Autism in France: Psychoanalysis, Packing, Other Travesties

Page 13 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2014, 4:48 am

SpirosD wrote:
SweetTooth wrote:
Best enjoyed with a Gauloise hanging loosely from a corner of your mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeQXdh43eE

Edit: Except SpirosD of course. He is a hero for his statement about Godard.

Ah ah, brilliant song... Sadly I would agree with this song, and I'm half from this smelly cheese eating country.
EDIT : About Godard, the man is not even French, he's Swiss living in his tax heaven country using French public money to make his intellectual boring films.

If you ever seek refuge, I hereby invite you for Dutch cheese and Belgian beer in my "narco-État". (That is what Chirac called The Netherlands once, I believe.) And we even have a few film festivals to boot.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2014, 6:06 am

SweetTooth wrote:
SpirosD wrote:
SweetTooth wrote:
Best enjoyed with a Gauloise hanging loosely from a corner of your mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeQXdh43eE

Edit: Except SpirosD of course. He is a hero for his statement about Godard.

Ah ah, brilliant song... Sadly I would agree with this song, and I'm half from this smelly cheese eating country.
EDIT : About Godard, the man is not even French, he's Swiss living in his tax heaven country using French public money to make his intellectual boring films.

If you ever seek refuge, I hereby invite you for Dutch cheese and Belgian beer in my "narco-État". (That is what Chirac called The Netherlands once, I believe.) And we even have a few film festivals to boot.

Would love to move there, but would it be possible after the cheese and the beer to stop in of one the many world famous cafés the Netherlands are known for? Last time there I enjoyed the Dampkring :mrgreen: Plus the Netherlands is the home of my all time favorite filmmaker (who has a PhD in mathematics but instead chose to make films) and without his influence I would have never wanted to make films myself :-)
But on a more serious note, you guys treat people with Autism much better, and having Asperger's is not something that will turn you down from a job or considers you has a pariah to society.
On a sad note, Chirac might have called you guys a "narco-état" but recently the secretary of women's right called you guys a "whore state" and other politicians called you guys "evil pimps", "prostitute state" and many other names I rather not say. Seems that Frogland (that how I call France) hates countries with to much freedoms.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 10:40 pm

J'ai lu tout ça, et je ne me revien pas comment c'est encore primitif dans des places :(

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

virnal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

As if I needed a reason to feel poorly this morning.

pj4990
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2014, 5:38 pm

Wow...I'm glad I don't live in France any more!

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2014, 1:05 am

In late 2013 I was getting interested in planning my next life. My spirit guide saw this and opened up a Life Book for my next upcoming life in Paris, France earlier this year, with the first name of Adrien.

In fact, apart from possibly having my own family with two sons, and later on a few grandkids -- hasn't happened yet...

I was reading up on Paris, France because that's where I want to reincarnate into in my next life. I almost stopped in my tracks when read that France is not quite there yet when it comes to Autism related help.

So, I'm hoping that when I go into that next life as Adrien in Paris, France, and choose to have Autism genes (or maybe we just keep moving forward and the autism gets more severe as each life is experienced)....that there will be the same kind, or even better detection 30 or 40 years from now.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:23 am

:roll: :roll: :roll:

piglubabe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2015, 12:39 pm

It;s not only about France. The majority of the world think that Autism should be cured.

alomoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

Weird. Hopefully, I do not meet with anyone who is like this. I want to become a psychologist. Now naturally, I'm on the opposing side of literally everything I've seen here. I've actually more expected professionals' opinion to relate it to some kind of deformity. Whether that is true or not doesn't matter.

nAgapUnk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2015, 9:32 am

howdy folks,
this is my very first post on wrong planet forums. i'm french. autistic they say.
I was diagnosed recently and was always told by psychiatrists autism was "an other intelligence" which make me feel like I'm a plant or an animal unrelated to the human specie, as we hear a lot nowadays about the "other intelligence" to describe the plant kingdom or the way animals behave.
as a matter of fact I was always very close to animals and animals to me, like if i can read them. and the same special focus on plants.
I believe autists, or at least in my case, can catch in a glimps informations that are hidden to normally functionning brains; indeed like the un-deciphered way animals do catch information, for example the mapping of migratory birds and so on...
psychiatrists are very cautious not to box me in, and they prefer to use so far general ideas like "you are hyper- sensitive"and "extremely imaginative" when it comes to consider an intellectual object. :heart:

