how to talk dirty.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

Today's society is way oversexualized. Before the industural revolution, it wasn't uncommon for girls to get married and start having children as young as 14; but sex wasn't so public like it is today. Girls are starting to go through puberity as young as five these days but I suspect that has something to do with all the horomones in the food today. Just because a girl's body functions as a full grown woman's, that dosen't mean her mind is. Virginity was once a virtue; now there is so much stigma to celibacy. It seems as if everyone's goal in life is to get laid.