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2015, 10:14 pm

When I was a little girl in the 80's, they didn't diagnosis me with Aspergers. That was for boys only! And it was RARE, right? Instead they told me I had a learning disability in expressive language and they sent me to a Freudian analyst for my social problems. This dude was convinced that my jealousy toward my brother was behind all my social and behavior problems. He lay in a lounge chair during our sessions. He reported back everything I said to my parent. He kept asking about pubic hair. It was disturbing in the extreme. I didn't have the words to explain how awful this was to me. I went to him from the age of 8 - 12. I stopped when I ran away from home to demonstrate my commitment to stopping.

I became strongly interested in the field of psychology as I tried to put into words the harm this man did to me. I've known for a long time that his methods have been thoroughly proven ineffective in children. Its just now hitting me that I'm another case of trying to treat autism with psycho-anaysis. I'm not alone! And I'm not wrong that this was abusive!! ! Its not just a bizzarro individual case of abusive therapy.

My jaw is dropping right now. I've never seen this issue addressed before. I had lessons in "refrigerator mothers" and "infant psychosis" when I was an undergraduate student for Education. But this is today, not a historical figment.

(A little aside, if you watch the old Little House On The Prairie, the boy who played Albert is on the spectrum. As an infant in the early 70's, he was diagnosed as schizophrenic.)

The link to the actual movie is dead. Can someone help me find this documentary? I think it would be very meaningful to watch it.

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

After doing a ton of reading/searching, this is the only English part of the film left standing. Its just a transcript. http://deevybee.blogspot.com/2012/01/ps ... utism.html

I also found Alex's promo for "Shameful: Autism in France." I would love a update on what's going on.

Apparently, the movie "Le Mur" or The Wall is back on youtube, but only in French without subtitles, after a long legal battle.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 9:48 pm

When is "Shameful" due? I can't find anything recent related to it. Are y'all "stuck"?

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2015, 2:11 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
When is "Shameful" due? I can't find anything recent related to it. Are y'all "stuck"?

I would also like to know the status of the documentary. Can you update us about it, Alex?

umwelt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2016, 10:15 am

As an immense french philosopher said:

"... I first became aware that I had accepted, even from my youth, many false opinions for true, and that consequently what I afterward based on such principles was highly doubtful; and from that time I was convinced of the necessity of undertaking once in my life to rid myself of all the opinions I had adopted, and of commencing anew the work of building from the foundation" (René Descartes)

Not just psychoanalysis is in trouble, but psychiatry its at a crossroads.

"...Since the “Decade of the Brain” was inaugurated in 1990, we have witnessed twenty-five years of intensive neuroscience research aimed at finding effective therapies, yet relatively little has changed in terms of treatment options and approaches. Meanwhile, the rise of biological psychiatry has displaced psychosocial and psychotherapeutic approaches in psychiatric training and practice, resulting in what some observers have perceived as less humane and patient-centered care.
From a critical and political economic perspective, the involvement of the pharmaceutical industry and managed care corporations has created conflicts of interest that threaten the credibility and accountability of psychiatry as a helping profession [...] The concept of the “mental” has a cultural history that is related to notions of personhood, agency, and morality, with important consequences for how we respond to people with psychiatric problems (Kirmayer, 1988; Miresco & Kirmayer, 2006)."*

The so called 'mental problems' are constructed relying on our cultural background. There are cultural differences in how we interpret behavior and those interpretations can lead to huge different versions of the same events or phenomena. The cultural differences includes any academic tradition, and the ways that tradition tackles the questions, and even the formulation of the questions themselves.

[*] Source: Kirmayer, L.J., Lemelson, R. & Cummings C. (Eds.) Re-Visioning Psychiatry: 
Cultural Phenomenology, Critical Neuroscience and Global Mental Health (pp. 1-38) New York: Cambridge University Press.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 11:05 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_therapy
Psychotherapy as Religion: The Civil Divide in America (not limited to america, but in this book)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1896314/
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 868#page-1
and don't forget bigpharma's (the banking-branch of religion) social-engineering: consumerism